Malzahn's Weekly Presser - Arkansas Edition

RunInRed

HC Gus Malzahn

Malzahn is now here. Starts off by mentioning Arkansas' offense returning seven starters, including RBs Alex Collins/Jonathan Williams

Malzahn: "Jeremy Johnson will start. Nick Marshall will play. I'm not ready to say how much, but he'll play."

Malzahn: "Nick has handled himself very well during fall camp. ... He's ready to go when called upon."

Malzahn: "Josh Holsey will start in place of Jonathon Mincy."

Malzahn has no update on Star Robenson Therezie's status.

Gus Malzahn said LB Anthony Swain has "big-game experience" and the coaching staff was pleased how he responded during fall camp.

@wareagleextra

Malzahn: "we don't know" if it'll stretch multiple games with Therezie

Malzahn: "first games, special teams are usually a factor one way or the other."

@JamesCrepea

Malzahn on Robenson Therezie: "We just didn't feel like we needed to put him on (the depth chart) until (his eligibility issue's) resolved."

Malzahn wouldn't say if the game could factor into when Marshall enters the game: "We have a plan and they know the plan."

Malzahn on when he notified Johnson he was going to start: "Jeremy's known that for awhile." Johnson said he didn't know 2 weeks ago.

Malzahn on fr. Tre' Williams & Stephen Roberts: "Both those guys have earned this way to get that spot & we think both them have a chance."

Malzahn on senior RBs Corey Grant & Cam Artis-Payne: "We have confidence in both those guys to run our entire offense. … They're 1 and 1A."

@AUBlog

Gus Malzahn says Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber each have a chance to be No. 3 running back behind Corey Grant and Cameron Artis-Payne

Gus Malzahn on comeback Shon Coleman making Auburn's starting lineup: "You root for a guy like that." ...and "He's a football player."

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn on Jeremy Johnson: We have a lot of confidence in him to run our entire offense. Says he knows the whole playbook

@jzenor

Malzahn says Jeremy Johnson is a lot like Marshall, very competent - played a similar style offense in high school.

Malzahn says Nick Marshall has responded well to the consequences for his actions and is ready to go.

Malzahn: Coach Bielema is a fairly aggressive coach, especially when it comes to special teams.

@melissaykim

Malzahn on P/K Daniel Carlson "he's extremely talented and a great competitor"

@ITATJason

Malzahn says Auburn is preparing for anything and everything from the Hogs

@SheldonFox6

DT Jeff Whitaker is in the house ...

Senior DL Jeff Whitaker now here. "It was devastating to go down in back-to-back seasons and miss all of last year."

@wareagleextra

Whitaker: "I was passing out water on the sideline, I'm glad I don't have to do that again"

Whitaker on last year/Coach Bielema criticizing Coach Malzahn & hurry up offense: "I stay out of that."

@melissaykim

Whitaker on the defensive line: "This is a group with a lot of potential."

@JamesCrepea

Jeff Whitaker "I love the contact" talking about facing a powerful running team like Arkansas

@ITATJason

Whitaker on Shon Coleman overcoming cancer to start for Auburn: "It's a blessing. It's a miracle. I'm proud of him.

@AUGoldMine

OG Chad Slade met the media as well ...

Slade: "We have confidence in both our quarterbacks."

@JamesCrepea

Slade on Jeff Whitaker: "I tell him you gotta stop playin or you're gonna break some bones, you're so old."

Slade says #Auburn has the potential to be one of the best lines in the SEC.

@melissaykim

OT Shon Coleman ...

Coleman said he's excited about being a starter for the first time on Saturday

Coleman says he's watched a lot of film on Trey Flowers to get ready for the matchup on Saturday.

Coleman "He (Greg Robinson) was a great player and I'm on a journey to be a great player myself"

@ITATJason

Cancer survivor/Auburn starting LT Shon Coleman's philosophy: "Just live. Just have a good time out there. Have fun and play hard."

@jzenor

Shon Coleman's voice is so low that is could shatter glass. The (fictitious) House of Treble hates it when this guy walks in.

@JayGTate

Shon Coleman: "My story has inspired a lot of people and I'm happy for that."

@JamesCrepea

RB Cameron Artis Payne

Cameron-Artis Payne says he'll be the next Tre Mason

@SheldonFox6

Cameron Artis-Payne on if he had to carry the ball 20+ times a game: "I'm built to last. I can do that."

Cameron Artis-Payne on Malzahn's "plan" for QBs: "I have no idea what the plan is. They know it, I don't know it."

@JamesCrepea

Cameron Artis-Payne said he's confident in the offense and feels like they can do some good things again

@ITATJason

I'm glad that Gus is not revealing when and how much Nick will play. That tells me: If JJ struggles we'll see Nick earlier than expected. If JJ does well...we probably will not see Nick until the 2nd half.

I hope JJ show up big time on Saturday. It will be great for him and AU to get that confidence for more PT this year and then for him to potentially take over next year.

Malzahn: Coach Bielema is a fairly aggressive coach, especially when it comes to a buffet.

FIFY coach.

I know we don't always agree on politics but I laughed about 5 minutes straight after I read your post. That was Hilarious!!

Do we have a post of the year contest? If so, I have a nominee!

Malzahn: Coach Bielema is a fairly aggressive coach, especially when it comes to a buffet.

FIFY coach.

I know we don't always agree on politics but I laughed about 5 minutes straight after I read your post. That was Hilarious!!

We agree on many things. We don't have to agree on everything. The most important thing right now is, that you kick Britt's sorry butt in the Touchdown Auburn Bowl. NO MERCY for Britt!

I'm glad that Gus is not revealing when and how much Nick will play. That tells me: If JJ struggles we'll see Nick earlier than expected. If JJ does well...we probably will not see Nick until the 2nd half.

Fine by me. I have said it multiple times but I am fine with not knowing. I don't know why everyone (read: the media) thinks they deserve to know the plan for Marshall.

FIFY coach.

We agree on many things. We don't have to agree on everything. The most important thing right now is, that you kick Britt's sorry butt in the Touchdown Auburn Bowl. NO MERCY for Britt!

Oh, I am on it! :)

Thanks, RIR.

I am getting nervous, not because I don't believe we're going to do well, but mostly because last year we didn't have all these expectations of an awesome year. Now we do. I am going to try and focus on one win at a time!

By the way, some of those questions were just plain stupid...

By the way, some of those questions were just plain stupid...

I've often said those who say there's no such thing as a dumb question have never been to a press conference.

Fine by me. I have said it multiple times but I am fine with not knowing. I don't know why everyone (read: the media) thinks they deserve to know the plan for Marshall.

Agree.

FIFY coach.

Oh, I am on it! :)

:-\ :roflol:

FIFY coach.

Oh, I am on it! :)/>

:-\/> :roflol:/>

Hi Britt. ;D

FIFY coach.

Oh, I am on it! :)/>

:-\/> :roflol:/>

Hi Britt. ;D

I think there's already a thread for this discussion ... no need to hijack this one.

;D

Archived