Two players take leave of absence

WarTiger

With this turn of events we have room for one more signee, right?

2 for next year

I think one of these makes room for T. Reed this season, in January. Whether there is another guy ready to step in right now is unknown, but since two were processed, there's a chance one more is lurking for this year.

That old saying "you can't tell the players without a score card" will certainly hold true this year. The roster this season will look nothing like the group that finished the 2013-14 season.

It will be interesting to see how all the new-comers merge with those left from last season....and with each other.

2 for next year

I think one of these makes room for T. Reed this season, in January. Whether there is another guy ready to step in right now is unknown, but since two were processed, there's a chance one more is lurking for this year.

I could be wrong, but I believe they have 4 scholarships for the 2015 year. They had 13 players on scholarship at the beginning of last week. They got 3 recruits to commit that count for 2015. Then they got 1 recruit that counts for 2014. That put them at 14 scholarship players for next year. Then, 2 scholarship players left which puts them at 11 scholarship players for the upcoming season. With Reed taking one of the newly opened scholarships this gives them 12 players. They are going into this season with 12 of the 13 scholarship players on the roster. This means they can either take one more player for this year or 2 players for next year.

2 for next year

I could be wrong, but I believe they have 4 scholarships for the 2015 year. They had 13 players on scholarship at the beginning of last week. They got 3 recruits to commit that count for 2015. Then they got 1 recruit that counts for 2014. That put them at 14 scholarship players for next year. Then, 2 scholarship players left which puts them at 11 scholarship players for the upcoming season. With Reed taking one of the newly opened scholarships this gives them 12 players. They are going into this season with 12 of the 13 scholarship players on the roster. This means they can either take one more player for this year or 2 players for next year.

First, let's simplify and forget 2015-16 because for this discussion 2015-16 does not matter.

Now, a few days ago we had the max of 13, let two go and added one (Reed). That means as of today, including Reed, we have 12 on scholarship, meaning we can add one more guy that can play in the '14-'15 season. There was no reason to let two guys go and cut down on depth unless there is someone out there ready to step in, probably in January like Reed will. One of those guys could have stayed and been let go after the season is over if there weren't a prospect at hand.

By the time 15-16 gets here there will be more attrition, graduations and commits. There's no way to predict those numbers at this point in time.

Unless there are some things not being said...IMO it's kinda "cold" cutting two guys loose (off of scholarship) after school has started and they are on campus....so, no scholly money for either one of them this semester ? Is that right? . If that's the case, I don't like the sound of that.

I believe Canada, Harrell, Ross-Miller and Mason are all seniors, so those spots will free up. With Thompson and Delph moving on it would seem at this moment that we can sign FIVE for next season - four if he brings in somebody else as he did with Reed.

13 scholarship players

minus

4 seniors (Canada, Harrell, Ross-Miller, Mason)

minus

2 leaves of absence (Thompson, Delph)

plus

1 transfer for 2014-15 (T Reed)

equal 5 open spots to fill for 2015-16

13 - 4 - 2 + 1 = 8 and 13 - 8 = 5

Unless there are some things not being said...IMO it's kinda "cold" cutting two guys loose (off of scholarship) after school has started and they are on campus....so, no scholly money for either one of them this semester ? Is that right? . If that's the case, I don't like the sound of that.

If I had to guess, I'd say something was worked out to keep them financially sound. Once they are no longer playing or on athletic scholarship there are any number of benefits available to them that athletes cannot have.

Had a conversation with some people at Cheeburger yesterday, every one of them said they have no problem with processing guys. Like Mikey said, when you're in a big time basketball school processing is no biggie.

Had a conversation with some people at Cheeburger yesterday, every one of them said they have no problem with processing guys. Like Mikey said, when you're in a big time basketball school processing is no biggie.

We all know processing goes on everywhere. But when a Coach says you're my guy and school starts back then the coach says clean out your locker I just found a stud, I'm not so cool with that. Maybe I'm just too old school. CBP is a great recruiter. No question about that. But part of the reason we signed the stud may be his other finalist coaches were not willing to be that cold at this point. Just saying.......

If I had to guess, I'd say something was worked out to keep them financially sound. Once they are no longer playing or on athletic scholarship there are any number of benefits available to them that athletes cannot have.

Thompson was a walk-on so came to AU on his on (or his family's) dime...but had been given a scholly and I expect he and his family were depending on that. The other kid....I don't know. I'm hoping you are right about this.

I understand big time sports but I also understand doing the "right thing" and I look for AU to do the right thing with our athletes.

We all know processing goes on everywhere. But when a Coach says you're my guy and school starts back then the coach says clean out your locker I just found a stud, I'm not so cool with that. Maybe I'm just too old school. CBP is a great recruiter. No question about that. But part of the reason we signed the stud may be his other finalist coaches were not willing to be that cold at this point. Just saying.......

I agree that it seems a little dirty to pull the rug out from guys after school has started but I don't know how this went down...either the players or the coaching staff but hope that these guys can continue their education at very little cost or no cost and have the opportunity to play somewhere else...if they want to continue to play...

Pearl is smart and tough. People wanted a smart, tough, winning coach. So far he's demonstrated the smart and tough parts. You've got to take the bitter with the sweet.

I didn't want AU to hire Pearl but now he's the AU basketball coach and I'm for him 100% unless and until he embarrasses my university. If he's meaner and nastier than some like, you asked for it and now you've got it.

For the record, IIRC AU64 didn't want us to hire Pearl either, so he's free to complain to his heart's content.

Pearl is smart and tough. People wanted a smart, tough, winning coach. So far he's demonstrated the smart and tough parts. You've got to take the bitter with the sweet.

I didn't want AU to hire Pearl but now he's the AU basketball coach and I'm for him 100% unless and until he embarrasses my university. If he's meaner and nastier than some like, you asked for it and now you've got it.

For the record, IIRC AU64 didn't want us to hire Pearl either, so he's free to complain to his heart's content.

Not my intent to get a rep as a "complainer".....we have him and I hope he does well and we get a winning program underway.....but whether it be BP or the his predecessor, I would like to see the players treated fairly.

I don't even have major qualms about the "processing" if it had been done back in May when the players could have had time to respond. I'm guessing that even with the "leave of absence" they would have to sit out a season if they moved to a Div I school? ....so no transfer and no scholly? ...just sayin'

Whether you wanted Pearl or not, you're free to complain. I was probably the loudest voice begging for Pearl. I love the guy, and I have not a problem with everything that's been done so far. Now if Pearl does anything to harm my beloved AU, I will complain to my heart's content. Just my two cents.

Calling this process a "Leave of Absence" is a little strange to me. Usually a leave of absence is when a player requests some time away to handle a personal issue like Granger or someone did last year I believe. Anyway the terminology must have been a brainstorm from someone in the AD so people would think these kids are still on scolarship. But having this occur to two players simultaneously makes this less credible. Sure hope nothing happens to nix the Reed deal. We have a lot of eggs in one basket. 3 of our 4 biggest guys processed.

Archived