Melvin Ray

RunInRed

Deserves his own thread ...

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee on Melvin Ray: "Probably our most consistent receiver all fall camp….wouldn't be shocked if his role is expanded."

Auburn DB Jermaine Whitehead calls receiver Melvin Ray "the grown man of the group. He's a guy who runs great routes..does everything right"

@AUGoldMine

Lashlee jokes about Melvin Ray: "Melvin's old, right? … he's a quiet leader for us."

@AUBlog

Lashlee: Melvin Ray was the "most impressive" wide out

@JamesCrepea

Bwc280yIAAEyw6y.jpg

Agreed. I remember Kiehl Frazier's dad, when he still frequented this board saying Kiehl thought Ray was going to be a star. That was before the 2012 season. I'm glad to see that Ray is starting to break out.

I'm glad melvin is getting his oppurtunity. He's a big, strong man with good speed. Hope he continues to make big plays for us down the stretch. We have a very good group of WRs with Ray, Coates, Duke and Louis on the field, there are no Dbs in the country that can push us around or run with us. I like the way our O played Saturday especially if Lashlee only gives us an average grade.

High five, AU80cruiser! (Don't pay attention to the other stuff in my post... yet...)

I'm going to go with Melvin Ray on offense. No, he's probably not going to consistently put up meaningful numbers throughout the season, but heck, he already surprised- well, me, at least- big time in the BCSCG. And he is a big dude with some versatility.

On defense, I think Owens, Whitaker and McKinzy are going to step up.

I also think a lot of other players- Louis, Denson, Fulse, Frost, Daniel and Moncrief, in particular- are going to produce, but none of those guys should be a "surprise" IMO. Ditto for Grant running between the tackles.

Ray caught several passes in A-day and he's my pick too.

http://www.aufamily...._9#entry2076449

It really was great to see Melvin make those two grabs; maybe he'll finally have the chance to live up to his tremendous potential! :)

It really was great to see Melvin make those two grabs; maybe he'll finally have the chance to live up to his tremendous potential! :)

Not to sidetrack, hopefully, but I can't remember a single catch among this group of WRs that is even in the zip code of quality of that one he climbed the ladder for Saturday. The closest I can come up with is Marcus Davis's catch against aTm last year. Before that, I'd have to go back to Darvin Adams's 4th-down conversion on the sideline on the go-ahead touchdown drive in the '10 IB. Just a combination of athleticism, technique and sheer will that I hope is a sign of more good things to come from all the guys.

High five, AU80cruiser! (Don't pay attention to the other stuff in my post... yet...)

I'm going to go with Melvin Ray on offense. No, he's probably not going to consistently put up meaningful numbers throughout the season, but heck, he already surprised- well, me, at least- big time in the BCSCG. And he is a big dude with some versatility.

On defense, I think Owens, Whitaker and McKinzy are going to step up.

I also think a lot of other players- Louis, Denson, Fulse, Frost, Daniel and Moncrief, in particular- are going to produce, but none of those guys should be a "surprise" IMO. Ditto for Grant running between the tackles.

Ray caught several passes in A-day and he's my pick too.

http://www.aufamily...._9#entry2076449

Heck yeah, Ray surprised me with that second catch. I only expected catches like that from Duke Williams.

Not to sidetrack, hopefully, but I can't remember a single catch among this group of WRs that is even in the zip code of quality of that one he climbed the ladder for Saturday. The closest I can come up with is Marcus Davis's catch against aTm last year. Before that, I'd have to go back to Darvin Adams's 4th-down conversion on the sideline on the go-ahead touchdown drive in the '10 IB. Just a combination of athleticism, technique and sheer will that I hope is a sign of more good things to come from all the guys.

We have seen Coats and Williams make unbelieveable catches in practice and in the spring game. I know that is not in a real game but we know they can do it.

Is he on scholarship yet?

I think the Dodgers are still paying his tuition. Would Auburn offer him a scholarship if his tuition is already being paid? I don't know for sure. Are there more benefits with an athletic scholarship or would he try to earn one because of the prestige of having an athletic scholarship?

No, his baseball contract stipulated that his college would be paid for if he left baseball and wanted to enroll at a University. We get a very tallented young man (SEC caliber WR) without using a scholly. Win win for everyone. I don't think this young man is worried about the "prestige" of a scholarship, I think he just wants a chance to prove he can play football. Making catches like Saturday and clearing the way for RBs will earn him a spot in the NFL, IMO.

No, his baseball contract stipulated that his college would be paid for if he left baseball and wanted to enroll at a University. We get a very tallented young man (SEC caliber WR) without using a scholly. Win win for everyone. I don't think this young man is worried about the "prestige" of a scholarship, I think he just wants a chance to prove he can play football. Making catches like Saturday and clearing the way for RBs will earn him a spot in the NFL, IMO.

He and Ricardo Louis both remind me a bit of Terrell Zachery, who I believe is still playing pro ball.

Ray has developed into what I hoped he would be on day 1. We tend to want immediate production and I have to keep reminding myself it takes time to develop a skill. I think he is still improving. Seems like a worker.

Always nice to see a guy who has put in the work start to reap the benefits! Looks like this is going to be a good year for Ray. Also shout out to Trovon Reed for playing a lot against arky. Another guy who has put in the work and is starting to see it pay off.

Always nice to see a guy who has put in the work start to reap the benefits! Looks like this is going to be a good year for Ray. Also shout out to Trovon Reed for playing a lot against arky. Another guy who has put in the work and is starting to see it pay off.

But I thought because Kiehl Frazier didn't pan out on defense Trovon wasn't going to!

But I thought because Kiehl Frazier didn't pan out on defense Trovon wasn't going to!

Trovon did play a lot in the first half, but he didn't look too good to me. He was the one that got burned on their dropped touchdown, and also failed To wrap up on a tackle that led to a first down. I think we'll see him a lot this upcoming week. I think Jonathan jones stepped up and had a good game last week.

Trovon did play a lot in the first half, but he didn't look too good to me. He was the one that got burned on their dropped touchdown, and also failed To wrap up on a tackle that led to a first down. I think we'll see him a lot this upcoming week. I think Jonathan jones stepped up and had a good game last week.

that missed tackle was disappointing. But it was in 2nd half so no harm.

Well geez I guess a brother can't have a mistake or two in his first game as an SEC corner. Considering it was his first game, I'd say he did phenomenal.

Well geez I guess a brother can't have a mistake or two in his first game as an SEC corner. Considering it was his first game, I'd say he did phenomenal.

Phenominal is a strong word. We survived several mistakes that were made the first half due to a dominant showing the second half. IMO, Reed will come along. He just needs the reps and to wrap up when he makes the hits.

Archived