Who should tote the rock?

chimesAU

Some folks calling for Roc need to take a chill pill. Roc weighs 193 right now. He did look good at high school level and he will be good in college, but lets give him a little time to fill out and learn the system. We have 2 extremely good and SEC proven backs and a third with a year in the system, we can wait on him. WDE

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care who runs as long as we're productive but it was coach who said Roc will play so that's why everybody is excited to see him.....

CAP is a good back but he lacks lacks the burst/explosion and top end speed to be elite. I hope we see some Roc Thomas worked into the mix in the coming games.

Totally DISAGREE!!

CAP is a BEAST!! We have the best QB tandem in the country, the best backfield in the country, and the best wide receiving core.

What does it take to make some people happy?

The only weakness on this AU team is on the defense. And if they play the remainder of the year like they did in the second half, AU will be the best team in the country!

WDE!!

CAP is a good back but he lacks lacks the burst/explosion and top end speed to be elite. I hope we see some Roc Thomas worked into the mix in the coming games.

Totally DISAGREE!!

CAP is a BEAST!! We have the best QB tandem in the country, the best backfield in the country, and the best wide receiving core.

The only weakness on this AU team is on the defense. And if they play the remainder of the year like they did in the second half, AU will be the best team in the country!

WDE!!

Take the OandB glasses off. CAP definitely lacks the top end speed. He's got vision and moves for days and finishes runs about as well as a 210lb RB can but absolutely does not have the explosion that some others do ( even bigger backs like Gurley and Henry). If we could mold CAP and Grant together , we'd have a truly elite RB on our hands but until then UGA, bammer, and probably Ark look to have more complete weapons in the backfield.

First two possessions CAP was average rest of the game he was awesome. I don't like the way he holds the ball out when he fights for extra yards though and him and Grant seems to run into big hits they don't ball up and sort of deflect the blow

Totally DISAGREE!!

WDE!!

Take the OandB glasses off. CAP definitely lacks the top end speed. He's got vision and moves for days and finishes runs about as well as a 210lb RB can but absolutely does not have the explosion that some others do ( even bigger backs like Gurley and Henry). If we could mold CAP and Grant together , we'd have a truly elite RB on our hands but until then UGA, bammer, and probably Ark look to have more complete weapons in the backfield.

Take the devil's advocate glasses off. CAP was far better than any of Arkansas's RBs, even though they had holes a mile wide to run through for the entire first half Saturday. Yes, Gurley is better- he's also might be better than any college RB since AP and/or Darren McFadden- and Henry probably is, too (being a physical freak isn't the only requirement for the job). How that justifies focusing on CAP's few weaknesses after the monster game he had Saturday, I'm not sure.

And I wouldn't lump speed and explosion together. CAP might not have the former, but he's absolutely got the latter IMO. And I would have said the same about a certain Heisman finalist who played for us last year.

Totally DISAGREE!!

WDE!!

Take the devil's advocate glasses off. CAP was far better than any of Arkansas's RBs, even though they had holes a mile wide to run through for the entire first half Saturday. Yes, Gurley is better- he's also might be better than any college RB since AP and/or Darren McFadden- and Henry probably is, too (being a physical freak isn't the only requirement for the job). How that justifies focusing on CAP's few weaknesses after the monster game he had Saturday, I'm not sure.

And I wouldn't lump speed and explosion together. CAP might not have the former, but he's absolutely got the latter IMO. And I would have said the same about a certain Heisman finalist who played for us last year.

Haha you know me too well... I agree that the lack of top end speed reminds me of a certain RB from last year, but I don't think they're comparable in terms of explosion...yet.

In my humble opinion, James was correct in his assessment and bikerider responded with "CAP is a beast...We've got the best backfield in the country"- Not a whole lot of objectivity there.

I also agree that it isn't fair to compare many backs to Gurley but when we've got guys saying things like ^that^ I think it's worth pointing out how strong some of these other backfields truly are.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Collins. I think he's truly elite but it's hard for him to show out when he's one of the only offensive weapons on that team(The other being his back-up).

You can't have your cake and eat it too. The coaches are going to put the back in that gives us the best chance to WIN. This should be obvious, but there is a lot more to being a good running back than having good speed, our power, or vision, etc. Much of this has to do with how well the running back does without the ball, in pass protection, in route running, in an overall understanding of what the offense is trying to accomplish, and general football IQ.

You can call it a cop-out, but yes, I do trust the coaches. They know more than I will ever know about football, our offense, our players and what they are looking for. We see these kids for x amount of snaps on Saturday, and they see them every day in practice, team meetings, and workouts. And what do you know? Our starting running back ran for 177 yards and 6.8 a carry. I feel confident that CAP will continue to take the majority of snaps, and if he does not, I'm fairly confident that it won't be because he doesn't have "elite speed".

