Top 4 CFP Teams

RunInRed

Don't think I'm being too much of a homer when I say that the 3 most impressive looking teams to me were us, aTm and UGA. Honestly can't think of another performance that stood out. I think bama will get their act together, and FSU might've just been sleepwalking, but both will have to play much better than they did this weekend IMO.

Doesn't really answer your question, I know. I'll go w/ AU, aTm, FSU and, I dunno, Oklahoma, I guess. AU and aTm finish the regular season with only 1 loss between us. Winner of that game thumps UGA in the SECCG, both teams advance.

UGA was impressive but I'm not very sure they are all that; Clemson was missing a QB and some WRs, and we don't really know how good Clemson was otherwise. Think I'd have to see more from Georgia to be impressed, but they definitely move up in the rankings. I'll go

Auburn

Fla St

Oregon

Tex A&M

At this point, I would knock Alabama and USC out and put in UGA and Tx. A&M. Possibly even put them ahead of us. I would knock FSU down a step or 2, as well. It all depends on whether one is ranking based on where they think the teams are now vs. where you think they'll end up. I think FSU, S. Carolina, and Bama will probably develop into better teams as the season goes along than they showed on Saturday. UGA and Tx A&M looked like world-beaters, but history is replete with examples where how you start isn't always where you end up.

USC (this year's "Auburn")

Auburn (I think our only loss is in Athens and then beat the puppies in a rematch in Atlanta)

K-State (only loss will be to us)

Michigan St. (but who really knows who will suck the least and win the Big 10)

I think UGA and A&M will have claims to get in, but there will be enormous pressure on the committee to not put 2 from the same conference. Florida St might get in, but I don't think they go undefeated.

In my opinion, TAMU should be #1... They played lights out from start to finish against a very quality opponent. If they can keep that sort of swagger and momentum, then they are the best team this year.

HOWEVER:

The adjustment that Auburn made at halftime is still freaking unbelievable to me. 61 yards of total offense for the ENTIRE second half??? WOW! Actually, LSU had a very impressive second half as well.

I'm not ready to say who the 4 teams at the end will be right now, but here is a list of teams that I saw and who impressed me this weekend.

1. TA&MU .... All I have to say is HOLY SMOKES! CALL THIS GUY SUPER IMPRESSED!

2. UGA....Another Wow in my mind.... Remember, BOTH those two teams have new starting QB's.

3. Auburn...Best halftime adjustment i've ever seen in my life!

4. LSU... New QB, lots of new faces, on the road... Yep, I'm impressed

5. UT....Looked pretty damn sharp, and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm impressed and happy for them to FINALLY seem to be on the right track again.

6. Louisville... Bobby Petrino is BACK! Need I say more?

Other teams that seem pretty good in my opinion:

Mich St.

USC

Baylor

Mississippi St.

Here is my "Hey, at least they won their games" and MIGHT do Ok" list:

Bama.... made adjustments when neccessary, Nothing spectacular AT ALL about them, except for they did have more of a desire to win than WVU

Florida State....Should of lost the game

UCLA.... very disapointing and underwhelming in my opinion

Ole Miss... up and down sort of year I expect. Could beat or get beaten by anyone on any given Saturday.

With Week 1 in the books, who are your Top 4 College Football Playoff teams?

Bwi_IT5_CMAEWi_T4.jpg

After week 1, that's a pretty solid list IMO. The tricky thing is imagining the Ironbowl LOSER remaining in the playoff conversation. Hard to see unless that's their only loss plus they'd then have to win the SEC title game handily to get final 4 I think. In other words the Ironbowl WINNER would have to have been so far out of winning the SEC West, their Ironbowl win would still not get them into the SEC title game. Yet they're good enough to finish final 4 themselves. It could happen, just saying.

Auburn (I think our only loss is in Athens and then beat the puppies in a rematch in Atlanta)

I think UGA and A&M will have claims to get in, but there will be enormous pressure on the committee to not put 2 from the same conference. Florida St might get in, but I don't think they go undefeated.

Not trying to be rude or call you about specifically, but I've seen a lot of love from from various places thrown towards Kansas State, and I'm not sure that I get it. They lost five games last year, one of which was to a FCS team (I know NDSU is no slouch, but still). Until they notch a quality victory, it's hard for me to really buy into them.

Way to early to pick top 4 teams as first game doesn't show which teams will improve and which will go backwards. But if I had to say top 4 not in order will be.

Auburn

Texas A&M

USC

Some Big Ten team that will go undefeated without playing anybody and will get waxed in the playoffs.

Ask this question again after about 5th week in the season.

I gave my top 5 on the show Sunday morning as 1) Texas A&M 2) Auburn and Georgia 4) Alabama and 5) Oregon.

I base my rankings on the only thing anyone should ever base them on "how good do you think they are." That's what I saw on opening week. It will change as I get to see more of each team. If I did a top 10 Ohio State would not be in it and that was before Braxton Miller was lost for the season.

Not trying to be rude or call you about specifically, but I've seen a lot of love from from various places thrown towards Kansas State, and I'm not sure that I get it. They lost five games last year, one of which was to a FCS team (I know NDSU is no slouch, but still). Until they notch a quality victory, it's hard for me to really buy into them.

Not jumping to anybody's aid, but IMO Kstate ended last year on the rise after starting horribly, beating a good TCU and throttling an also improved Michigan in their bowl game. They played Okie in Manahattan late in the season way WAY better than Bama did in the Sugar. They return a buttload of guys in key positions this year, guys that looked good by SEC standards by season's end. Intangibly, Kstate is quirky for us, like Arky in the sense we play nobody else like them and haven't for a while. Plus road game. I have Kstate and Bama as our only losses this year. I'd say the above poster's choice of USC as this year's Auburn is the curious part of that post. IMHO.

