CEJ Did anyone hear this???

JamesG

Listening to the postgame show and Coach Johnson just flat out admitted we didn't have a physical fall camp. He was asked about the slow start for his D in the first half and this is what he said VERBATIM. "We just had to wake up. We weren't very physical. We didn't have a physical fall camp." I was pretty surprised by that. I know there was discussion in another thread about alleged "soft" practices. Glad they stiffened up in the 2nd half, though.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would explain the first half. I will say, though, that whatever was said in the locker room at halftime, it's like they flipped a switch. The 2nd half defense was, in a word, ravenous...violently so.

You heard it here first folks, Auburn 2014 Defense: "Hangry."

IF and a big IF we were not phsyical during fall camp it could be due to being thin as t star quality players at a few positions....regardless I dont think its true

I don't know, but if not having a physical fall camp still translates into holding an SEC opponent to only 52 yards of offense in a half, then I'll take it!!! The lack of a physical fall might have been b/c of injuries and not risking getting more hurt.

It would explain the first half. I will say, though, that whatever was said in the locker room at halftime, it's like they flipped a switch. The 2nd half defense was, in a word, ravenous...violently so.

That was actually the Auburn High School defense in the first half. They didn't flip a switch, they switched jerseys with the AU players. :big:

That was actually the Auburn High School defense in the first half. They didn't flip a switch, they switched jerseys with the AU players. :big:

Bawhahaha! :big:

When you have key injuries going into fall practice you tend to gear back a little to protect your players. 300 lb guys beating on each other every day is a formula for losing key players. You've got to keep them in a good strength program and get them mentally ready to play beyond their ability. That's what we saw in the second half today. Great opening victory for the Tigers.

Not having a physical fall camp is not surprising. This team wasn't trying to get their edge back like last year, they were just trying to fine tune fundamentals and assignments. Look like it took about a half for the defense to get used to game speed again.

In spite of the "hot knife through butter" comment from Musberger, I think it was as much a technique issue than just being handled physically. I did look that way though.

If a "not physical" fall camp was causing the problem, that problem couldn't have been corrected by a half-time talk. I don't know why we were so much better the second half but how physical we were or weren't in fall camp had no bearing on it.

Part of it was playing stupid in the first half. Against that trap/counter, the DTs were just running themselves out of the play. Once they started holding the gap, that play disappeared. We were playing really I disciplined football in the first half, not just the two busted coverage TDs (which were awful). We were sloppy in every level. Until we weren't.

This talk do a soft preseason is a bunch of BS. There were several folks on this board that attended several closed practices and they said they saw no one ounce of "soft" practices by this team or the coaches. They saw energy, aggression, and attention to detail.

In spite of the "hot knife through butter" comment from Musberger, I think it was as much a technique issue than just being handled physically. I did look that way though.

There were a lot of runs where they sucked us in and essentially just sealed the D-line off. I agree. It was more technique than being manhandled.

Arky's O-line is going to flatten some teams this year. Hosses.

Part of it was playing stupid in the first half. Against that trap/counter, the DTs were just running themselves out of the play. Once they started holding the gap, that play disappeared. We were playing really I disciplined football in the first half, not just the two busted coverage TDs (which were awful). We were sloppy in every level. Until we weren't.

I did not hear CEJ talk about not very physical practices, but I did hear him say that Arkansas was doing a good job of using our aggression against us and we were over-running the plays. He also talked about they used some blocking schemes different than what they were expecting based on the formations. Looks like AU corrected these things for the second half and we shut them down.

I think we played a championship quality offense pretty much most of the game. The defense was as good as it gets the 2nd half. I am proud of this team, and think we played the best game of any SEC team today. That team in the west central part of the state did not impress that much. I usually do not like to start the season with another SEC team, especially one as big and physical as Arky.

I did a little searching to see who has the largest size OL in the SEC; Arky has the largest OL in the conference. This can wear down a team that is not conditioned to handle this. We should jump a spot or 2 in the rankings. The SEC west is probably more balanced at this point over the east. UGA looked strong against Clemson no doubt. I like this 2014 Auburn team and think we can go a long way this season and make the final 4. We have got to do it 1 play at a time.

+1

The Defense was horrible in the first half, stellar in the second. Kudos to our Defensive Coordinators for being able to make the adjustments.

Our offense is so potent regardless of whether JJ is in or NM. NM gives us a running dimension JJ does not, but JJ is a NFL calibre QB. How wonderful is it to have two great SEC QBs? CAP proved why he was so highly rated out of Jr College. Duke is scarry good!

The future looks very bright. We have one tough tough schedule, but the way we played the second half, shows that this team is definitely on track to win the SEC once again!

WDE!!

The bad D play in the first half was definitely due to the DL running up the field and out if the play. They were trapping us to death and we didn't adjust till the 2nd half. We also had some really bad blown coverages in the secondary because they were running so good. But we regrouped well in the 2nd half and started clogging the line of scrimmage. It hurt our pass rush but arky still can't throw and catch too well when at all covered. I do wonder how the pass rush will go moving forward. Not bad for 1st game of the season IMO.

Practice won't be soft anymore. If it was and km not saying it was. That is all over. Gus even said grant and cap have not really been hit since spring.

I think we played a championship quality offense pretty much most of the game. The defense was as good as it gets the 2nd half. I am proud of this team, and think we played the best game of any SEC team today. That team in the west central part of the state did not impress that much. I usually do not like to start the season with another SEC team, especially one a big and physical as Arky.

I did a little searching to see who has the largest size OL in the SEC; Arky has the largest OL in the conference. This can wear down a team that is not conditioned to handle this. We should jump a spot or 2 in the rankings. The SEC west is probably more balanced at this point over the east. UGA looked strong against Clemson no doubt. I like this 2014 Auburn team and think we can go a long way this season and make the final 4. We have got to do it 1 play at a time.

I think we played better than any SEC team that played Saturday, I'll say that.

I think we played a championship quality offense pretty much most of the game. The defense was as good as it gets the 2nd half. I am proud of this team, and think we played the best game of any SEC team today. That team in the west central part of the state did not impress that much. I usually do not like to start the season with another SEC team, especially one a big and physical as Arky.

And better than any Top 10 team that actually played a real team (Ohio State, FSU, UAT, & UCLA were all very underwhelming).

I did not hear CEJ talk about not very physical practices, but I did hear him say that Arkansas was doing a good job of using our aggression against us and we were over-running the plays. He also talked about they used some blocking schemes different than what they were expecting based on the formations. Looks like AU corrected these things for the second half and we shut them down.

Sounded like many years of perfected Coach Speak to me. No one was thrown anyone under the bus, he didn't point finger one, and the blame placed on a to be corrected coaching decision. Almost as if the real motivating is (and will be) in private and the public side just in noticeable half time adjustments.

I wouldn't say that!!! Did you see what Georgia did to Clemson? What A&M did to South Carolina?

Georgia seems destined this year to win the east!!! A&M looks strong again as well.

Archived