Also, his "slow start" had more to do with Marshall not being in the game than anything else.

Totally DISAGREE!!

WDE!!

Haha you know me too well... I agree that the lack of top end speed reminds me of a certain RB from last year, but I don't think they're comparable in terms of explosion...yet.

In my humble opinion, James was correct in his assessment and bikerider responded with "CAP is a beast...We've got the best backfield in the country"- Not a whole lot of objectivity there.

I also agree that it isn't fair to compare many backs to Gurley but when we've got guys saying things like ^that^ I think it's worth pointing out how strong some of these other backfields truly are.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Collins. I think he's truly elite but it's hard for him to show out when he's one of the only offensive weapons on that team(The other being his back-up).

Very fair about Collins. CAP is surrounded by elite talent, with an absolute wizard calling plays to boot. And I also agree that the "best backfield in the country" tag is better left alone by Auburn fans... until next year :)

I thought CAP looked great, we can definitely win with him. I like his shiftiness. It's nice to have a back with top end speed, but top end speed isn't what you really need your running back for.

Totally DISAGREE!!

WDE!!

Very fair about Collins. CAP is surrounded by elite talent, with an absolute wizard calling plays to boot. And I also agree that the "best backfield in the country" tag is better left alone by Auburn fans... until next year :)/>

I knew there was some reason I liked you...

they all looked very good to me. Not Tre Mason good but good enough.

Tre Mason didn't look Tre Mason good after only 1 game last year either.

He looked that good to me in 2012. I predicted the success(not 1800yds, but a great season). CAP and Cory can do it too. They just didn't look the part that Mason always did,IMHO. Bottom line is our offense is ridiculously good and we have great options in all 11 spots.

We're going to need all 3 of them with the schedule we have coming up. Also, one of those 3rd and 1 plays was not on CAP. JJ misread it and should have kept the ball for an easy 5-10 yard gain.

Based on what I have read, JJ was told not to keep the ball and run.

We're going to need all 3 of them with the schedule we have coming up. Also, one of those 3rd and 1 plays was not on CAP. JJ misread it and should have kept the ball for an easy 5-10 yard gain.

Based on what I have read, JJ was told not to keep the ball and run.

sometimes im not sure the qb has the option that we think. some of these are probably called plays.

I get a kick out of people making comments like they were fact. Gurley's 40 time is listed at 4.5 while CAP was listed as 4.6 last year before he lost weight this year. Do you have any idea what 1/10th of a second looks like in the 40. SMH. By the way I would bet that Grant will set new NFL official next year. WDE

LMAO at CAP slow start was because of Johnson. Some of you really don't know anything about football. And who cares what listed times say you can just look and see Gurley is faster than CAP, but really who cares? Until CAP has a problem getting ran down from behind what does it even matter?

I get a kick out of people making comments like they were fact. Gurley's 40 time is listed at 4.5 while CAP was listed as 4.6 last year before he lost weight this year. Do you have any idea what 1/10th of a second looks like in the 40. SMH. By the way I would bet that Grant will set new NFL official next year. WDE

I really don't want this to devolve into Gurley vs CAP but did you see Gurley consistently outrun Clem's secondary Saturday night? He gets to the second level and hits another gear. Not to mention his kickoff return for a TD. Keep shaking that head and posting 40 times though...

have you clocked them or are you using a calibrated eye. Not knocking Gurley, he is a heck of a back, but remember he is prone to get hurt also, My guess is CAP will put up more yards sharing time with Grant than Gurley will, and I would be willing to bet on that. WDE

Gurley is with out a doubt the best back in the country. There is no comparison out there even close. Back to AU. We have situational backs. Barber may be the most complete. As far as a backfield . AU has top five in the country

Having the most ability and being the best are two different things. Nobody thought TM was going to be the best either but in Gus's offense you have a leg up. Just saying. Duke doesn't have elite speed either, who would you like to trade him for ?WDE

Totally DISAGREE!!

WDE!!

Very fair about Collins. CAP is surrounded by elite talent, with an absolute wizard calling plays to boot. And I also agree that the "best backfield in the country" tag is better left alone by Auburn fans... until next year :)/>

I knew there was some reason I liked you...

:cheers: and WDE!

Gurley is with out a doubt the best back in the country. There is no comparison out there even close. Back to AU. We have situational backs. Barber may be the most complete. As far as a backfield . AU has top five in the country

Co-sign

Archived