Barkley running his mouth again

AURex

It appears that Charles Barkley has got diarrhea of the mouth again. This time he's talking about taking money from agents (up to $20,000 per year) and how the coaches discouraged him from taking some courses because they were worried he might not do well enough in them to remain eligible.

In recent years, I've become more and more disgusted with Barkley. He talks without thinking and he does a lot of damage to the image of Auburn. Basically, although he was a great baller, he's a disgrace as a human being, with zero integrity and no appreciation for anyone or anything but his own ego.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/charles_barkley_i_got_cash_fro.html#incart_m-rpt-2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that Charles Barkley has got diarrhea of the mouth again. This time he's talking about taking money from agents (up to $20,000 per year) and how the coaches discouraged him from taking some courses because they were worried he might not do well enough in them to remain eligible.

In recent years, I've become more and more disgusted with Barkley. He talks without thinking and he does a lot of damage to the image of Auburn. Basically, although he was a great baller, he's a disgrace as a human being, with zero integrity and no appreciation for anyone or anything but his own ego.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/charles_barkley_i_got_cash_fro.html#incart_m-rpt-2

If he's telling the truth how does that translate into not having integrity?

Directing players in the right coarses and keeping them successful is the job of the academic support staff, every school all the way down to Division 3 does this since there has been scholarship limits(for divisions that can offer). Charles is honest and is speaking about how things were as a whole when he went to school, it was common place when he was in school.

He is just trying to stay in the limelight. He is afraid the world will forget who he WAS. Too me, he is no more. He just wants attention in my opinion, and the media just loves to give him what he wants.

He is just trying to stay in the limelight. He is afraid the world will forget who he WAS. Too me, he is no more. He just wants attention in my opinion, and the media just loves to give him what he wants.

I think that's a big part of it. He occasionally like to bite the AU hand that fed him and gave him his NBA career....

Hey, it was 30 years ago....who cares now except the bammers?

As for whether this admission is some kind of demonstration of integrity....kinda like telling your wife you cheated on her 30 years ago. Why would you do something like that except to cause hurt? And who benefits from this confession? The answer here is NO ONE. So why would he say something that is certain to cause angst among people at a school he professes to love ? In Charles's case...it's because he is terminally stupid and narcissistic to boot. JMO

I have no problem with what he said, and why he said it. He claims that money kept him in school and would keep others in school if they didn't have to worry about money. He didn't just come out and announce he took money to just announce it. It was in the context of the point he was trying to make.

I don't think Barkley was a $20,000 a year man while he was at Auburn. He was good, but he didn't really blossom until all that NBA money inspired him to lose 60 pounds.

He jus' be BS'n, but it's not doing AU any favors.

PS: I was there on campus at the time. I clearly remember having a conversation with someone close to the situation. I was complaining about Barkley leaving early for the NBA and this guy's comment was it didn't matter, they'd placed him in every class he could pass and there was no more basket weaving available to him. He was going to flunk out anyway so he might as well go.

I don't think Barkley was a $20,000 a year man while he was at Auburn. He was good, but he didn't really blossom until all that NBA money inspired him to lose 60 pounds.

PS: I was there on campus at the time. I clearly remember having a conversation with someone close to the situation. I was complaining about Barkley leaving early for the NBA and this guy's comment was it didn't matter, they'd placed him in every class he could pass and there was no more basket weaving available to him. He was going to flunk out anyway so he might as well go.

Now this makes more sense than anything I have ever heard or read on Barkley!

30 year old news, and bear Bryant really did get Georgia's plays from Wally butts 52 years ago.

Perhaps, but Auburn isn't getting bad mouthed over the Bryant-Butts affair.

So you mean it was true that Sonny wouldn't agree to let CB major in Engineering Physics or Architecture....the kind of courses he really wanted to take...forced him to take crap courses? :-\ Shame on Sonny.

I think that's a big part of it. He occasionally like to bite the AU hand that fed him and gave him his NBA career....

Are you serious? GAVE him?

this explains a lot. I was wondering when watching "Bo, Barkley, and the Big Hurt" how CB was able to afford 3 pizzas with the frequency they mentioned. now it makes more sense to me........

Auburn's rivals (which includes the Bama crowd at ESPN and all the UGAs and Updykes), have always accused Auburn of cheating. They have always accused Auburn of paying players. The impression is not limited to the Southeast. Many people around the country think of Auburn in the same way they think of Miami because of Auburn's long history of being on probation.

