Week 2 - 9/01 Notes (Coordinators Post-Practice + Malzahn at Tiger Talk)

RunInRed

Looking back on Week 1 and looking forward ... notes from around the interwebs ...

Auburn's "Sunday" practice (on a Monday after yesterday's day off) just wrapped, meaning we'll be talking w/ coordinators shortly.

@AUBlog

OC Rhett Lashlee

Lashlee is now here. "Overall it was a solid effort (Saturday)."

said the offense was a "little above average" Saturday, deeming it as a C+ or maybe a B-.

Lashlee said he felt that Brandon Fulse "graded out pretty well." Says the biggest thing to work on is "sustaining his blocks."

@wareagleextra

Lashlee on RB Cam Artis-Payne: "I thought Cameron did a good job the other day, I thought he got stronger as the game went on."

Lashlee jokes about Melvin Ray: "Melvin's old, right? … he's a quiet leader for us."

@AUBlog

"I was really proud in the second half," Lashlee said. "We did a good job of being mature in the second half and finishing the game."

Lashlee said he was really proud of Jeremy Johnson. "(Johnson) just played like a kid out there having a blast."

@TheAUPlainsman

"I was really proud in the second half," Lashlee said. "We did a good job of being mature in the second half and finishing the game."

Lashlee says Jeremy Johnson showed great poise in opener. "Really proud of the way he responded"

Lashlee "Nick is our starter and Jeremy will have a role"

Lashlee says overall Brandon Fulse played well in his role replacing Jay Prosch

@ITATJason

Lashlee says the Tigers could have executed a lot better.

The 3rd-and-shorts, Lashlee says, Auburn had blitzes schemed, but the blocker didn’t get there. Artis-Payne didn’t really have a chance

@JoelAEricksonAU

Rhett Lashlee says they're still looking at RB as 1 & 1A

Rhett Lashlee: Jeremy Johnson "played really well"

Lashlee: Offensive line play was "C-plus, B-minus"

Lashlee: calls having JJ6 & NM14 a "luxury"

Lashlee: Melvin Ray was the "most impressive" wide out

Lashlee: Duke did very well at blocking as well as receiving

Lashlee: "There's still a plan to play" Roc Thomas

@JamesCrepea

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on Melvin Ray: "Probably our most consistent receiver all fall camp….wouldn't be shocked if his role is expanded."

@AUGoldMine

HC Gus Malzahn (via Tiger Talk)

Malzahn: "First off all, we're excited to be 1-0. Being 1-0 in the SEC is important."

Malzahn on the second-half performance: "Our guys came out of the locker room like champions. They came out there and put the game away."

Malzahn said he told the team to expect a "dogfight" against a "much-improved" Arkansas team.

First question to Malzahn is about freshmen who might play against SJSU: "I feel like we'll have a chance to bring quite a few in this Sat."

And now we have a ball boy question. "I was real impressed with that. I didn't know he was that fast. Pretty proud of him for that."

Malzahn on SJSU's offense: "Expecting a balanced attack. They definitely have the talent...they knocked off Fresno State last year."

Malzahn on Jeremy Johnson: "To come in there in his first SEC start...he handled himself like a champion. He got us out a great start."

Malzahn on the offense: "We talk about being balanced. Being balanced is all about taking what the defense gives you."

Malzahn: "Football is a simple game, but you have to execute your plays." He feels like the offense is "getting there" with the playbook.

Malzahn on CAP: "Talk about running the football...Cameron did a great job of finishing runs, moving his feet."

Malzahn on Duke Williams: "He can do some things after he catches the ball. I think that'll be a good thing in the future."

Malzahn on Johnson not attempting a run: "He can run the ball, there was no question about that...we just got rolling with the pass there."

Malzahn on the offensive line: "Remember, we moved some guys around. I really expect that line to get better as we go on."

Malzahn said he feels good about the depth at all special teams positions. "You've got to have a plan."

