American War Generals

AUUSN

Just wanted to put out that NatGeo will air a two hour program tonight. Here's the info:

"Vietnam. The Cold War. Desert Storm. The Iraq War. The Afghan War. This weekend, National Geographic Channel gathers 11 active and retired U.S. Army generals for American War Generals, a first-of-its-kind look back at a half century of America’s military battles told by the men that led them.

The film, premiering Sunday, September 14 at 8P, unveils the complex world of conflict strategy and decision making from our most renowned four-star generals. With unique inside access to America’s most elite military leadership, viewers will be given a new, intimate perspective on foreign policy and our modern military.

American War Generals reveals many never-before-heard stories and opinions from the legendary leaders of the modern U.S. Army. Their accounts will take us through the big changes that have transformed the U.S. military from the first troops to enter Vietnam to the last combat troops to exit Afghanistan, explaining the critical personal experiences that shaped their lives and the way they approached modern warfare."

http://tvblogs.natio...mieres-tonight/

I hope it is an honest assessment and not political theatre based on their own failures.

It would be interesting to see the experience of current Generals and Admirals to see why Obama had to call in a retired Marine general to lead the "war" against ISIS.

I think the program was pretty honest....even if some disagree. The details about Iraq and Vietnam were spot on. Bush supporters might not like what they saw, but it's the truth. Rumsfeld was a disaster and the decision to go to Iraq AND the failures at Tora Bora provide an honest look at the mistakes made by GWB and his administration. It also briefly highlighted the challenges with ISIS and the failure of Bremmer in Bagdad.

I think the program was pretty honest....even if some disagree. The details about Iraq and Vietnam were spot on. Bush supporters might not like what they saw, but it's the truth. Rumsfeld was a disaster and the decision to go to Iraq AND the failures at Tora Bora provide an honest look at the mistakes made by GWB and his administration. It also briefly highlighted the challenges with ISIS and the failure of Bremmer in Bagdad.

I completely agree. They went a little easy on General Casey IMO. I thought his actions prolonged the war. The biggest takeaway is we can't fight a current war based on the last one. We have to quickly identify the fight and train the force to meet the threat. Much easier said than done which is why we keep screwing it up and continue to do so in our current battle with ISIS.

I completely agree. They went a little easy on General Casey IMO. I thought his actions prolonged the war. The biggest takeaway is we can't fight a current war based on the last one. We have to quickly identify the fight and train the force to meet the threat. Much easier said than done which is why we keep screwing it up and continue to do so in our current battle with ISIS.

That, and the problem we will face when Muslims in Iraq have to fight ISIS. One of the things people may not understand (media, where have you been on this?) is that when a Muslim kills another Muslim they are supposed to pay the deceased family "blood money" for taking that persons life. It's part of their doctrine with Islam (which comes to about $2,000 U.S. dollars). Iraqis being trained by US personnel told the trainers this all them time. Their doctrine is so different than what we have it's hard to believe we would be able to deal with ISIS without boots on the ground but I'm open to massive air strikes to see how much we can cripple them. The Kurds will take the fight to them without prejudice, but the Iraqis may be a harder bargain.

I did not see the entire broadcast, but the parts I did appeared very accurate.

That, and the problem we will face when Muslims in Iraq have to fight ISIS. One of the things people may not understand (media, where have you been on this?) is that when a Muslim kills another Muslim they are supposed to pay the deceased family "blood money" for taking that persons life. It's part of their doctrine with Islam (which comes to about $2,000 U.S. dollars). Iraqis being trained by US personnel told the trainers this all them time. Their doctrine is so different than what we have it's hard to believe we would be able to deal with ISIS without boots on the ground but I'm open to massive air strikes to see how much we can cripple them. The Kurds will take the fight to them without prejudice, but the Iraqis may be a harder bargain.

This illustrates why you can't separate ISIS, Hezbollah and others from Islam. Frankly these attitudes concerning Sharia law and getting rid of Christians and jews is the main tenet of islam and is followed and supported by the majority of muslims around the world.

Archived