Spotlight on Cameron Artis-Payne

StatTiger

One of the question marks about the 2014 Auburn offense before the season began was the replacement of Tre Mason. Because of his experience and production, Cameron Artis-Payne was the obvious choice to become Auburn's "every down" back. So far through 2 games, CAP has made the most of his opportunity. He currently is the No. 2 rusher in the conference, averaging 144.5 yards per game. Though his style is different from Tre Mason, Artis-Payne has his own strong attributes as a running back. He has great vision, terrific lateral movement and strength to be a consistent performer and one of Auburn's impact players on offense.

The play...

SJS-CAP31run_zps78a8d211.jpg

His 31-yard run against San Jose State was a great example of his abilities to be a major play-maker for the Auburn offense. During this play Auburn faces a 2nd &10 from the Spartan 32-yard line. Auburn will run a draw play with Cameron Artis-Payne. After taking the delayed hand off from Nick Marshall, CAP steps in towards the "B" gap.

The step inside draws the OLB into the inside running lane. CAP bounces the play outside towards the side line and up the field. At the 20-yard line, CAP is met by the safety but he makes another hard cut, avoiding solid contact from the defender. He continues down the sideline, where he powers through 2 defenders inside the 5-yard line to make it to the 1-yard line. CAP scores on the touchdown on the very next snap.

CAP has averaged 6.88 yards per rush during his first 2 games compared to the 5.93 averaged by Tre Mason during the first 2 games of the 2013 season.

I'm very impressed with CAP's improvement from last year to now. Last year he seemed more a "fullback" to me as he either sought out contact or watching him make a cut was kinda like watching a captain turn a battleship. This year, he's really got the quick twitch muscles working and he's made some pretty good dime cuts. He has become a well rounded running back now with both power and speed. He should have a phenomenal year!

Look at Shon Coleman on that run. He intercepts his guy in a pass blocking stance at around the 33 yard line (frame 2). By the time Cam goes around the end, Shon has driven his man back a good four yards (frame 3 inset).

I'm very impressed with CAP's improvement from last year to now. Last year he seemed more a "fullback" to me as he either sought out contact or watching him make a cut was kinda like watching a captain turn a battleship.

Not to be petty, but check the 4:41 mark.

I'm very impressed with CAP's improvement from last year to now. Last year he seemed more a "fullback" to me as he either sought out contact or watching him make a cut was kinda like watching a captain turn a battleship.

No, I don't take it as petty. I agree, those are EXCELLENT cuts on that run. Just going by memory of last year, he also had runs where he looked like a kid doing the horsey gallop as he was cutting in the open field. I know they've made reference to his weight loss and he's trying to be quicker and to my untrained eyes, so far this season his cuts have all appeared crisp and his open field change of direction looks like that of a lighter tailback. Just saying his hard work appears to have paid off...to ME anyway.

No, I don't take it as petty. I agree, those are EXCELLENT cuts on that run. Just going by memory of last year, he also had runs where he looked like a kid doing the horsey gallop as he was cutting in the open field. I know they've made reference to his weight loss and he's trying to be quicker and to my untrained eyes, so far this season his cuts have all appeared crisp and his open field change of direction looks like that of a lighter tailback. Just saying his hard work appears to have paid off...to ME anyway.

I also felt like Mason was better at finding the open lanes, but CAP seems to be doing great so far this year. Grant too.

Gotcha, and agreed. He's performing all facets of his job extremely well this season (there was the one fumble, but it wasn't particularly egregious IMO). And- perhaps to your point- that particular run from the SECCG is the only one I can remember from last year.

I campaigned for Corey quite a bit over the offseason and hope that he continues to get work between the tackles, but I certainly can't argue that anybody should be taking carries from CAP right now. Right running back, right offense, right time.

Gotcha, and agreed. He's performing all facets of his job extremely well this season (there was the one fumble, but it wasn't particularly egregious IMO). And- perhaps to your point- that particular run from the SECCG is the only one I can remember from last year.

I campaigned for Corey quite a bit over the offseason and hope that he continues to get work between the tackles, but I certainly can't argue that anybody should be taking carries from CAP right now. Right running back, right offense, right time.

I'm with you on Corey. AU has the "embarrassment of riches" in pretty much all positions on offense right now. Corey does look a little beefier too, I believe. It may be sacrelig to say this but his body type reminds me of #4 for uat (but with much more speed). I can see Corey winning some head to head battles with LB's inside for sure!

I also felt like Mason was better at finding the open lanes, but CAP seems to be doing great so far this year. Grant too.

I think you're exactly right. I believe Tre eventually won the job due to that very reason. Both were fast, both were tough, but Tre definitely had those instincts to the hole. This year, so far, CAP though appears to have learned well!

I think you're exactly right. I believe Tre eventually won the job due to that very reason. Both were fast, both were tough, but Tre definitely had those instincts to the hole. This year, so far, CAP though appears to have learned well!

Watching LeSean McCoy last night, I had visions of Tre.

Believe me it is great to see CAP doing well and I will take nothing away from him, but if you look at Corey he has had even better runs, just less opportunities. He has run inside and outside and over a few folks already. Corey is in the top 7 or so RBs in the SEC YPG wise, and probably over all of them in YPC. His YAC are also high, just like CAP's. Lets not forget we have two talented backs. I would not be surprised to see Gus turn Corey lose, maybe even Thursday night. Big difference in Corey is he is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball. And if that isn't enough, throw in Marshall, and two more RBs waiting in the wind. WDE

Believe me it is great to see CAP doing well and I will take nothing away from him, but if you look at Corey he has had even better runs, just less opportunities. He has run inside and outside and over a few folks already. Corey is in the top 7 or so RBs in the SEC YPG wise, and probably over all of them in YPC. His YAC are also high, just like CAP's. Lets not forget we have two talented backs. I would not be surprised to see Gus turn Corey lose, maybe even Thursday night. Big difference in Corey is he is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball. And if that isn't enough, throw in Marshall, and two more RBs waiting in the wind. WDE

It's a nice problem to have.

you asked, he answered....spotlight-on-corey-grant

Archived