Auburn's Under Armour Apparel Deal

RunInRed

As a refresher, Auburn last renewed their apparel contract with Under Armour in 2010 at a reported value of $27.45M over 7 years (~$3.9M/yr).

auburn_national_championship_uniforms.jpg

27307.jpg

27308.jpg

I mention this because this week we learned the value of Notre Dame's new Under Armour deal: $90M over 10 years (~$9M/yr).

Under Armour will provide uniforms, footwear and apparel for all 26 of the university’s varsity teams for 10 years — and pay handsomely for the privilege. The figure has been reported as $90 million, including cash, stock and merchandise, but Athletics Director Jack Swarbrick says it is higher. (Under Armour and Notre Dame, a private university, declined to be more specific.)

image.png

image.png

image.png

So, is it time to renegotiate Auburn's deal? Is any one in the Athletics Department even paying attention?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Notre Damn really have that much exposure. I don't hate them but I hate tgmhat they take up a channel every Saturday and rarely have an interesting game. I never watch. I have never understood the following they have.

As much as we like to think it is so, Auburn does not have the national following that ND has. They have a fan base that far exceeds any other school.

3X that of Auburn's?

As much as we like to think it is so, Auburn does not have the national following that ND has. They have a fan base that far exceeds any other school.

3X that of Auburn's?

I don't know the exact numbers but they played UCF in Ireland last year before a crowd of 53,000. I believe that they had between 35-40,000 fans travel from the U.S. for that game. That tells me a lot.

Does Notre Damn really have that much exposure. I don't hate them but I hate tgmhat they take up a channel every Saturday and rarely have an interesting game. I never watch. I have never understood the following they have.

Well NBC never would have made that deal if they were not going to be able to make a profit off it.

They have a large national fan base and reputation moslty based on being a catholic school and associating with "Irish". Even though their glory days are long gone that fan base is still mostly there. UA is paying to gain access to that fan base that will snap up all those UA Norte Dame jerseys. Being added to the ACC helped too.

It would be nice if the fan apparel didn't cost an a and a leg per each piece of garb. A $30+ t shirt is absolutely unreasonable.

You are paying the sports tax. Its a monopoly design by pretty much the whole of sporting apparel.

So Nike, Adidas, etc. all cost the same for a simple shirt with a logo on it?

It would be nice if the fan apparel didn't cost an a and a leg per each piece of garb. A $30+ t shirt is absolutely unreasonable.

You are paying the sports tax. Its a monopoly design by pretty much the whole of sporting apparel.

Pretty much paying for a company logo on your team t-shirt. A UK Nike cotton t- shirt cost about 25 dollars

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Kentucky_Wildcats_T-Shirts/Nike_Kentucky_Wildcats_Logo_Cotton_T-Shirt_-_Royal_Blue

An auburn under armour t-shirt costs 29, but it is not cotton.

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Auburn_Tigers_T-Shirts/Auburn_Tigers_Under_Armour_2014_On-Field_Football_Sideline_Tech_Performance_T-Shirt_%E2%80%93_Navy_Blue

Pretty much paying for a company logo on your team t-shirt. A UK Nike cotton t- shirt cost about 25 dollars

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Kentucky_Wildcats_T-Shirts/Nike_Kentucky_Wildcats_Logo_Cotton_T-Shirt_-_Royal_Blue

An auburn under armour t-shirt costs 29, but it is not cotton.

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Auburn_Tigers_T-Shirts/Auburn_Tigers_Under_Armour_2014_On-Field_Football_Sideline_Tech_Performance_T-Shirt_%E2%80%93_Navy_Blue

Interesting.

Think of it as paying $20 for the t-shirt and donating $10 to AU Athletics. Where do you think that $27M is coming from?

I wish we would renegotiate and look at Nike too. It's been a long time since I played sports but from what I have heard Under Armour is considered to be behind Nike esp. In shoes. UA shoes have been slammed for a while. Plus, Nike seems to own Basketball camps.

I wish we would renegotiate and look at Nike too. It's been a long time since I played sports but from what I have heard Under Armour is considered to be behind Nike esp. In shoes. UA shoes have been slammed for a while. Plus, Nike seems to own Basketball camps.

Not affecting our basketball recruiting currently.

Nike equipment> Under Armour equipment

Nike shoes>>>>>>>>>>>>> Under Armour shoes

3X that of Auburn's?

yes

Auburn would not be able to have a game succeed in Dublin

No way Nike will pay AU more than UA will and that's what it's all about IMO. This partnership isn't going away.

Nike is the big dog in this business. They would take Auburn but they will do it on their terms or not at all.

Archived