Spotlight on Corey Grant

StatTiger

Corey Grant has become more of an intricate part of the offense this season and he is making the most of his opportunity. Of course this has always been the case for Grant, who has proven to be dedicated on and off the field. Though he has only 95 career carries, Grant has made the most of them, averaging a whopping 8.97 yards per rush. This includes an average of 9.57 yards per carry in Gus Malzahn's offense. Of his 95 career rush attempts, 38.9% have resulted in a first down and 31.6% have been gains of 10-yards or more. This season he has proven to be a solid performer running between the tackles.

The play...

SJS-Grant18run_zps6ac42b36.jpg

On this play Auburn has a 1st & 10 from their own 40-yard line. Auburn comes out in a 4-WR set. The 4-WR set includes "trips" to the wide side. Because Auburn runs the ball 76% of the time on first down, the San Jose State has 8 defenders aligned to the boundary side. This opens up the wide side of the field for a perimeter sweep.

At the snap Nick Marshall recognizes the LB's over top are playing the inside keep by the quarterback so he hands off to Corey Grant. Marcus Davis does a great job sealing the OLB as long as he can as D'haquille Williams walls off the safety to create a running lane on the edge for Corey Grant.

It doesn't take long for Grant to the turn corner and sprint up field for an 18-yard gain and an Auburn first down. Grant is currently averaging 88-yards per game on 8.8 yards per rush. He is on pace for a 1000-yard season and is Auburn's No. 4 player in generating impact plays on offense.

I know this is about Grant but one thing I've noticed this year is the downfield blocking by the wideouts. There is a sense of just complete unselfishness on this team. Everybody is willing to do anything necessary to succeed.

I know this is about Grant but one thing I've noticed this year is the downfield blocking by the wideouts. There is a sense of just complete unselfishness on this team. Everybody is willing to do anything necessary to succeed.

It's been that way every season that Gus has been at Auburn. That's why it infuriates me when people degrade players like Trovon Reed. Blocking by the WRs is vital to the success of this offense, and those guys do an awesome and mostly thankless job (despite getting as few as 9 pass attempts in a game to divvy up among them).

Archived