CBS: Three commitments in four days -- Bruce Pearl is back

RunInRed

Three commitments in four days -- Bruce Pearl is back

By Jeff Borzello | College Basketball Writer

August 25, 2014 11:29 am ET

The biggest college basketball headline going into the weekend was the NCAA-issued, three-year show-cause coming to an end for Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl.

And the biggest story coming out of the weekend is Pearl and the Tigers landing three impact recruits in a four-day span.

Of course, the two go hand-in-hand.

Pearl and Auburn went all-out this weekend when his NCAA penalty officially ended. The Tigers had a four-star target in Pearl's office as soon as the clock struck midnight on Saturday night, and then they hosted their elite camp on Sunday – for which multiple targets in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 were on campus.

As a result, Auburn exits the weekend with one of the 10 best recruiting classes in the country for 2015.

Read more: http://www.cbssports...e-pearl-is-back

Although it's August, Auburn was the biggest story in college basketball for four days. On Friday, it was Purifoy. On Saturday, it was Pearl's show-cause ending. On Sunday, it was Spencer. And on Monday morning, it was Dunans. When is the last time a non-blue blood owned headlines like this?

That's an outstanding point...

Although it's August, Auburn was the biggest story in college basketball for four days. On Friday, it was Purifoy. On Saturday, it was Pearl's show-cause ending. On Sunday, it was Spencer. And on Monday morning, it was Dunans. When is the last time a non-blue blood owned headlines like this?

That's an outstanding point...

Yes it is. I can't remember AU ever having basketball headlines like that.

This is going to be fun.

I'm so glad we are now a basketball school instead of a football school. ;D

I'm so glad we are now a basketball school instead of a football school. ;D

Come on now, you know Auburn's identity is as a swimming powerhouse...:tease:

I'm so glad we are now a basketball school instead of a football school. ;D/>

Come on now, you know Auburn's identity is as a swimming powerhouse...:tease:/>

Equestrian

Aubie said hello...

Where are the uninformed people that have been parroting the "Auburn can't recruit in basketball until they drop under armour".??

On Another note, build it, and they will come. In this case, we didn't build Coach Pearl, but we plugged him in and they are coming.

I guess, at least in his case, the initials BP carry more weight than any shoe logo.

Swimming and equestrian have set standards that basketball and football are unlikely to equal.

That having been said, the excuses of Under Armor and AAU making it impossible to recruit top basketball talent are ringing quite hollow today, which pleases me no end. Those were, after all, nothing but excuses.

Swimming and equestrian have set standards that basketball and football are unlikely to equal.

That having been said, the excuses of Under Armor and AAU making it impossible to recruit top basketball talent are ringing quite hollow today, which pleases me no end. Those were, after all, nothing but excuses.

While I agree in principle, I do not believe it across the board. A coach like Pearl, (or any top level coach), can recruit anyone no matter the schools affiliation. Mid tier "up and comers" need the aid of the Nike name and AAU connections to pull better talent. To say it was just an excuse of Lebo and Barbee that they couldn't get top flight talent because the UnderArmor connection isn't fair. Mid tier unknown coaches are helped by the Nike connection in recruiting. I just think we are lucky to have such an enormous talent like Pearl to lead our program who can recruit anyone in the country.

I think we will be a big winner in BB in the near future, but win or lose it is great to see the fun that Coach Pearl has brought to the team and to the university!

I'm to the point now that I'm very disappointed in my AUFamily brethren when there are no new posts in the basketball board.

Don't y'all know bball season is coming ... And we will pushing for championships ... Starting this season ... Well er um ... How about some time ... In the future ...

Bring on all Auburn sports!!! It's a new season and a new day for all things Auburn!

I'm glad to see a lot of new faces in the BB forum. It was quite barren in the Lebo/Barbee years.

does he have room for all these ?

Sure. Two more were processed today. We'll have plenty of room for top prospects, just like everybody else has. Just show the less talented players the road. I don't have a problem with this, this ain't some rec league ball. It's produce or clear out when you reach this level.

I'm glad to see a lot of new faces in the BB forum. It was quite barren in the Lebo/Barbee years.

I, for one, never even visited this forum before Bruce was hired. I'm not a huge basketball fan, but he has me interested again.

Still a long way back. I'm sure good coaching will bring out the best in our guys. Kentucky has signed 11 5 stars in the previous 3 years. Let that sink in...

Archived