It's here! Now what? USC vs TAMU - AU's best interests?

freemanjiro

War Eagle everyone!

SEC football is finally here! TAMU vs. USC jr. Who are you pulling for and why? Does it matter this early in the season?

I hate watching games when I don't care who wins.I have been trying to figure out whether I should be cheering on Western Division foeTAMU or Eastern Division favorite USC. A win by which team benefits AU the most?

Who are you rooting for? Why? Impact on AU?

Wish I could be home this year!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta pull for every SEC West team to lose when they are playing someone from the East. It only helps AU.

That being said I hope USC wins 14-10 in an ugly game that exposes both teams.

I also don't think that'll happen. I didn't realize USC returned all FIVE OL starters from last year -- what!

Guest jojo1515

If we needed strength of schedule help, aTm would be the choice as they play a lot of the teams we play, therefore upping our strength of schedule by being a better team that teams we have played also played...if that makes sense

Since we have one of the toughest schedules in the country and that is already widely accepted, USCe is the logical choice as we need all SEC West teams to have atleast 2 losses so that we can slip up a game and still play in Atlanta.

We play both, so I guess I hope whomever wins does it convincingly. Helps with our SOS.

I kinda root for the head ball coach when he's not playing Auburn of course. Never liked him when he was at Florida, guess he was a real threat there.

USC 28

TAM 14

SC over TAMU, it's not a matter of who we want to win so much as TAMU can't stop SC without a defense, and very possibly not much offense. No JM to run around wildly in the back field. And no Evans to catch JM's wild passes this year. Besides all west team losses that can be tacked on them the less we have to worry about the what ifs of a slip on our part.

I don't think it will matter who we pull for, SC is probably going to whack them pretty bad. Without Johnny Football and that big Evans kid that we couldn't do anything with last year I don't expect much from A&M. Their defense has been very suspect.

Carolina because it will increase our SOS. Texas A&M is going to end up on the border of the Top 25. They will not compete in the top half of the division. USC on the other hand will be in the top 3 for sure, very likely #1 or 2. That looks more impressive for Auburn than a border-line Top 25 team (who I feel will end up at 7-5 or 8-4 at best this year).

When referring to SOS, it refers to immediate competition, not your competition's competition like it may with the computers. But either way, direct opponents mean more and for direct opponents, the more high quality you play outweighs other factors. For example, the SEC West is considered strong because 3 or so teams will end up with 6 or so wins. The ACC Coastal or other divisions... they still have the same # of Ws and Ls as the SEC West does (same number of games played between the 7 teams)... these other divisions have a multitude of 5-3 and 4-4 teams at the top. Does that mean it is more competitive? Perhaps, but last year's 7-1 AU, 7-1 Bama, and 5-3 LSU looked a lot stronger than 6-2 Duke followed by three 5-3 teams.

Where I am going with this is... if USC goes 11-1 and Texas A&M goes 8-4, that will look a lot better than if it is 10-2 and 9-3 because you want more high quality wins. People will remember the USC game a lot more than sort of think of USC and Texas A&M as 'good' wins. One great win is more memorable than two decent or good win all other things held constant.

I'm not particularly sold on A&M having a weak offense this year. Sumlin has put up gigantic numbers everywhere he has been. He isn't so different from Gus in that his offense is going to pretty much be successful anywhere, IMO.

I think post-Saban, Gus vs Sumlin is going to be the premier SEC West coaching battle. Especially the way A&M has been recruiting. 2 top 10 classes in a row I believe.

We play both, so I guess I hope whomever wins does it convincingly. Helps with our SOS.

I kinda root for the head ball coach when he's not playing Auburn of course. Never liked him when he was at Florida, guess he was a real threat there.

USC 28

TAM 14

I have a feeling the Gamecocks will be a real threat THIS year.

TAMU doesn't have chance to be a top team. We need USC to win so that the AU/USC is the best cross divisional game in the SEC

Since we play both teams this season, I actually think it benefits us slightly if Carolina wins. We want to beat the most highly ranked teams, period. But we also need to win the SEC West to get to Atlanta. aTm loss helps us win the West; beating higher ranked Carolina team helps us with SOS.

I'm not particularly sold on A&M having a weak offense this year. Sumlin has put up gigantic numbers everywhere he has been. He isn't so different from Gus in that his offense is going to pretty much be successful anywhere, IMO.

I think post-Saban, Gus vs Sumlin is going to be the premier SEC West coaching battle. Especially the way A&M has been recruiting. 2 top 10 classes in a row I believe.

FOUR of those years was at HOUSTON. He's going to have to it more at Texas A&M before I'll buy into "his offense will be successful pretty much anywhere". He's also going to have to find a defense that gives up less than 28 points a game (his defenses average points allowed since he's been a head coach and it was 32 points per game last year).

FOUR of those years was at HOUSTON. He's going to have to it more at Texas A&M before I'll buy into "his offense will be successful pretty much anywhere". He's also going to have to find a defense that gives up less than 28 points a game (his defenses average points allowed since he's been a head coach and it was 32 points per game last year).

He'll have to field an offense that can carry the defense ~ sounds awfully familiar. I do believe Sumlin is a good coach, he's got the financial backing to build whatever he wants at aTm and he's proven he can bring in talent. The SECWest is a boiler room, it ain't easy to win consistantly in this division.

This an easy one. It is to our direct benefit if the SEC West team loses to the SEC East team. In this case that is also the likely outcome. South Carolina should beat TAMU.

I am, because I am married to a Clemson fan (yet a Carolina alum), being forced to pull for aTm. That being said, I have great respect for them as a program - the traditions and attitude they bring remind me a lot of Auburn. Glad to have them in the SEC.

Pulling for USCe...I live in the Carolinas and most of my friends are Gamecocks....and besides, one of them takes me to the USCe vs AU games in Columbia so I have to stay on his good side.

This an easy one. It is to our direct benefit if the SEC West team loses to the SEC East team. In this case that is also the likely outcome. South Carolina beats TAMU.

Yep. Makes it even easier that we'll also play USC.

JMO but no chance that TAMU will be ranked in the top 25 after the SEC West finishes with them.

JMO but no chance that TAMU will be ranked in the top 25 after the SEC West finishes with them.

Tend to agree with this. For that reason, among others, better for us if Carolina wins.

Archived