Help! Can someone explain?

AUisAll

I understand that Coach Ellis made 'adjustments' at halftime and I know similar differences have occurred many times in the past. But the difference between the 1st and 2nd half defensively was unreal. I didn't expect AU's defense to be as bad as it was in the 1st half or as good as it was in the 2nd half. I did expect it to be a little closer to the 2nd half performance. Anyway, here is my question is someone can explain. What specifically did AU do differently?

Arky oddly backed off the number of power run plays too. I kept looking to see if Marshall (their RB) getting hurt in the 1st half was a reason but it didn't make sense to me. Arky went back to the frequent Collins calls after a while but that's another consideration aside from our D getting chewed by Garner and Ellis realizing Arky's overbearing O line was more than he apparently thought it would be. Loved how Ellis was kindly never shown on camera upstairs until the D cleaned it up in the 2d half.

DL started playing gaps instead of trying to get in the backfield. It also seemed like we did more blitzing in the second half to get pressure on the QB.

I understand that Coach Ellis made 'adjustments' at halftime and I know similar differences have occurred many times in the past. But the difference between the 1st and 2nd half defensively was unreal. I didn't expect AU's defense to be as bad as it was in the 1st half or as good as it was in the 2nd half. I did expect it to be a little closer to the 2nd half performance. Anyway, here is my question is someone can explain. What specifically did AU do differently?

Ellis said that Arkansas used the same formations as last year but changed up the blocking schemes significantly, causing some confusion on alignments and such. So they got that corrected at halftime. But the other thing was they were using inside traps and other similar plays to use our aggressiveness against us. Basically they would let one of our DTs practically fire into the backfield uncontested at the line creating a huge gap where he once was. That player would then get walled off from one side by a pulling guard or TE/FB. The guard that was lined up opposite the DT who was allowed in would either pull and crack the other DT from the side, or immediately fire forward to the next level and take on a LB. We corrected that by having the linemen play more gap assignment rather than aggressively trying to get penetration. It gummed up the line of scrimmage and allowed the LBs and safeties to flow to the ball and plug the remaining holes.

Ellis said that Arkansas used the same formations as last year but changed up the blocking schemes significantly, causing some confusion on alignments and such. So they got that corrected at halftime. But the other thing was they were using inside traps and other similar plays to use our aggressiveness against us. Basically they would let one of our DTs practically fire into the backfield uncontested at the line creating a huge gap where he once was. That player would then get walled off from one side by a pulling guard or TE/FB. The guard that was lined up opposite the DT who was allowed in would either pull and crack the other DT from the side, or immediately fire forward to the next level and take on a LB. We corrected that by having the linemen play more gap assignment rather than aggressively trying to get penetration. It gummed up the line of scrimmage and allowed the LBs and safeties to flow to the ball and plug the remaining holes.

I'm glad someone asked and great explanation... Thank you. I've watched football my whole life (my mom says my first word was touchdown) but never played (other than in the backyard) because I'm female. So even though I understand the rules of the game and enjoy watching it, the Xs and Os are hard for me to grasp. Since I've been on this board, I've learned a lot because of these questions and great explanations. Thanks again!

This!!!! I kept thinking "why are our guys almost able to take the hand-off from the QB, yet they run for 8-10 yards a carry????". Then I noticed that Arky was doing this deliberately. This was also exploited even more so because our LBs and Safeties were over-pursuing, and not communicating assignments on who covers what gap. Many times I saw 2-3 of our 2nd level defenders all running to the same spot on the field, meanwhile the Arky RB cuts back and scampers for 10-12 yards of open field. Once Coach Ellis got everyone on the same page, and the guys started playing disciplined defense, the piggies were done. I also think we confused them when we went to a 3-3-5 scheme, and took them out of their gameplan.

Great win for the guys! War Eagle!!!

Someone with a bit more knowledge please describe what we did different in the 2nd half defensively. It looked like two games.

What I saw was Wright moved back to the inside. Also, we did not over pursue. It seemed in the first half we busted through the line. Second half we plugged the line. One note, if they get through the line it is almost a guarantee 5+ yards. LB's were getting blocked. No plugging the holes.

I'm glad someone asked and great explanation... Thank you. I've watched football my whole life (my mom says my first word was touchdown) but never played (other than in the backyard) because I'm female. So even though I understand the rules of the game and enjoy watching it, the Xs and Os are hard for me to grasp. Since I've been on this board, I've learned a lot because of these questions and great explanations. Thanks again!

jesse Palmer played more football than anyone on this board and he didn't understand it either.

Well put Titian. Bret really put a lot into that game and he had a great plan till AU stopped it.

jesse Palmer played more football than anyone on this board and he didn't understand it either.

