Spotlight on Kris Frost

StatTiger

Sometimes it only takes one player to blow a perfectly called play or alignment or for one player to make a great play to disrupt a perfectly called play. Kris Frost did not play well against Arkansas but rebounded with a very strong performance against San Jose State. His play on a San Jose State "double-screen" play, was one of the better defensive plays of the game. It was a prime example of one player disrupting a play that was designed to catch the defense out of position.

The Play...

SJS-KrisFrost_zps8f8e5838.jpg

On this play San Jose State will run a double-screen pass, with the ball at their own 38-yard line. The Spartans come out in a 5-WR and empty backfield. At the snap, the Spartan quarterback fakes the screen pass to the wide-side of the field, to set up the actual play to the boundary side. Kris Frost recognizes the double-screen before the ball leaves the quarterback's hand.

Not only does he recognize the boundary side-screen, he takes a great angle to make a play on the WR. Frost is quick and athletic enough to split the two OL setting up to wall off the play. Kris Frost buries the WR for no gain, preventing what would have likely been a substantial gain. This was a great example of recognition and reaction to stop the play cold.

Frost reminds me of Carlos Dansby and IMO he could make it at the next level in a very big way if he can just consistently play like last week, like he did in College Station last season, etc.

These are the kind of individual plays we were missing for several years on defense. On an obscure note, I remember a game we had with Arkansas (I think in the Tub years) where I think an Auburn O-lineman was on top of an Arkansas linebacker, but the linebacker reached his hand out and caught our RB by the foot. That has always symbolized for me what separates great defenses from mediocre defenses... that one guy making a play by the tips of his fingers. During the Chiz years, it always seemed our guys were inches away from making the play.

These are the kind of individual plays we were missing for several years on defense. On an obscure note, I remember a game we had with Arkansas (I think in the Tub years) where I think an Auburn O-lineman was on top of an Arkansas linebacker, but the linebacker reached his hand out and caught our RB by the foot. That has always symbolized for me what separates great defenses from mediocre defenses... that one guy making a play by the tips of his fingers. During the Chiz years, it always seemed our guys were inches away from making the play.

more like feet

This year there are guys right at the play and missing the tackles. I hope game speed will clean up the missed tackles a bit but College football as a whole has had issues with form tackling for years.

This year there are guys right at the play and missing the tackles. I hope game speed will clean up the missed tackles a bit but College football as a whole has had issues with form tackling for years.

Yep. The Will Muschamp school of defense (in shape, fast, constantly fired up, all or nothing, reckless...but fundamentally sloppy) has been increasingly in vogue.

Yep. The Will Muschamp school of defense (in shape, fast, constantly fired up, all or nothing, reckless...but fundamentally sloppy) has been increasingly in vogue.

With the marketing and the highlights featuring those type of plays, it's no wonder. People looked at the NFL and saw what got the most attention and started emulating that. There has been an effort in the last couple of years to correct that and teach proper technique. I'll give the NFL guys credit for getting it started and working with the young kids, getting them started on the right path.

Frost reminds me of Carlos Dansby and IMO he could make it at the next level in a very big way if he can just consistently play like last week, like he did in College Station last season, etc.

I don't know if it's accurate or not but I saw on CBS that he's the #1 rated OLB for 2016.

I don't know if it's accurate or not but I saw on CBS that he's the #1 rated OLB for 2016.

He will have to be more physical in hitting and fighting off blocks before I dare insult Carlos with a comparison at the moment.

Archived