Nice ESPN article on Duke

Gulf Breeze Tiger

"It just made me feel like they love me,” Williams told reporters after the game. “I never thought I'd have a chant like that.

“When they chanted that, I caught the chills. My heart just started beating faster. I'm just like, there's no way 90,000 just chanted my name. I ran to the sidelines and just had to take a seat, put a towel on my head and start thinking, 'It's really here. Everything I worked for.'”

Great to see hard work and sacrifice pay off for Duke. JUCO route can be tough pill for talented players to swallow, but he made the most of it and so far soooooo good!!

On another note CBS Power Poll has GA #1 and us #2..... Our pals at ESPN have us DROPPING 2 spots to #7 in their Power Poll. Go figure.

While it is often a point of contention for other schools' trash talk, I have been a fan of us taking in JUCO transfers. Fact of the matter is that Cam Newton and Nick Marshall wouldn't be here otherwise, and neither would Duke. I have a feeling that all three will end up being players talked about for a long time to come.

Awesome to hear a young man shocked at getting his name chanted instead of expecting it. Quotes like that make it even easier to root for the guy. WDE, Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke.

And screw espn

While it is often a point of contention for other schools' trash talk, I have been a fan of us taking in JUCO transfers. Fact of the matter is that Cam Newton and Nick Marshall wouldn't be here otherwise, and neither would Duke. I have a feeling that all three will end up being players talked about for a long time to come.

Me too. I know it hurts depth but special players (like Cam Newton and maybe Nick Marshall and Duke Williams) only come along so often. It doesn't bother me one bit what other schools have to say about our JUCO's. They have them too.

It really saddens me that Duke will most likely be one-and-done. While I think Nick has improved and will distribute the ball well, Duke getting a whole year with JJ as the starter could put up some all-time numbers

I have wrestled plenty of division 1 wrestlers and plenty of JUCO wrestlers. There is no doubt in my mind who wants it more out of the two and I will never allow negative talk about JUCO players in any sport. My hat is off to those kids, yeah they screwed up somewhere along the line but the majority will be damned if they do it again.

On another note CBS Power Poll has GA #1 and us #2..... Our pals at ESPN have us DROPPING 2 spots to #7 in their Power Poll. Go figure.

So AU was favorite to beat an SEC team by 21 points, and AU wins by 24, while milking the clock, half the game with our 2nd string QB and we win by 24 points but drop 2 spots to #7 in the BSPN power poll????? No bias what-so-ever there!

Thanks CBS, for putting AU at #2 in your power poll!

ESPN also has us at #3 in their Football Power Index. Not sure what goes into that or their Power Poll, but there is obviously a variety of opinions there.

ESPN also has us at #3 in their Football Power Index. Not sure what goes into that or their Power Poll, but there is obviously a variety of opinions there.

FPI is a computer poll based on simulated games. The Power Rankings are made by a group of "experts", with the average of their polls being taken as the ranking. We fell because half the pollsters have us as the #9 or #10 team, the most egregious example being David Pollack, who has us #10 and his alma mater #1.

JUCO shouldn't have the derogatory connotation it once deserved. When prop 48 came out it meant you basically couldn't spell your name and heisman trophy winner and media-worshipped Charlie ward (FSU) was of that era of prop 48ers. Nowdays the academic leap from high school to college isn't artificially given as much for athletes and some guys just mature later as students.

Me too. I know it hurts depth but special players (like Cam Newton and maybe Nick Marshall and Duke Williams) only come along so often. It doesn't bother me one bit what other schools have to say about our JUCO's. They have them too.

#90 and his Outland trophy wanted to say hello as well.

I love hearing that story. Hey, maybe if we show him enough love, he will stick around for 2 years.

I can hope, right?

I think the NCAA would frown on us showing him that much love.

I have wrestled plenty of division 1 wrestlers and plenty of JUCO wrestlers. There is no doubt in my mind who wants it more out of the two and I will never allow negative talk about JUCO players in any sport. My hat is off to those kids, yeah they screwed up somewhere along the line but the majority will be damned if they do it again.

Cool insight, thanks for sharing. WDE, and remind me to not challenge you to a wrestling match over any disagreements we might have on this forum :)

I still think he needs a good nickname. so much toilet humor there, he's the sh##, put the stink on it big Duke...scores td, eww that's was nasty, I'm rambling.

FPI is a computer poll based on simulated games. The Power Rankings are made by a group of "experts", with the average of their polls being taken as the ranking. We fell because half the pollsters have us as the #9 or #10 team, the most egregious example being David Pollack, who has us #10 and his alma mater #1.

Of course I am really not surprised at anything a BSPN "Group of Experts" does to AU, to include the chief expert Pollack having us at #10. My point is, how does the said group of experts drop us, when we win by 24, with our 2nd string QB the entire 1st half, and arguably one of our best defensive players (Therezie) playing just in spots, specifically in the first half, after a late NCAA decision, when the Vegas best guess was a win by 21.

Also, Gus could have easily added another 7, but he played the gentlemen role and milked the clock before we score again. All this and the "group of experts" drop us?

I still think he needs a good nickname. so much toilet humor there, he's the sh##, put the stink on it big Duke...scores td, eww that's was nasty, I'm rambling.

Dude! You owe me a keyboard hahahah

Archived