Improved Michigan? Compared to what? Michigan was much much worse last year than they were in 2012, and they started the season 5-0 before crashing to 7-6. They didn't improve over the course of the season. At the end of last season, Michigan was a shadow of the team they had been for the previous year and a half. Frankly, Michigan has gotten worse every season Hoke has been there (11-2, 8-5, 7-6).

Way to early to pick top 4 teams as first game doesn't show which teams will improve and which will go backwards. But if I had to say top 4 not in order will be.

Auburn

Texas A&M

USC

Some Big Ten team that will go undefeated without playing anybody and will get waxed in the playoffs.

Ask this question again after about 5th week in the season.

Not sure there will be a undefeated Big Ten team, the conference is down as a whole and WI is probably the best team in one division and already lost...Most say Michigan State is the best in the other division and they play Oregon this Saturday. I really believe they will be the conference on the outside looking in this year along with the Big 12. But like you said lets ask again around week 5

1) AU. ..2) USCw. ..3) UGA. ..4) Oklahoma

If they dont fall this season I think FSU will claim one of those spots, but I'm feeling an upset game for them with Louisville. I can't fathom the committee allowing FSU in with a conference loss given their garbage schedule. I really feel bammer will fall at some point this season. It's gonna be tough for us to stay blemish free as well regardless. Oklahoma has a setup to win their conference this year. And IMO USCw only competition will be Oregon.

Not jumping to anybody's aid, but IMO Kstate ended last year on the rise after starting horribly, beating a good TCU and throttling an also improved Michigan in their bowl game. They played Okie in Manahattan late in the season way WAY better than Bama did in the Sugar. They return a buttload of guys in key positions this year, guys that looked good by SEC standards by season's end. Intangibly, Kstate is quirky for us, like Arky in the sense we play nobody else like them and haven't for a while. Plus road game. I have Kstate and Bama as our only losses this year. I'd say the above poster's choice of USC as this year's Auburn is the curious part of that post. IMHO.

I don't know that the Michigan win was really something to hang their hat on. Michigan had a few close losses towards the end, but otherwise limped into the post season. TCU actually had a pretty down year last year and missed a bowl game. In fact, other than Michigan, the only wins Kansas St. had over bowl bound teams were against Texas Tech and the Rajin' Cajuns. I'll give you that Kansas St. is a weird team capable of pulling off a good upset or two over the course of the year (maybe even us, but I doubt it), but there is a wide talent gap between them and the big boys.

4 Teams I think will be there in the end:

FSU - They didn't look great, but I just don't see anyone on their schedule that I think will beat them

Oklahoma - Another flawed team, but with Bryce Petty's injury, I think they benefit from a relatively weak schedule.

Auburn - Really a crap shoot in the SEC at this point, but I'll go with Auburn at this point. Auburn/Georgia/Bama/aTm could easily take this spot though, in that order, IMO. But I think the SEC only sends 1 this year.

Oregon - I think they win the PAC-12 and beat MSU. (I think MSU wins the B1G and will go in Oregon's place should they win the head to head)

Tony Barnhart weighs in after Week 1 ...

Here are this week’s top four teams. Feel free to disagree (because I know you will):

1) Georgia (1-0): The Bulldogs were the most impressive team I saw in the first weekend as they dominated a good Clemson team 45-21. They have the best running back in college football (Todd Gurley) and go four-deep with great players at the position. Hutson Mason is a solid quarterback and when he gets wide receivers Malcolm Mitchell and Justin Scott-Wesley back on the field, the offense will be really hard to handle. After giving up 21 points in the first half to Clemson, Georgia’s defense held a good offensive team to only one first down in seven possessions in the second half. Georgia plays a huge conference game at South Carolina on Sept. 13.

2) Florida State (1-0): The defending national champions got a lot tougher challenge from Oklahoma State (winning 37-31 in Arlington, Tex.) than expected. But here is what the Seminoles are going to learn. After you’ve won a national championship, the next year your motto is very simple: Survive and advance. You just have to win. I didn’t think Florida State’s performance merited No. 1, but it was good enough to be in the top four.

3) Oregon (1-0): We didn’t learn a whole lot in Oregon’s 62-13 win over South Dakota but I will say this: As long as QB Marcus Mariota stays healthy, the Ducks are going to be favored in every game they play. Michigan State goes to Autzen Stadium on Saturday in a monster inter-sectional game.

4) Auburn (1-0): Very impressive in the second half in beating Arkansas 45-21. With the addition of Duke Williams at wide receiver and the ability of backup QB Jeremy Johnson to throw the ball, this is a more versatile team than the one that won the SEC championship last season. The road schedule is just ridiculous. Big game at Kansas State on Sept. 18.

http://mrcollegefootball.blog.ajc.com/2014/09/02/our-first-projected-final-four-georgia-fsu-oregon-auburn/

1. Oregon

2. Auburn

3. FSU

4. Georgia

FSU

Georgia

Oregon

Oklahoma

I think Auburn is one of the 4 best, but I seriously doubt the committee will put 2 SEC teams in especially in the first year. Of course, this list will change as more games are played.

Top 4 teams is UGA, TAMU, AU, and Oregon I guess

not my rankings but based off of wk 1

I'm with you...

.... based on just 1 week of actual how they performed and in no particular order. No end the of season, no this team or that canceling out another, and no they could have done better.

If I had to go there aTm appeared strongest of the pack. And Bamma wasn't even an honorable mention as a top 4 team, not based on on-the-field performance, and definitely somewhere behind FSU and Oklahoma.

Archived