The circumstances surrounding Cam Newton fueled that widespread belief about Auburn. And Auburn has gained the new nickname "Second Chance U" and "Criminal U" as a disparaging, condescending label, because Auburn takes in players who have been arrested, thrown off their teams, and coaches caught cheating by the NCAA. The widespread belief remains, that Auburn continues to cheat, and is the home of thugs and cheaters, but just does a better job of hiding it than in the old days.

It is within that context that Barkley's comments arrive. His comments not only imply that Auburn looked the other way when he was taking money, but that Auburn actually intentionally limited his opportunity to get an education. In doing so, his comments validate cheating by announcing, I did it, the University knew about it and was okay with it.

Do his comments contribute anything positive to the world? They encourage cheating by other players everywhere (Barkley did it, so why shouldn't I?). They cast yet another log on the fire of negative opinion of Auburn University. And they contribute to the widespread perception of Barkley himself as an ungrateful, babbling clown. It's hard to see anything positive coming out of this, just more for the grist mill of hate aimed at Auburn.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you are right on all points......too bad IMO that we still have some fans who don't worry about such things

Yes I am. The college experience gives all students opportunities that they would not have otherwise. Why do you think people go to school? Athletes are no different.

If you think the basketball world was knocking on CB's door while he was in high school you are mistaken. He was overweight, on the shorter side, and mostly overlooked.

Do you think he would've gotten to the NBA without playing for a college team? His time at AU got him noticed, and Sonny was a good coach. Charles was not an easy kid to manage. His time at AU gave him an entrance to the NBA.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you are right on all points......too bad IMO that we still have some fans who don't worry about such things

Not breaking on you, but I would like to know what you mean by what some fans should be worrying about.

I'll hang up and listen.

Not breaking on you, but I would like to know what you mean by what some fans should be worrying about.

I'll hang up and listen.

I worry about guys like Reed for example.....but he's not the only one that has arrived at AU lately with a police docket. When the Reed commitment was announced there were wild cheers and almost no comments about why Maryland cut him loose.

Yes I am. The college experience gives all students opportunities that they would not have otherwise. Why do you think people go to school? Athletes are no different.

If you think the basketball world was knocking on CB's door while he was in high school you are mistaken. He was overweight, on the shorter side, and mostly overlooked.

Do you think he would've gotten to the NBA without playing for a college team? His time at AU got him noticed, and Sonny was a good coach. Charles was not an easy kid to manage. His time at AU gave him an entrance to the NBA.

I would argue that God given talent, not Auburn got him into the NBA. I would also add that, everyone I have ever known who met CB commented on what a genuine and nice person he seems to be.

Heck, I still like Chuck even though he does spout off from time to time. When most anyone thinks of AU basketball, they think of CB. Oh, and frankly, I don't doubt he took some $$ while here. Probably not $20K, but I could definitely see some bucks being thrown his way. It was a different time and era for all, let's not forget that. Doesn't matter anyway.

I'll hang up and listen.

I worry about guys like Reed for example.....but he's not the only one that has arrived at AU lately with a police docket. When the Reed commitment was announced there were wild cheers and almost no comments about why Maryland cut him loose.

I respect that and agree. I think once this year plays out, BP won't have to take risks. I think it's his late start and rebuild that made him take chances on some.

I thought you might have meant that we should be worried about what UA fans or ESPN say.

I'll hang up and listen.

I respect that and agree. I think once this year plays out, BP won't have to take risks. I think it's his late start and rebuild that made him take chances on some.

I thought you might have meant that we should be worried about what UA fans or ESPN say.

I never care what bammers or ESPN say.....but I'm hoping AU has standards of conduct and as I've noted numerous times, any ordinary HS grad with all A's and a police record would not get accepted.....just looking for some uniform standards.....which I know is a naive view...but one can hope....

I'll hang up and listen.

I never care what bammers or ESPN say.....but I'm hoping AU has standards of conduct and as I've noted numerous times, any ordinary HS grad with all A's and a police record would not get accepted.....just looking for some uniform standards.....which I know is a naive view...but one can hope....

I agree completely, but there's too much money in big time FB and BB now. Sometimes taking a chance on a reclamation project works, sometimes it doesn't.

Archived