Anyone else notice this???

OnthePlains

Just read this on ESPN Insider, coaches picking who they think will reach playoff and comments on why they will or wont. Anyone concerned about soft practices? Dumb scheduling?

“Everything went right for them last year," one of the two coaches said. "Word on the street is that their practices have turned soft -- not practicing physical, protecting top players, etc.”

That feels exaggerated, but it’s something to watch. And if it is true, you’ll see a shift in the team’s rushing total. Auburn was No. 1 in the country in 2013, averaging 20 more rushing yards a game than any FBS team.

I’m told H-back Jay Prosch will prove as difficult to replace as anyone, and there is plenty to be replaced. When I visited with DC Ellis Johnson last week, he was cautiously optimistic about the pass rush, but acknowledged that losing DE Carl Lawson (spring ACL tear) for at least a part of the season will be difficult to overcome.

Regardless of how “lucky” Auburn was in 2013 (and it was), the 2014 schedule will be its demise. Even those on the payroll acknowledge that. On top of a conference slate that includes Georgia and South Carolina from the East and ends in Tuscaloosa, where Alabama will be driven by the Kick Six, there’s a Thursday night game at Kansas State that one person close to the program called “dumb scheduling.”

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word on the street is that our closed practices have gone soft? Word on the street is that the next Heisman QB will be Jacob Coker. Both of these statements are in no way justifiable with facts.

Well if by protecting top players they mean Marhsall and JJ not being live so what? They only went live last year so coach knew what they had. Not needed this year and VERY few D1 schools let their QB go live at any time during practice. But this feels like one of those pieces where the writer can go back to regardless and say he had it right. AU has bad season? Ohhh I wrote an article about soft practice so I saw this coming. AU has a good season? Ohhh well that mystery coach had no idea what he was talking about.

To be Devil's Advocate here....

This is something we should be able to point to if things don't live up to expectations this year. Rumors flew around about Chizik not holding players accountable for workouts etc (not saying this is the same thing at all, but somewhat similar in that it would effect team toughness/strength), also i remember this board when somebody reported how a walk-on in their class stated they would only win 7 or 8 games in 2012 and everybody freaked out (lol ended up only winning 3).

I hope, hope, hope these quotes are not coming from somebody who is actually in the know.

Why is everybody so quick to say its crap?

It could be true. We don't know.

Consider the source, and anonymous "coaches" speaking out. C'mon.

They also have LSU and a Miller-less Ohio St ahead of AU in the pecking order s TIFIW. I guess I was surprised at the apparent harshness of the write up and Im dang sick and tired of seeing "lucky" next to 2013 Auburn Tigers.

Malzahn has first hand experience with what happens to a team when it goes soft. Does anyone honestly think he would make that mistake? How about Grimes? Or Garner? Craig? Johnson? Soft coaches? Yeah, sure.

Malzahn has first hand experience with what happens to a team when it goes soft. Does anyone honestly think he would make that mistake? How about Grimes? Or Garner? Craig? Johnson? Soft coaches? Yeah, sure.

Ah, this answer is much more comforting. I would think Gus knows the team can't operate at its full potential without pushing the players during practice.

Why is everybody so quick to say its crap?

It could be true. We don't know.

I have heard from numerous sources that Gus is very demanding and meticulous . If you want to believe the earth is flat, that's on you.

“Everything went right for them last year," one of the two coaches said. "Word on the street is that their practices have turned soft -- not practicing physical, protecting top players, etc.”

That feels exaggerated, but it’s something to watch. And if it is true, you’ll see a shift in the team’s rushing total. Auburn was No. 1 in the country in 2013, averaging 20 more rushing yards a game than any FBS team.

I feel the one thing CGM has been saying the most is that Auburn will have more balance in 2014. Could this also be a reason for "a shift in the team's rushing total"?

Well exactly. People can say whatever they want, especially the "anonymous" ones, but it doesn't have the slightest effect on the team or the game. The only thing it effects are the fans who buy this kind of bs. Once the season starts and the team performs the same talking heads will change their tune. They will be the first to follow the herd as if nothing was said.

Doesn't sound like Gus, or Russell to me.

Yeah I am with you. No way Gus allows this team to go soft. Also if the practices have been so soft why would some players be nicked up?

I didn't see "soft" in the practice I was fortunate enough to attend. I saw hustle, intensity, drive and determination. I saw players get at each other, I saw coaches coming unglued over the smallest of missed details. At the end of the practice I saw the Offense line back up and run plays "fast" as a means of extra conditioning.

At the end Malzahn was yelling, "we are going to run them out of the stinking stadium"!

I didn't see "soft" in the practice I was fortunate enough to attend. I saw hustle, intensity, drive and determination. I saw players get at each other, I saw coaches coming unglued over the smallest of missed details. At the end of the practice I saw the Offense line back up and run plays "fast" as a means of extra conditioning.

At the end Malzahn was yelling, "we are going to run them out of the stinking stadium"!

That last part was pretty cool!! Do you mind if I use that for my signature?

Archived