Malzahn said Arkansas' offense "had some new wrinkles...they broke out of their huddles quicker and had a new 'wham' play."

Malzahn on Carlson: "Very proud of Daniel. That was one of things affecting my stress level heading into the first game as a true freshman."

Malzahn on Shon Coleman: "He graded out really well. We ran behind him a lot. He'll get better each game."

Malzahn asked about Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber's chances to play on Saturday: "Both of those guys will definitely be in the mix."

Malzahn on this week: "We watched the game film and got our corrections down. Now we're focusing on San Jose State."

Malzahn on SJSU: "Last year, they had the Fales kid. They threw the ball around the yard a lot...but they ran the ball a lot against UND."

Malzahn on goal for SJSU: "I just want to see us get better. They say you make the most improvement from Week 1 to Week 2...got to do that."

And that's it from Tiger Talk this evening. Lots of Arkansas recap and individual grading with a few looks ahead at San Jose State.

@JFergusonAU

DC Ellis Johnson

Ellis Johnson says he thought the defense was a little soft early

Johnson says the just really challenged the players at the half

@ITATJason

Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson now here. "We had some mistakes. ... That was to be expected."

Johnson: "Arkansas kept a tight end in early and kept chipping (our ends) early. ... They did a good job keeping our edge pressure off."

Johnson on Robenson Therezie: "He had a lot of flashy plays. ... Where he could have really helped us was on third down."

Johnson on San Jose State: "You see a lot of changing personnel. ... They've got two linemen and a tight end back."

Johnson on San Jose State's pass-catchers: "You literally have to throw it out of reach for them to miss balls."

@wareagleextra

Most of the issues were misalignments by the young kids

@AUGoldMine

Ellis Johnson: “We didn’t get a lot of pass rush. We’ve got to do a little more."

Arkansas’ fullback trap was a new play, but the second level was where Auburn was misaligned at the safety spot.

On Therezie, as expected, Johnson says he didn’t have enough work in game plan to get a lot of snaps.

Ellis Johnson on San Jose State: “I think we’ve got to be really prepared for the unexpected.”

Johnson sounds pretty happy with Cassanova McKinzy’s play. Very physical.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Ellis Johnson says majority of pass rush in second half came on blitzes

Ellis Johnson: Right guys on pash rush, just need to execute better

Ellis Johnson excited to have Therezie and Garrett on the field at the same time

Ellis Johnson: Cassanova McKinzy "made a lot of plays' but made mistakes. Kris Frost's coverage was "inconsistent"

@JamesCrepea

Johnson: "(We) didn't get a lot of pass rush, we've really got to look at that ... I think we have to improve in that area."

Johnson on mistakes on defense vs Arkansas: "It was a lot of self inflicted stuff."

@AUBlog

"They execute as well as any team I've watched this year," Johnson said about San Jose State. "They don't drop any footballs."

@TheAUPlainsman

Its good to hear that Ray might be seeing a bigger role. I worry that we might lose Coates and Duke to the NFL and would like us to already have a guy established as the next WR1

If he has a big year, Ray may be gone before Sammie.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Coates and Duke are the first two WRs taken in the draft next year if both declare.

Duke is the total package and very polished. Physically dominating and can catch anything near him. Reminds me of Brandon Marshall.

Coates is just a physical specimen. Will absolutely shred the combine. Reminds me of Julio Jones.

Then there's Ray who would probably be the best WR on most other teams.

I'll disagree on the polish. His routes weren't particularly sharp. The opposition was just overwhelmed. Where Duke excels is in his use of his considerable frame and catch radius. After limited exposure, my comp would be Anquan Boldin. Neither guy is a burner but both are athletic, big-bodied catch machines. The ball just finds them and sticks.

So the offense was C+ to B-? Interesting!

That is scary to think about.

I thought that, too, but then I remembered the two 3rd and 1 plays that we did not convert. I think that moved us from an A to a B. I'm not sure what else Rhett saw that caused him to grade us lower, or if it was just coach-speak. I pity the defensive coordinators who face this offense when we have our A game.

