Ending Injury flopping

Newbomb

Ok after seeing what I thought was a flop by an Arky player I have an idea for limiting this tactic. Simply if one player is injured only that player can be substituted for. If this gives way to multiple "flops" then those players must miss say two or more plays before reentering.

Ok after seeing what I thought was a flop by an Arky player I have an idea for limiting this tactic. Simply if one player is injured only that player can be substituted for. If this gives way to multiple "flops" then those players must miss say two or more plays before reentering.

I said this last night, no subs during an injury other than the person that is injured. However it does stop the pace and allows the D to get a breather, I thought about this when it was announced that BB subbed multiple players.

I think if a player is injured, they need to stay out for a series. That + your solution should either get rid of the problem, or minimize it.

This is just a ridiculous mindset IMO. You are assuming players are faking injuries and that's just not even remotely accurate. Sure, it MAY happen occasionally, but its not a widespread problem that we need to add yet another rule to eliminate it. Unless you are on the field and privy to those discussions with the player, there's zero way anybody here or in the stands can know whether a player is faking an injury or legitimately hurt.

It's equally stupid for the fans in the stands to be booing a player that goes down when nobody has any idea what the nature of the injury is or the severity of it.

This is just a ridiculous mindset IMO. You are assuming players are faking injuries and that's just not even remotely accurate. Sure, it MAY happen occasionally, but its not a widespread problem that we need to add yet another rule to eliminate it. Unless you are on the field and privy to those discussions with the player, there's zero way anybody here or in the stands can know whether a player is faking an injury or legitimately hurt.

It's equally stupid for the fans in the stands to be booing a player that goes down when nobody has any idea what the nature of the injury is or the severity of it.

I never said anything about booing. I see nothing wrong with the one for one rule. If you have to stop play for an injury for a player he should have to sit for a couple of plays. This suggestion would end it if it is happening. The defense is gaining an extra advantage from the stoppage of the natural flow of play by the injury if unlimited subs are allowed. A player being tired is not an excuse to stop the natural flow of play and gain unlimited substitutions

I'd be fine with a rule saying that you can't sub for any other players during the break and/or the player must sit out 2 plays when he comes off.

My point is, if they are indeed hurt, then its probably not smart to play for the remainder of that series. If they go down, they stay out. That prevent hurt players from playing, and it prevents fakers from faking. I can almost promise that a 1st string guy wont fake an injury if he knows it will hold him out.

I'm not sure I understand. What if it happens during a third down stop, would they all have to stay on the field?

WDE!

My question is, who makes the call if a player is truly injured or not? Does that liability fall on the shoulders of the refs or coaches oe the SEC? We spectators may think a player is faking, but it's not our call to make.

My question is, who makes the call if a player is truly injured or not? Does that liability fall on the shoulders of the refs or coaches oe the SEC? We spectators may think a player is faking, but it's not our call to make.

Simply if there is an injury that stops the normal flow of play only the injured player will be allowed to be subbed. No unlimited subs on an injury that stops the offensive momentum. I believe that this would end flops or those perceived as flops. Next would be making players sit after "injury" that stops momentum at least 2-4 plays or the rest of the series.

I didn't like the booing but I disagree that with Auburn it only happen now and then. Last year I think it happened a lot when the other team got tired so they just dropped. I like the idea of only subbing the injured player. Not every injury is a flop but I'll bet it happens 3 to 4 times a game against us.

I didn't like the booing but I disagree that with Auburn it only happen now and then. Last year I think it happened a lot when the other team got tired so they just dropped. I like the idea of only subbing the injured player. Not every injury is a flop but I'll bet it happens 3 to 4 times a game against us.

Someone brought up a good point earlier of what if the injury happened on a third down stop and the special teams unit had to come out? Would you only maintain the rule for 1st and 2nd down?

Someone brought up a good point earlier of what if the injury happened on a third down stop and the special teams unit had to come out? Would you only maintain the rule for 1st and 2nd down?

Or what if the injury is on second leaving a third and long and you want bring apass defense? We did that several times against Arkansas several times. The ones that I hate is the guy who lays there until they blow whistle for time out and then hops up and goes to sideline unaided and without any check from staff - an obvious flop. Arky did it at least twice.

Good idea.

Something I thought was an attempt to slow down an up tempo offense was done by the refs in the TAMU/SC game Thursday night. The refs were waiting a very long time before putting the ball in play when A&M had the ball. They were even waiting for SC to get lined up on D before allowing play to continue. Since when is it the responsibility of the refs to allow a D time to get in position?

Like ive said before the only reasonable thing that can be is if a player offense or defense is injured then that person must sit out the remainder of that series ( until a full possession change)

I agree with most of above but would say this:

In the interest of player safety, if a player is injured in any capacity he should sit out until a change of possession to give time for the staff and trainers to adequately assess his health.

No other rules need to be applied.

For the question about after a third down stop, remember the defense can sub anytime the offense does, so if the bring in the punting unit then the defense can sub. I am sure that if it becomes to much, rules will be implemented and everyone knows that. I don't think it's reached that point yet. Making them use this just reinforces why Gus's system works. Also as you saw with the rain delay, a short (or long break) won't help you if you are not in condition to start with. Advantage Auburn. WDE

Archived