Arkansas Game Report Card

StatTiger

Great adjustments by defense during second half...

Defense allowed 8.5 yards per play on first down during first half and only 2.2 yards during the second half.

Game #1 Statistical Evaluation (Arkansas) 2014

Offensive Report Card

1) Average 6-yards per play on 1st down: 9.79 (pass)

2) Convert at least 40 pct of 3rd downs: 64.2% pct (pass)

3) Average at least 4.5 yards per rush: 6.29 YPC (pass)

4) Score on 1/3 of your offensive possessions: 58.3% (pass)

5) Keep "3 and out" series under 33%: 25.0% (pass)

6) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: 13.3 (pass)

7) Score above 75% in red zone: 100.0% (pass)

8) TD Red Zone above 60%: 100.0% (pass)

9) Average 30-yards per possession: 49.6 YPP (pass)

10) 40% of offensive snaps being part of a scoring drive: 68.6% (pass)

11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: 5 TD’s / 1 turnovers (pass)

12) TD ratio of 1 every 17 plays: 11.7 (pass)

13) 8 impact plays: 14 (passs)

14) at least 2 big plays: 3 (pass)

15) Pass rating above 125.0: 214.6 (pass)

Score: 15 of 15 (100.0%) Pass

Defensive Report Card

1) Average under 6-yards per play on 1st down: 6.55 (fail)

2) Convert below 35-pct of 3rd downs: 20.0% (pass)

3) Average below 4.0 yards per rush: 5.27 YPC (fail)

4) Score below 1/3 of their possessions: 25.0% (pass)

5) Keep "3 and out" series above 33%: 41.7% (pass)

6) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: 5.6 YPA (pass)

7) Score below 75% in red zone: 100.0% (fail)

8) TD Red Zone Pct below 60%: 100.0% (fail)

9) Average under 30-yards per possession: 27.3 YPP (pass)

10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps being part of a scoring drive: 36.7% (pass)

11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: 3 TD’s / 1 turnover (fail)

12) TD ratio of 1 every 30 plays: 20.0 (fail)

13) Less than 8 impact plays allowed: 8 (fail)

14) No more than 2 big play allowed: 0 allowed (pass)

15) Pass rating below 125.0 allowed: 120.3 (pass)

• Score: 8 of 15 (53.3%) Pass

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): 53.3 (pass) 2 of 3 inside the 20

2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): 5.5 (pass)

3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): 15.5 (pass)

4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): 15.0 (pass)

5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): 25.5 (pass)

6) PAT’s (100%): 6 of 6 (pass)

7) FG Pct (75% or above): 50.0% (fail)

Score: 6 of 7 (85.7%) Pass

• Remember the key is to pass 50.0% of the categories.

War Eagle!

Thanks Stat ... good stuff. Once the defense settled down in the second half, things looked good all around.

Jeremy played very well but Nick opened up the running game. I wish Jeremy would have kept the ball at least 1 time for a run because Arkansas was selling out on the inside run during the first half.

Our defensive stats would not have been anywhere close to passing for just the first half. Glad they made adjustments and got it corrected.

Wow 100% on Offense! WAR EAGLE!!! Stats has this ever been done since you've been doing the game cards?

Jeremy looked really good, but Nick just changes everything about a defense. If Coates catches a very catchable ball on the post, Marshall's performance looks as sterling as it was. He's great.

Wow 100% on Offense! WAR EAGLE!!! Stats has this ever been done since you've been doing the game cards?

Offense did it against Missouri last year.

Thanks as always Stat. Love the analysis' that you bring us.

Scary to think what the defensive numbers were for the first half. I hope our guys are able to carry the second half play forward through the rest of the season.

Thanks Stat. Great stuff.

Thanks Stat ... good stuff. Once the defense settled down in the second half, things looked good all around.

Jeremy played very well but Nick opened up the running game. I wish Jeremy would have kept the ball at least 1 time for a run because Arkansas was selling out on the inside run during the first half.

Yes, it was almost as if he was coached not to keep it and run that first half. In those 2 critical 3 and 2's they failed on in the first half, it seems the defense was giving them the outside run and stuffing the middle. And as always, great job with the stats, Stat.

Thanks for the stat summary...

Defense needs to make those adjustments on the fly. Being a first game against SEC opponent, guess we will take it. They should get better from here.

We were thinking if we could combine Nick's quickness / read option with Jeremy's passing accuracy...that would be scary

First half of first game ...nobody knew what Arky was going to do this season.....looked rough for AU but that's why they play two halves I guess. Defense quit over-running the hand-offs and and got tough on the short passes.

Meanwhile, Nick is not the passer that JJ is but he brings a totally different dimension to the game. I keep hearing that JJ is a good runner....and if so, he could have helped our rushing offense in the first half by keeping the ball a few times....just to keep them honest. In the second half, Arky defense concentrated on stopping Nick from running (often two men on him) and CAP carved them up.

Good adjustments at the half on both sides of the ball by AU....which is what good coaches do.

Passing stats were met courtesy of Jeremy in the first half

Rushing stats were courtesy of Nick's impact and the Hogs getting gassed in the second half

There must have been 2 different derfensses. I hope the one in the second half killed the one from the first and left them in the locker room.

I bet those runs were designed RB runs in the first half. Gus may have wanted to test his RB to see if he can run with 8-9 guys in box. It seemed like malzahn's game plan worked to perfection offensively. He probably wanted to keep JJ in the first half and work the RBs early. He had confidence the O would run ARK out the stadium once NM ran the full offense. JJ did a great job getting the WRs going. Especially Duke in his first 1A game. I like JJ starting this first game against the "worst" SEC game from a year ago. He gave the passing game confidence. Gus knows what he will get from JJ when the reigns are his. I don't recall AU ever having a QB with as much quiet composure that JJ has at such a young stage in his career. A lot of the SEC looked vulnerable in their first games. We can definitely do this again. Now if we can just figure out how to beat LSU this year. We owe them a whoopin of mass proportions. War eagle!

One millions dollars or Stat's stats? I'll take Stat's stats.

I appreciate Stat's stats as much as anyone, but if you offer me that choice, I'm taking the million. Nothing personal, Stat. ;)

Our defensive stats would not have been anywhere close to passing for just the first half. Glad they made adjustments and got it corrected.

^ This will be the key to the season. The offense is just as good as last year with nick at qb and duke/crew on the outside. The d just has to be pretty good, which they were yesterday. I hope they are more consistent in the future though. Terrible first half and an unstoppable second wont work on better teams.

Stat, I can't remember some of the items that went into your formula. Can you remind me of the time period you used to define your pass/fail threshold on the categories?

Still surprised our D rating was only 53%. As someone else asked here; the 1st half must have been 0; and the 2H 100%....

I have been thinking about this: I think that was part of Gus's game plan. Work the passing game with JJ told him not to run you could tell he wasn't even trying to run and we know he can. but you are right at least once would have been nice. This IMHO made it harder to adjust to NM when he came in and it was difficult to key on who had the ball if JJ ran this would have allowed them to adjust. I think it was part of the plan. But as I sit on the coach and watch highlights from last night it really doesn't matter what I think

Didn't see AUBWins, but it appears we agree

Stat, I can't remember some of the items that went into your formula. Can you remind me of the time period you used to define your pass/fail threshold on the categories?

Still surprised our D rating was only 53%. As someone else asked here; the 1st half must have been 0; and the 2H 100%....

Most are from 1992 and on.

Archived