Jeremy Johnson

RunInRed

It is pretty brilliant of Gus to make teams prepare for two different offenses. Seriously cuts opposing teams' prep time. Gus IS THE mad scientist!

My thoughts exactly. Make them prepare for two. I expect Gus to primarily use JJ in mop up duty the vast majority of the year, then right around the UGA or bammer game give him some real snaps.

That's either absolutely brilliant or the stupidest thing I've ever said...

Making us prepare for two different ways of approaching you. I see what you did there.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought JJ looked very good, but something did bother me. Why, twice, on third and short late in the first half, did Auburn come up short? And why did our line play do a complete flip at half time? It didn't like they were running different schemes, just that they were doing it better.

I would not favor a 2 QB system. For one ting it announces our intentions to the D. For another, no QB has a chance to settle in with the team. I'd much prefer to see Nick Marshall become as good a passer as Johnson, if that's possible.

I thought JJ looked very good, but something did bother me. Why, twice, on third and short late in the first half, did Auburn come up short? And why did our line play do a complete flip at half time? It didn't like they were running different schemes, just that they were doing it better.

I would not favor a 2 QB system. For one ting it announces our intentions to the D. For another, no QB has a chance to settle in with the team. I'd much prefer to see Nick Marshall become as good a passer as Johnson, if that's possible.

once on 3rd and short, CJ missed a block that would have converted easily. i cant remember the other one. I am not sure Nick is not as good of a passer as JJ. the game situation just evolved to a need to run the ball in the 2nd half. I think Nick will be sharp throwing too.

Man I hope there are some SEC ADs reading this board because there are a lot of extremely qualified head coaches on here. NOT. It is one thing to have an opinion but to state it as fact is a joke. This team has no problem behind either QB. To say playing both would be bad for them is a laugh. Don't believe me go ask them. Also saying the running game suffered because JJ was in is dumb. Most of the plays called in the first half were pass plays called by the coaches, because that is JJ's strength. Most run plays were set up plays for passes or possession down. I blame the two 3rd and short failures to coaches call, because we played to Arkansas' strength. Most of the plays in the second half were runs. DUH WDE

...which is one reason I'd like to see JJ run a little more. I don't want defenses to be able to sell out on pass defense when JJ is in.

I'm 100% behind Marshall being the starter and playing most of the time. The Gus Machine will run best with a consistent hand on the wheel. But I'd like to see JJ be enough of a factor to give opponents headaches in game planning, and like for him to have as much experience as possible under his belt when he (presumably) runs the show next year.

The way our receivers played Saturday, I'm pretty sure NM will be passing more, with success.

JJ is the better quarterback for sure, but having Marshall in there means the read option can be taken to the house at any point, which benefits from the HUNH. I just hope Marshall can be consistent at throwing this season. It hurts when a wide open receiver has to go back to get the ball every dang time.

Hahaha, wow, some of you guys need to take Football 101. Look, I love JJ, he's going to have a great future here, and he did a phenomenal job in the first half. HOWEVER, Nick Marshall is the best out of the two, and it isn't close. With NM in, you see how much more comfortable and smoother the offense seemed to go. NM also puts so much pressure on the other team because of his athleticism, that it makes the defense hesitate on being so aggressive on the run game. Yes, I know JJ was told not to run, and I know he can run. But it seems there are still quite a few Auburn fans who do not understand what kind of gifted athlete we have in Nick Marshall. I am going to enjoy this last season with him, because he is, outside of Cam, the best QB we have had here in 15-20 years. Again, JJ will be great, but to the people who think there is a controversy or wants one, or believes NM is just good at running the ball, I just shake my head. I wouldn't want anyone but NM to lead this offense this year, as I said the same thing last year as well.

I am going to enjoy this last season with him, because he is, outside of Cam, the best QB we have had here in 15-20 years.

Based on 2013, that's debatable. If he can really improve his throwing this season then I'll probably agree with you.

It is pretty brilliant of Gus to make teams prepare for two different offenses. Seriously cuts opposing teams' prep time. Gus IS THE mad scientist!

My thoughts exactly. Make them prepare for two. I expect Gus to primarily use JJ in mop up duty the vast majority of the year, then right around the UGA or bammer game give him some real snaps.

That's either absolutely brilliant or the stupidest thing I've ever said...

Making us prepare for two different ways of approaching you. I see what you did there.

Well played, sir. :bow:

Hahaha, wow, some of you guys need to take Football 101. Look, I love JJ, he's going to have a great future here, and he did a phenomenal job in the first half. HOWEVER, Nick Marshall is the best out of the two, and it isn't close. With NM in, you see how much more comfortable and smoother the offense seemed to go. NM also puts so much pressure on the other team because of his athleticism, that it makes the defense hesitate on being so aggressive on the run game. Yes, I know JJ was told not to run, and I know he can run. But it seems there are still quite a few Auburn fans who do not understand what kind of gifted athlete we have in Nick Marshall. I am going to enjoy this last season with him, because he is, outside of Cam, the best QB we have had here in 15-20 years. Again, JJ will be great, but to the people who think there is a controversy or wants one, or believes NM is just good at running the ball, I just shake my head. I wouldn't want anyone but NM to lead this offense this year, as I said the same thing last year as well.