I'll disagree on the polish. His routes weren't particularly sharp. The opposition was just overwhelmed. Where Duke excels is in his use of his considerable frame and catch radius. After limited exposure, my comp would be Anquan Boldin. Neither guy is a burner but both are athletic, big-bodied catch machines. The ball just finds them and sticks.

Boldin strikes me as a good comparison.

Wait a minute, what?! Our O will again be phenomenal this year but THE biggest story around Auburn in the off season was Nick Marshall's passing improving to make us a "more balanced" O. Sure, Sammie dropped a low but catchable TD pass but Melvin had to sky for that grab and Nick's passing was arguably pretty dicey yet not a single Q about that...yet they're asking about BALL BOYS?

Good to hear Ellis opinion that our D issues were self inflicted, but the "new Arky wham/fullback blocking play reeked havoc" is lame, lame, lame.

So the offense was C+ to B-? Interesting!

That is scary to think about.

I thought that, too, but then I remembered the two 3rd and 1 plays that we did not convert. I think that moved us from an A to a B. I'm not sure what else Rhett saw that caused him to grade us lower, or if it was just coach-speak. I pity the defensive coordinators who face this offense when we have our A game.

It was little things. A few penalties, a few missed assignments on blocks, one dropped pass, a miscommunication between QB and WR. For week one we are in VERY good shape!!! The OC has to point this stuff out and keep his guys humble and hungry or he's not doing his job.

The Jekyll and Hyde defense, however, has me worried and hopeful all at the same time.

I've watched that replay 4 times. If that ball was low, our receivers would want all slants that low. And out in front. Nicks' footwork on the high pass was off, it seemed to me, but the footwork on the pass to Sammy looked really good.

The ball to Sammie wasn't low. At all. He bends low after it hits his hands in stride and gets away from him. The pass was pretty. Just over the safety and inside away from danger. Nick's passing was better (in a small sample) than last year.

Was the lack of targets toward Sammie's way due to Arky shifting its coverage towards him, leaving Duke the ability to run wild or was it something else?

Wait a minute, what?! Our O will again be phenomenal this year but THE biggest story around Auburn in the off season was Nick Marshall's passing improving to make us a "more balanced" O. Sure, Sammie dropped a low but catchable TD pass but Melvin had to sky for that grab and Nick's passing was arguably pretty dicey yet not a single Q about that...yet they're asking about BALL BOYS?

Good to hear Ellis opinion that our D issues were self inflicted, but the "new Arky wham/fullback blocking play reeked havoc" is lame, lame, lame.

Well, I think if NM had played the whole game, we would have focused on the passing game. I really felt like he did a good job of going through his progressions... he only threw the one bad pass that was caught. I think since he came in late in the game, we just worked on re-establishing the run because it had been dicey in the first half.

Question for anyone on this board, and sorry if this is the wrong place: At one point we got a penalty for having "12 men in the huddle", but this is confusing, as the only time we huddle is for the quick snap plays like the quick pitch to Taillights. How does one get a penalty for too many men in the huddle when they don't huddle?

Question for anyone on this board, and sorry if this is the wrong place: At one point we got a penalty for having "12 men in the huddle", but this is confusing, as the only time we huddle is for the quick snap plays like the quick pitch to Taillights. How does one get a penalty for too many men in the huddle when they don't huddle?

I believe the way the rule is written, having them inside the numbers is what is counted. That penalty is called immediately as a dead ball foul. Illegal Substitution is when the player being subbed for doesn't get off the field before the snap, and play continues. In the NFL I have seen an Illegal Participation penalty called, where 12 players are participating in the play (15 yards). I don't know if the rule is the same for college. Perhaps WarTiger can enlighten us.

12 men inside the numbers or actually aligned in the formation. Either of those, even if corrected, would be a substitution infraction.

Archived