Thanks for the explanations all! This explanation certainly fits. We appeared to be all over the backfield, except where the RB was!

As Titan explained, one of their best plays was to set the FB on a wing, allow our DT through on a phony block, then have the FB trap block our DT. It happened several times. Why it took so long to adjust for that is another question.

As Titan explained, one of their best plays was to set the FB on a wing, allow our DT through on a phony block, then have the FB trap block our DT. It happened several times. Why it took so long to adjust for that is another question.

I think our coaches may have thought initially that our DL just wasn't physical enough against the huge arky OL. After being trapped the entire first half the coaches realized it was more technique and corrected it. A situation like this is much more likely to happen in the opening game than later in the season.

I'm not giving the coaching staff a pass on taking so long to correct the trap blocks on the 2 technique DT's by the Arky FB.

CEJ is up in up in the press box and has been around since God invented dirt. Trap bocks are one of the oldest OL stunts. They even teach Jr Hi kids to watch for them and what to do about them. By Arky's 3rd possession of the 1st Qt. CEJ should have been on top of it.

Then CEJ should have gotten on the head set to CRG and told him. According to many on this site, CRG is the best DL coach in America, so surely he could have coached up the DT's.

The DT's did respond to coaching at halftime, there is no reason to believe they would not have responded mid way in the 1st Qt.

I know this may sound harsh, but one day facing a team with both elite talent and elite coaching, we may find ourselves in a hole we can't dig out of.

Ellis Johnson proved last season he can come up with a game plan to beat the opponent. Let's get off his case for a second and realize that players have to adjust as well, and that Arkansas has the largest OL we will face this season. Heck, they have one of the biggest OL's in football period.

Ellis Johnson proved last season he can come up with a game plan to beat the opponent. Let's get off his case for a second and realize that players have to adjust as well, and that Arkansas has the largest OL we will face this season. Heck, they have one of the biggest OL's in football period.

Some on those guys on Arky's line looked like small mountains out there. In that heat they couldn't keep up either.

Just before halftime, my wife said we made some great corrections last year and she hopes we can do the same this year. I agreed and a concur CEJ has saved our bacon more than once with his ability to see what's going on and willingness to adapt.

I just want CGM to hold both the players and coaches to a standard of winning ever snap, not just the snaps in a certain QT or half.

We gave up 2 yards rushing and 0 points in the second half, pretty dang good in my book. Definitely something to build off of and I have every reason to believe CEJ and crew will make the necessary adjustment to avoid first half lackluster starts.

I'm not giving the coaching staff a pass on taking so long to correct the trap blocks on the 2 technique DT's by the Arky FB.

CEJ is up in up in the press box and has been around since God invented dirt. Trap bocks are one of the oldest OL stunts. They even teach Jr Hi kids to watch for them and what to do about them. By Arky's 3rd possession of the 1st Qt. CEJ should have been on top of it.

Then CEJ should have gotten on the head set to CRG and told him. According to many on this site, CRG is the best DL coach in America, so surely he could have coached up the DT's.

The DT's did respond to coaching at halftime, there is no reason to believe they would not have responded mid way in the 1st Qt.

I know this may sound harsh, but one day facing a team with both elite talent and elite coaching, we may find ourselves in a hole we can't dig out of.

^^^Agree 100%^^^

If you've been paying attention the past few years, you'd know that Coach Garner's arrival has toughened up the DL as he has coached them to be more aggressive & get penetration to disrupt the OL blocking and to get a better pass rush. Trap plays tend to exploit that aggressiveness and you have to tip your hat to the Arky coaching staff for having that as their game plan. Making the "adjustment" first requires the DC to observe it (usually more than once,) recognize it for what it is and who is doing the trap on whom, and then diagram a fix to the defense so they can all be on the same page. That takes time. It's not as simple as the DC phoning down to the sideline to say, "hey, watch out for the trap play." The defense needs specific instructions. The downside to the DL clogging up the gaps so as not to get trapped is that you then don't have much of a pass rush ... unless you bring it with a blitz a la Therezie in the 2nd half. Hap tip to CEJ(!)

Arkansas did not back off, once AU changed what they were doing their running game became unproductive, at that point they change what they were doing. After the interception and AU started wear down the clock they had to abandon the run pretty much all together. Arky spent a lot of their offseason preparing this and it worked well for a little while. Other teams won't have the advantage of spending a whole off-season preparing this type of a game plan. Bottom line is don't over-read this as a problem for our defense. WDE

I was getting incredibly angry listening to the announcers make statements like "Auburn is not getting any penetration" and "Arkansas is blowing them off the ball". It was clear to see Auburn was spending plenty of time in the backfield, just leaving giant holes behind them.

Archived