Marshall is the more experienced qb so yeah his pace is better and he really knows what he's doing. He runs faster so he's better for the offense we're used to and saw but I'm not going to say he's the better qb. If Johnson had started all year last year and Marshall played the first game of the season I don't think he'd shown he's the better qb. It took Marshall about 4 games under his belt before he really turned it on. But under the circumstances we have right now we're built to win right now so Marshall is the best choice. IMO

I sit here and read through these posts and I just have to laugh. Seems some people just want to stir the pot which has nothing in it to stir. There's no damn controversy. Nick is the #1...JJ #2. Gus has said JJ has some special packages and will play a bigger role this season get over it. Also, I'mnot sure what game yy'all watched but it looked like the team was just as comfortable with JJ as they are with Nick. Nicks addition to the offense changes the appearance of it due to his running ability. For now. I still think Gus is setting something up for later in the season by not running JJ. I dont think it's because he cant. Surely he isn't as quick and elusive as Nick due to his frame, but I remember another kid that played QB for us a few years back with the same frame as JJ and he could run pretty effectively if I remember correctly. WDE.

Forgive me if this was covered.

I figured JJ was instructed not to run in case he was injured. Losing a quality second string QB would hurt, especially if Nick was injured later on.

Yes, I know JJ was told not to run, and I know he can run.

I don't recall a public admission from anyone on the staff that JJ was instructed NOT to run. Did I miss something?

Doesn't the read option become pretty much useless if the QB is not a threat to run? Seems so to me............

I think Nick will do fine in the passing game this season. He will prove this throughout this season. This is Nick's team, and he will do whatever he has to do in order to win. JJ is no doubt the best backup QB in the nation. CAP is the real deal, and we will see zero drop off in the running game. CAP reminds me a lot of Todd Gurley. We are extremely rich in talent in our stable of RBs.

I figured JJ was instructed not to run in case he was injured. Losing a quality second string QB would hurt, especially if Nick was injured later on.

I don't recall a public admission from anyone on the staff that JJ was instructed NOT to run. Did I miss something?

Doesn't the read option become pretty much useless if the QB is not a threat to run? Seems so to me............

Coach said and it was posted in another thread that he could run well but they were going with the pass since it was working

I don't know if you missed anything. I just figured that would be the most logical reason for him not to run. I suppose if the game absolutely hinged on it, he would've run. However, it appeared the pass was working.

Just an aside; I saw Jeremy Johnson a few times in high school. He CAN run. He is powerful and fast.

HS to SEC is a big jump. Lots of guys can run in HS.

This does not make any sense

Just an aside; I saw Jeremy Johnson a few times in high school. He CAN run. He is powerful and fast.

HS to SEC is a big jump. Lots of guys can run in HS.

This does not make any sense

It makes perfect sense. Not saying he won't be an effective runner, but just because he was in HS is no guarantee.

I think Nick will do fine in the passing game this season. He will prove this throughout this season. This is Nick's team, and he will do whatever he has to do in order to win. JJ is no doubt the best backup QB in the nation. CAP is the real deal, and we will see zero drop off in the running game. CAP reminds me a lot of Todd Gurley. We are extremely rich in talent in our stable of RBs.

;)

The guy played 6A ball was the player of the year in basketball as well and Gus keeps repeating himself that the guy can run......somebody says that when they saw him he could run yet a statement saying he's in the SEC now makes perfect sense to you.....that's hilarious. He likes to state pointless stuff to make pretend he's some type of guru and I don't know what you call yourself doing

Jeremy Johnson was putting up numbers in the 1st half that were comparable to Kenny Hill, the SEC Co-Offensive Player of the week. I can't wait to see what he can do next year in a full season. With his arm, Jovon Robinson & Roc Thomas in the backfield... It's going to be ridiculous!

I only wish that we could merge JJ's arm into NM's running ability. I think JJ is a very good athlete and will surprise people running the read option next year. But it will be his arm that opens up the field and takes us to another level.

The guy played 6A ball was the player of the year in basketball as well and Gus keeps repeating himself that the guy can run......somebody says that when they sa7w him he could run yet a statement saying he's in the SEC now makes perfect sense to you.....that's hilarious. He likes to state pointless stuff to make pretend he's some type of guru and I don't know what you call yourself doing

Has he run for big yards in the SEC yet? No. Has he had opportunities? Yes. Will he? Very possibly, but no guarantee. He is one-two steps slower than NM. He looks more like a Jason Campbell with a slightly better arm and maybe a little quicker at this point. My prediction is he will be more of an opportunistic runner than a creative runner like NM.

Get over yourself, seriously. Your point is that he ran in 6A ball and Gus has said he can run so he will? So, Gus is going to say he can't run? Sure, he can run. The question is for how much? Not as much as in HS, I'm guessing.

Archived