Spotlight on D'haquille Williams

StatTiger

D'haquille Williams clearly lived up to all the preseason hype, catching 9 passes for 154-yards against the Razorbacks. He led all offensive players with 5 impact plays or plays of 15-yards or more. He became only the 4th Auburn WR to record at least 5 impact plays during a game against a conference opponent from 1992-2014.

The play...

Ark-WilliamsTD_zps9830aa06.jpg

On this play Auburn faces a 3rd & 6 from the Razorback 18-yard line. The Tigers come out in a 4-WR set with D'haquille Williams lined up in the slot on the wide-side of the field. Arkansas responds with a nickel package and their safeties playing deep off the line. This opens up the middle of the field for a quick slant, which Auburn executes with Williams.

As soon as Jeremy Johnson takes the snap, he immediately fires his pass to Williams, who cuts inside the nickel corner. By the time the safety arrives into view, Williams already has made the first down, headed towards the Razorback endzone. Williams fights through both DB's and extends his upper body and ball over the goal line for his first touchdown as an Auburn Tiger.

D'haquille Williams will be a nightmare to cover in the slot this season but expect Malzahn and Lashlee to move him around to create other mismatches on the field.

Prior 5-play impact performances against SEC teams...

1995 Tyrone Goodson - Ole Miss

1996 Tyrone Goodson - Miss State

1997 Tyrone Goodson - LSU

1997 Tyrone Goodson - Ole Miss

2009 Darvin Adams - Miss State

2012 Emory Blake - Georgia

Love having such a mammoth threat over the middle ... toss in Sammie and Melvin on the boundaries ... plus the run game ... plus dual-threat Marshall .... man, talk about picking your poison. Literally, I can not remember the last time Auburn had this many weapons.

Love having such a mammoth threat over the middle ... toss in Sammie and Melvin on the boundaries ... plus the run game ... plus dual-threat Marshall .... man, talk about picking your poison. Literally, I can not remember the last time Auburn had this many weapons.

Put Sammie and duke on one side, Ricardo and Melvin Ray on the other... CAP and Marshall in the backfield... I'm drooling

Put Sammie and duke on one side, Ricardo and Melvin Ray on the other... CAP and Marshall in the backfield... I'm drooling

And the heck of it is, there is very little drop off after them. We didn't even mention Uzomah, Grant, Roc, Louis, etc...

Sorry, I just can't resist adding to the list: Barber, Davis, Stevens, Truitt.... the entire 2-deep on the OL... and those are just the guys who will see snaps this year...

From what I've seen so far, my top skill-player grouping is:

Marshall

Fulse

Artis-Payne

Louis

Williams

Coates

Again, from what we've seen so far, that grouping provides the best mix of options. Fulse's inclusion highlights what a difference an H-Back has in our run game. It's a major position in this offense, and playing Louis provides both the sweep-run option and an outside player, which lets Williams work in the slot to the middle of the field. Uzomah is a poor-man's Fulse (in terms of blocking) and a legit, large-target receiver. Ray provides another big-bodied target on the edge, and he's a hell of a blocker. Those are my next two guys.

From what I've seen so far, my top skill-player grouping is:

Marshall

Fulse

Artis-Payne

Louis

Williams

Coates

Again, from what we've seen so far, that grouping provides the best mix of options. Fulse's inclusion highlights what a difference an H-Back has in our run game. It's a major position in this offense, and playing Louis provides both the sweep-run option and an outside player, which lets Williams work in the slot to the middle of the field. Uzomah is a poor-man's Fulse (in terms of blocking) and a legit, large-target receiver. Ray provides another big-bodied target on the edge, and he's a hell of a blocker. Those are my next two guys.

I don't think we miss a beat with Grant in as the running back either. I expect several long runs this season from Grant.

1995 Tyrone Goodson - Ole Miss

1996 Tyrone Goodson - Miss State

1997 Tyrone Goodson - LSU

1997 Tyrone Goodson - Ole Miss

2009 Darvin Adams - Miss State

2012 Emory Blake - Georgia

Tyrone Goodson made a career hurting the Mississippi schools.

And the heck of it is, there is very little drop off after them. We didn't even mention Uzomah, Grant, Roc, Louis, etc...

Took the words right off my keyboard. Then throw in our 2nd string O-line and current O-line, RB, and QB recruits.... Good gracious, I hope we can keep Gus happy on the plains!

I heard Tom Luginbill say yesterday that Duke Williams was the single best addition to any team in college football this year. I tend to agree!

4th down with the season on the line, he is the guy.

If he is the man, use him before we get to a 4th down with the season on the line - I much prefer not having to score at the end to win, prefer just have a two touchdown lead and run the clock.

Archived