CEJ Did anyone hear this???

JamesG

They definitely presented some very, very different formations and blocking schemes from last year. They had an unbalanced two-TE set that I never saw last season. They also utilized trap-blocking schemes for the majority of the first half. I rewatched last year's game two days before this one. I saw that play exactly zero times. It was definitely a well-executed and well-scouted wrinkle that caught us by surprise. When we adjusted at the start of the second half, they stopped running that A-gap counter/draw with the double trap blocks altogether. Never saw it again. Clearly, they knew it was a gimmick play that would work until we started looking for it.

As for the coverage busts, one was on Whitehead. Palmer broke it down quite nicely actually. Whitehead was in man and got caught with his eyes in the backfield, which allowed the TE to press into him and gave the QB an easy throw to the back of the endzone.

The first bust (the throw to Henry) was tougher to read. Mincy looked like he was playing cover-3 with middle third responsibility. He's lined up over Henry, covers him through the shallow zone then drops quickly into the middle of the field (leaving Henry alone). Whitehead and Ford (the Safeties on the field) either both missed the coverage (possible) or Mincy released his man. If Whitehead and Ford missed the coverage, it's tough to say who had responsibility for the left-third. Whitehead covered Derby into the shallow zone on that side then turned to chase after the ball was thrown. Ford covered no one off the line and also chased after the throw. Either guy could've blown the coverage. My guess, Mincy's movement looks out of place with the rest of the defense. He probably blew that play.

Nice post.

It definitely looked like Mincy expected someone to help him on the throw to Henry. That doesn't mean he was right, though.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you have key injuries going into fall practice you tend to gear back a little to protect your players. 300 lb guys beating on each other every day is a formula for losing key players. You've got to keep them in a good strength program and get them mentally ready to play beyond their ability. That's what we saw in the second half today. Great opening victory for the Tigers.

Getting your #1s and #2s hurt in practice has never won one damn game.

Just trust the ole ball coach.

I honestly believe that we have two D Alignments.

The alignment CEJ WANTS to run. We start with that one most games.

The alignment CEJ HAS TO run. We end with that one most games.

IOW we are about one more recruiting class from seeing CEJ run a D like he optimally wants to.

When you have key injuries going into fall practice you tend to gear back a little to protect your players. 300 lb guys beating on each other every day is a formula for losing key players. You've got to keep them in a good strength program and get them mentally ready to play beyond their ability. That's what we saw in the second half today. Great opening victory for the Tigers.

Getting your #1s and #2s hurt in practice has never won one damn game.

Just trust the ole ball coach.

I honestly believe that we have two D Alignments.

The alignment CEJ WANTS to run. We start with that one most games.

The alignment CEJ HAS TO run. We end with that one most games.

IOW we are about one more recruiting class from seeing CEJ run a D like he optimally wants to.

That sounds about right. And the fact CEJ is able to make such effective adjustments is what makes him so valuable.

People doubting if he is our guy based on one stinkin' half are nuts.

So basically CEJ didn't even say any of this

I guess not. I've asked twice where this supposed "soft" quote came from and nobody seems able to answer.

It may be that his remark was more about the effort of the d linemen than the physical nature of the camp as a whole. He might have been saying some thing along the lines of the d hasn't played up to their abilities during fall and have not been physical enough. It didn't sound to me like he was giving a review of the practice methods of the entire fall camp.

I would dare to say that Arky's OLine are one of the biggest we'll face all year, that group was impressive in the first half and intimidating to go up against. We had penetration in the 1st half but their RB's made good corrections and adjustments away from pressure. I was as disappointed as everyone else but we really stepped up the 2nd half. Not to mention, we moved 2 tackles to the DE positions. I'm sure they felt a little out of place. All in all, we only gave up 2 rushing yards in the 2nd half and forced them to throw so I think the D stepped up and made those adjustments that win games...and we got tougher!

Commentators said Arkies O line isn't just the biggest in the SEC, but the biggest in the country. So, I don't think we will face another team with an O line that size. The HT adjustment helped me breath better for sure.

I would dare to say that Arky's OLine are one of the biggest we'll face all year, that group was impressive in the first half and intimidating to go up against. We had penetration in the 1st half but their RB's made good corrections and adjustments away from pressure. I was as disappointed as everyone else but we really stepped up the 2nd half. Not to mention, we moved 2 tackles to the DE positions. I'm sure they felt a little out of place. All in all, we only gave up 2 rushing yards in the 2nd half and forced them to throw so I think the D stepped up and made those adjustments that win games...and we got tougher!

Commentators said Arkies O line isn't just the biggest in the SEC, but the biggest in the country. So, I don't think we will face another team with an O line that size. The HT adjustment helped me breath better for sure.

thats correct. ...their o line is also bigger than 28 of the nfls

I don't think I've read it on here, and maybe it's just me, but while I do think Arky's O line was physical in the first half, it looked like there were just blown plays by the DL and LBs. Sometimes it looked like they had good push/penetration but ran themselves way the hell behind the play. I'm glad that got corrected at HT though. I was pretty upset after the second quarter missed FG.

I don't think I've read it on here, and maybe it's just me, but while I do think Arky's O line was physical in the first half, it looked like there were just blown plays by the DL and LBs. Sometimes it looked like they had good push/penetration but ran themselves way the hell behind the play. I'm glad that got corrected at HT though. I was pretty upset after the second quarter missed FG.

Yeah, I read it somewhere (either here or the postgame thread) that we were running ourselves out of the play and making it easy for them to block the d-line in the first half. This put the LBs in very difficult positions, since the d-line wasn't making any plays and their o-line could get to the second level pretty easily. Their blocking scheme was something they didn't employ at all last season, and we adjusted at halftime.'

I do wish we'd be able to make adjustments like that during the first half, rather than always waiting until halftime. It always seemed last year like we did the same thing and adjusted at half.

One thing I did like that I haven't seen mentioned is the sack by Cassanova when he lined up at rush end. That seemed to work pretty well.

Historically, we very often over pursue when we play Arky. Do not ask me why.

But the most damaging play Arky runs on us, year after year, is the counter with a trap block scheme.

CTT could never quite figure out how to stop the over pursuit. The now famous "Fred Tally just ran by my window"

started due to frustration with watching our D consistently over run the play against them for years.

Anyone want to look it up but since 1999, I bet we have given up more yards to Arky on the ground than any other team in the SEC and I bet it isn't even close. Arky is the one team in the SEC that CTT didn't have a winning record against.

There were some plays that if you watched, it seemed like Arky's O line let them through like it was screen pass coming up and just went to the 2nd level to block down field. Seemed like that happened every time they ripped off big runs.

The key to me is CEJ made the adjustments. We were playing championship football in the 2nd half. Arkansas will win a few games. I expect them to give Alabama all they can handle. ESPN has us at #3 in the power rankings. FSU #1, Oregon #2...Gumps #4.

The soft fall practice schedule may have served it's purpose by allowing us to enter the season with most of our key players available. This "is fall practice brutal enough" will be a never ending debate, and I suspect that Gus will err on the side of protecting the proven talent. We just need to get used to that. When a player is unproven I'm sure Gus knows how to get them ready for game speed and physicality.

Archived