Who should tote the rock?

chimesAU

I only got to see the last 10 minutes of the game (after the rain delay) so I'll readily admit I don't have very much to go on. I've looked up the stats but they don't always tell the whole story.

CAP looked about how I thought he would.Fairly shifty in the hole with some decent power.

Grant really surprised me. He looked to have much better vision and balance than last year. Runs extremely hard with true breakaway speed that few RBs possess.

Barber looked good on the 3 runs that he had. Again, nothing surprising. I think he's the most well-rounded back of the 3.

I'd love to hear what those of you who saw the whole game think.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Distribute the carries and keep them all fresh for the time being. CAP and Grant are a terrific change of pace and Barber looks like he can bring the hammer in the 4th quarter. Roc will probably get a chance to show what he can do next week. Should be interesting.

I was impressed with Grant's drive on his 3 yard TD run. CAP seemed to lack that kind of push on the two 3rd and 1 plays. I know it's not all on the RB, but that stood out to me.

To me CAP had no spark until the defense was sucking wind. He looked plain bad early. Grant is stronger, faster, and the same size. and one of my personal favorite players. His talent will rise to the top in the next few games. THEN, CAP would kill teams in the second half after they chase Grant around all day. Vs. Ark, CAP needed the pass to open up the run. nothing like that happened the past few years.

We're going to need all 3 of them with the schedule we have coming up. Also, one of those 3rd and 1 plays was not on CAP. JJ misread it and should have kept the ball for an easy 5-10 yard gain.

I haven't watched the replay yet so I might be eating my words in a few hours but...

CAP has been super-hyped for 2 preseasons now and hasn't quite come out looking like the All SEC back most here expected him to be. Obviously, this is just the first game and he definitely got his yards, but I see an awful lot of comments about him looking a little underwhelming.

CAP looked great! He displayed excellent vision, very shifty in traffic, and good power. He put up 170 something yards and ppl are saying stupid ass things like "he only got yards after the D got tired." SMDH! Everybody is always wanting to see the shiny new toys, and therefore they see what they want to see regarding player's performances. This board has been ridiculous lately.

CAP is a good back but he lacks lacks the burst/explosion and top end speed to be elite. I hope we see some Roc Thomas worked into the mix in the coming games.

CAP didn't start off good but he turned it on. I lied the run where Grant scored, he moved that like about 4 yards...I think he did a little better than CAP on the goal line. I think everybody gets better with reps and it should stay about the same

I thought CAP did well; had some good runs early! Remember, also the TD run in the 2nd quarter that was called back, CAP displayed some shifty moves and excellent vision through the line and the penalty was an accident on Miller behind the actual run. Cap also had some breakaway runs early of 10 to 15 yards. Although Arkansas had a good D-line push until the third quarter, I though for the most part CAP looked like a really really good back. Corey Grant is stronger than a lot of people give him credit for. There were a few times when he ran over a defender last night, as well as a couple times he drove the pile. That, also, was another thing about CAP that impressed me, he drove the pile very well for an extra 3-5 yards many times

Don't understand the criticism of CAP....did all he was asked to do....175 yards.....and those first half stuffs were on JJ and the OL....he got hit before he even had the ball. JJ needs to learn to execute the read option....never kept the ball.

All in all, I'm good with the way the RBs got used...and I really like having Grant for the speed man and would hate to give that up just to see him run inside...basically doing what CAP is doing and probably not any better IMO. And I liked the couple of passes to Grant and CAP...don't think we saw any of that last season.

Wow...did any of you actually watch the game? 26 carries for 177 yards against an SEC defense and we need to replace our starting RB. Are y'all really Auburn fans or just clueless about football?

Actually, CAP reminds me a lot of William Andrews who was much quicker and more elusive than he appeared to be. CAP runs with his eyes up and his body positioned to move either direction as he reads the blocks. He definitely has the skills to play at the

next level. You doubters might want try sitting in the end zone so that you can see how plays develop. In that way you might

learn to appreciate CAP's skills.

Don't understand the criticism of CAP....did all he was asked to do....175 yards.....and those first half stuffs were on JJ and the OL....he got hit before he even had the ball. JJ needs to learn to execute the read option....never kept the ball.

All in all, I'm good with the way the RBs got used...and I really like having Grant for the speed man and would hate to give that up just to see him run inside...basically doing what CAP is doing and probably not any better IMO. And I liked the couple of passes to Grant and CAP...don't think we saw any of that last season.

Every hand off isn't a read option. The short stops DEFINITELY wasn't on JJ. You should probably watch the game again

Guest jojo1515

26 carries for 177 and a 6.8 ypc average.....if you can figure out which back had that good of a game...I think you have your answer. Having an average like that as a change of pace back is one thing; having a 6.8 ypc average on 26 carries against an SEC defense would have you as the starter on 99 percent of all college teams. I think I'll take that guy as the every down back until someone else proves they are better.

The only negatives I saw were the one fumble and the two failed 3rd and short carries. Yeah, you would like to eliminate those, but there are some here who seem to thrive on picking apart the negatives. Striving for perfection is one thing, but some of you show an unnatural tendency to look for the cloud in every silver lining. Remember the response to the video of Duke's one-handed catch in practice?

The only debate on this issue is handled by the coaching staff and it appears that their decision has been made.

That could be said about a number of issues discussed on a fan discussion forum. Btw, I'm not sure they've determined what the carry allocation will look like as the season goes on.

Archived