Week 4 (Auburn vs. Kansas State) - Weekly Presser

RunInRed

A Thursday game means Tuesday's Weekly Presser is on Monday ...

HC Gus Malzahn

Phillip Marshall/247Sports (via YouTube)

Malzahn says the K-State game will be a good measuring stick: "It'll be good to see where we're at as a team this year."

Malzahn: "They have a scrappy defense that doesn't give up a lot of big plays, so that's a big thing. … Controlling the tempo will be big."

Malzahn confirms WR Sammie Coates returned to practice on Sunday, is expected to play Thursday at Kansas State.

Malzahn: "In our players mind it's really a Wednesday today. You just try your best to keep it as routine as possible for your players."

Malzahn on KSU comparisons: "They are similar in some areas, … they run some of the same plays that we do so hopefully that'll help too."

Malzahn on recruiting Marshall: "You knew he was a very good QB in high school. The fact that he fits what we looked for as a quarterback."

Malzahn: "Our expectations are high. … Execution wise our goals are to get better each week." Still seeking Auburn to be more efficient.

Malzahn on being a CBS analyst on Saturday: "It was a little different. It was different being behind the scenes. I enjoyed it."

Malzahn on the SEC West: "It's the best division in college football and I don't think it's close."

Malzahn on dealing with the weather delay during the CBS telecast: "Yeah I was getting a little antsy there. I was watching the clock."

@AUBlog

Malzahn now here. "We've got a big test on the road against a top-20 team." Notes how balanced K-State is offensively.

Malzahn: "What really stands out to me is they only have one turnover this year, so they do a really good job protecting the football."

@wareagleextra

Malzahn points out that Kansas State has historically been very good against the run.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Malzahn on KSU QB Jake Waters: "He's like another running back...but he's also really good at throwing it. He's a cool customer, too."

Malzahn said starting linebackers Cassanova McKinzy and Kris Frost will be a big factor against stopping KSU's strong run game this week.

@JFergusonAU

Malzahn: "Overall, I'm pleased with our first two games, but we got to get better."

@JamesCrepea

Auburn will have a walk-through at Kansas State's stadium on Wednesday before Thursday's 6:30 p.m. game

@AUGoldMine

Lack of respect at Auburn? 'Nobody talked about us last year, either,' says Gus Malzahn

@bmarcello

Player interviews ...

WR Melvin Ray

Auburn WR Melvin Ray on Nick Marshall: "He's focused. Nick is Nick. One thing is he comes to work. … Nick's ready."

@AUBlog

Melvin Ray says he's gone up against UGA transfer Tray Matthews in practice and gave him a hard time early on. "We don't tip balls here."

@wareagleextra

LB Kris Frost

"I love playing away games just as much as home games ... I love seeing different places."

Frost on being back at weakside linebacker: "This is the most comfortable I've felt playing football."

@JFergusonAU

Thanks Red!

Enjoying Gus's tortured genius/Napolean Dynamite/TJ Maxx sale rack striped shirt. Button the top button coach.

HAHA!!! He must have taken a few hours for himself and hit the golf course and then come straight to the media conference...

Nope, that's the only shirt he could find in the dark when he got up at 3:45 to start his day. He didn't want to wake Kristi, he's good like that. :)

Enjoyed hearing from both Melvin and Kris. Both guys are intelligent and know their football! I love their attitude and focus.

Nope, that's the only shirt he could find in the dark when he got up at 3:45 to start his day. He didn't want to wake Kristi, he's good like that. :)

So you're saying he slept in and was rushing more than usual? :tease:

So you're saying he slept in and was rushing more than usual? :tease:

^^^ Post of the week nominee!

Well played, Red. :bow:

Archived