Complete the class

mcgufcm

This is just a thought exercise I do sometimes, but I'd love to hear what other people think. The idea is: if you could complete the class with any recruits that we have a solid/decent chance of landing, who would you take?

Personally, I would prioritize holding onto all current comments and add the following:

Ivey (OT)

Godwin (WR/DB)

Payne (DT)

Norton (DT)

Holland (LB)

Slayton (CB)

Those would be my guys. Some are longer shots than others, but all of them are top targets and have visited Auburn (and, I believe, most already have plans to visit again). A big part of that would be hanging onto Darrell Williams, and I believe Ian Shannon is enrolling in 2016 (that's why I have six guys listed above).

Thoughts?

My completely optimistic looking through orange & blue glasses prediction is the following...

OT Martez Ivey

LB Jeffrey Holland

ATH Terry Godwin

DE D'Andre Walker

DT Daron Payne

WR Christian Kirk

DE Marquavious Lewis

S Rashaud Roundtree

OG Javon Patterson

My list would be

WR Kirk Merritt

OT Martez Ivey

OG Javon Patterson

DE D'Andre Walker

DE Marquavius Lewis (South Carolina commit that may be in play if they pull the Gator tank as I predict)

DT Daron Payne

DT Kendrick Norton

LB Jeffery Hollana

Also. CB Darius Slayton is no longer a top target. We are done at CB unless we lose Tony Bridges. Only then, slayton may become a target again.

We still have eight slots to reach the max of 28. Shannon will count back on the '15 class even if he enrolls later, so that's how we have eight. Of course we don't have to fill all eight slots but filling six would be nice.

We are in desperate need of at least one each DT, DE and LB and that's if nobody flips and all commits look like qualifiers. Another OL and another WR wouldn't hurt either.

Looking around, I simply don't see enough top guys that we are in on at those defensive positions. We'll probably get the needed offensive guys, we have some to work with there.

We still have eight slots to reach the max of 28. Shannon will count back on the '15 class even if he enrolls later, so that's how we have eight. Of course we don't have to fill all eight slots but filling six would be nice.

We are in desperate need of at least one each DT, DE and LB and that's if nobody flips and all commits look like qualifiers. Another OL and another WR wouldn't hurt either.

Looking around, I simply don't see enough top guys that we are in on at those defensive positions. We'll probably get the needed offensive guys, we have some to work with there.

Still too early to throw in the towel on DT & DE recruiting. New names are going to start to pop up. If we lose Williams to uat I believe AU will make a huge push for R. Smith. IMO.

AU is going to sign another OL & WR. And both will be 4* or better. IMO.

LB? :big:

E, I'm aware that Slayton isn't a priority or possibly even a take. I'm saying, if I were to fill out the class, he'd be on my list. I've seen some film on him, and I love his size. I'd add that guy in an instant.

E, I'm aware that Slayton isn't a priority or possibly even a take. I'm saying, if I were to fill out the class, he'd be on my list. I've seen some film on him, and I love his size. I'd add that guy in an instant.

Ok. To be fair, in your OP you said the guys on your list were top targets.. That's why I replied and clarrified on Slayton so nobody was confused on him.

It was between us and South Carolina for M. Lewis before.. do you think SC's struggles especially defensively could help us land him after all?

In a best case scenario of them tanking like Florida and Spurrier subsequently reigning yes. Without those things, probably not.

If you're doing a "dream list", I'm not sure how you fill the class without adding at least one pure pass-rushing DE which is something we desperately need moving forward.

Fair enough. I'm not sure I see it as much of a pressing need as others. Lawson will be back next year. From everything I've heard, Kennion and Thornton are going to be solid rush ends, they just need to mature physically. Add Daniel and Williams to the DE rotation, and I don't see the rush end spot as a "we have to fill it with an immediate impact guy this year" position. We certainly haven't prioritized it the way we prioritized LB/Star.

WR - Kirk Merritt

OL - Martez Ivey

OL - Darryl Williams

DT - Maurice Swain

DT - Kendrick Norton

DE - D'Andre Walker

DE - Johnathan Calvin

LB - Jeffery Holland

27 commits minus DW

I think Darrell Williams will flip and AU will be done with two LB. Jovon Robinson and Tony Bridges are most likely sign with Auburn in December. If not, watch out for Eric Swinney and Darius Slayton.

If you're doing a "dream list", I'm not sure how you fill the class without adding at least one pure pass-rushing DE which is something we desperately need moving forward.

Mikey only dreams of LBs. So perhaps it's relative to the dreamer.

He wasn't referring to my list, which does include a DE.

I'll go with:

OL: M. Ivey

OL: J. Patterson

DE: D. Walker

LB: J. Holland

LB: R. Smith

DT: D. Payne

DE: B. Cowart

DT: M. Swain

If we hang on to our current LB core drop Smith (which is doubtful anyway) and put the pressure on another DT. We need some beef up front to help our run defense.

He wasn't referring to my list, which does include a DE.

Yeah, I was just teasing.

Here's my 'dream' list:

ATH - Terrry Godwin

WR - Kirk Merritt

OL - Martez Ivey

DT - Trent Thompson

DT - Daron Payne

DE - D'Andre Walker

LB - Ro Smith

Fair enough. I'm not sure I see it as much of a pressing need as others. Lawson will be back next year. From everything I've heard, Kennion and Thornton are going to be solid rush ends, they just need to mature physically. Add Daniel and Williams to the DE rotation, and I don't see the rush end spot as a "we have to fill it with an immediate impact guy this year" position. We certainly haven't prioritized it the way we prioritized LB/Star.

If Lawson is as good as advertised, it's possible that next year is his last. I have to imagine that if Daniel had "stud rush DE" in him, he'd be filling that role right now, because nobody else is (we might have "good", but not "stud"). ellitor says that Williams might be moving inside. Kennion and Thornton have a long way to go, and we need better than "solid".

We *might* be okay, but I feel a *lot* better about almost every position on the field than I do about the defensive front 7.

Interesting. I feel better about the DE spot than I do about LB or CB. Rush End is a position a RS Fr or tFr can fill. Groves did it. Gunn did it. Coleman did it. Heck, Ford did it at 190. I just rarely think it's that much of an issue. There are more ways to get pressure than speed on the edge. We have dudes that can break down a pocket inside out, and we can shift Cass on pass downs if we shore up LB.

You guys think rushing the passer is an issue if you go left to right with Lawson, Adams, Daniel, and McKinzy on an obvious pass down? I think it's a position of need, but in this class, from my view, it's not a make or break spot.

Here is my guess, maybe better said as my wish list.

ATH - Terrry Godwin

WR - Kirk Merritt

OL - Martez Ivey

LB - Jeffery Holland

DT - Daron Payne

DE - D'Andre Walker

You guys think rushing the passer is an issue if you go left to right with Lawson, Adams, Daniel, and McKinzy on an obvious pass down?

Absolutely not, but it will be if we don't fill their shoes after they leave.

Archived