Kansas State Game Report card

StatTiger

Game #3 Statistical Evaluation (Kansas State) 2014

Offensive Report Card

1) Average 6-yards per play on 1st down: 4.61 (fail)

2) Convert at least 40 pct of 3rd downs: 55.6% pct (pass)

3) Average at least 4.5 yards per rush: 2.84 YPC (fail)

4) Score on 1/3 of your offensive possessions: 36.4% (pass)

5) Keep "3 and out" series under 33%: 9.1% (pass)

6) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: 7.45 (fail)

7) Score above 75% in red zone: 100.0% (pass)

8) TD Red Zone above 60%: 33.3% (fail)

9) Average 30-yards per possession: 32.6 YPP (pass)

10) 40% of offensive snaps being part of a scoring drive: 50.0% (pass)

11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: 2 TD / 1 turnovers (pass)

12) TD ratio of 1 every 17 plays: 38.0 (fail)

13) 8 impact plays: 5 (fail)

14) at least 2 big plays: 2 (pass)

15) Pass rating above 125.0: 132.3 (pass)

Score: 9 of 15 (60.0%) Pass

*Auburn's pass-offense saved the game during the second half.

Defensive Report Card

1) Average under 6-yards per play on 1st down: 2.60 (pass)

2) Convert below 35-pct of 3rd downs: 57.1% (fail)

3) Average below 4.0 yards per rush: 1.33 YPC (pass)

4) Score below 1/3 of their possessions: 18.2% (pass)

5) Keep "3 and out" series above 33%: 27.3% (fail)

6) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: 6.13 YPA (pass)

7) Score below 75% in red zone: 40.0% (pass)

8) TD Red Zone Pct below 60%: 40.0% (pass)

9) Average under 30-yards per possession: 25.9 YPP (pass)

10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps being part of a scoring drive: 24.3% (pass)

11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: 2 TD / 3 turnover (pass)

12) TD ratio of 1 every 30 plays: 35.0 (pass)

13) Less than 8 impact plays allowed: 4 (pass)

14) No more than 2 big play allowed: 0 allowed (pass)

15) Pass rating below 125.0 allowed: 101.5 (pass)

*Except for a lack of pass-rush without blitzing, Auburn' s defense played very well. They dominated on first down and gave up only 4 impact plays and zero explosive plays. They also added 3 turnovers and were tough in the redzone once again.

• Score: 13 of 15 (86.7%) Pass

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): 39.3 (fail) None inside the 20

2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): 23.7 (fail)

3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): 0.0 (fail)

4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): 23.0 (fail)

5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): 0.0 (fail)

6) PAT’s (100%): 2 of 2 (pass)

7) FG Pct (75% or above): 100.0% (pass)

Score: 2 of 7 (71.4%) Fail

• Remember the key is to pass 50.0% of the categories.

War Eagle!

Poor special team last night.

We really must have improved our 3rd down efficiency in the second half because I think we were 0'fer on 3rd downs in hte first half.

Special teams had the worst night I can remember from an AU team....could not cover the punts, one KO out of bounds and a short kick-off that was returned near the 40. KSU had good starting field position most of the night.

AU did not do much on special teams offense....lots of work to do.

It's hard to imagine the offense and special teams playing a worse game than last night. They survived. Now they have to make sure they get back to playing at or near the top of their game from here on. Won't be able to get away with that against the SEC schedule.

Special teams had the worst night I can remember from an AU team....could not cover the punts, one KO out of bounds and a short kick-off that was returned near the 40. KSU had good starting field position most of the night.

AU did not do much on special teams offense....lots of work to do.

Hard to cover punts when the refs miss blatant block in the backs, but seriously the return yardage lands on the punter, he has to get more hang time.

11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: 2 TD / 1 turnovers (fail)

Am I misunderstanding something? Isn't 2/1 = 2.0, greater than 1.6? Personally, I think a ratio of 1.6 is setting the bar a little low...seems like a lot of turnovers per TD to me.

(Although I'm guessing that I don't understand the category. Given the track record of the great and powerful Stat, I'd put money on it being my mistake, not his! :thumbsup: )

A win over #20, on the road, I should be enjoying my coffee more this morning. Can't remember ever having this bad a taste in my mouth after a quality win on the road. fyi, here are some numbers showing where our D stands in national rankings after Arky, San Jose State and a visit to KState. Some good, some not. I'm a total D/scoring D oriented guy so not discounting the other areas, I'm pretty happy about our D right now...and more than little surprised.

Coming up - the meat of our schedule:

Total D: 23d (!)

Rushing D: 18

Pass Yards allowed: 60th

Scoring D: 19th

3d down conversions % allowed: 71st

Red zone D: 13th

1st down D: 74th

And one I know will improve but is stunningly bad right now: "net punting" 95th.

It's been pointed out before, but I think this could be like the Mississippi State game of 2010. Both were hard fought games on the road which required great play by our defense while the offense struggled. Both games were played early in the season as well. I hope we get rolling much the same way after this game like we did that one.

keep in mind, though we joke about how weak the big 12 is, k state IS a quality opponent. furthermore, they see a lot of what we do daily in their own team. they are very similar to us. top that with home field advantage, their biggest stage of the year, and referees in their pocket, they gave us all the fight we wanted. every talking head saw this as a trap game. i'm relieved that we came out with the W.

keep in mind, though we joke about how weak the big 12 is, k state IS a quality opponent. furthermore, they see a lot of what we do daily in their own team. they are very similar to us. top that with home field advantage, their biggest stage of the year, and referees in their pocket, they gave us all the fight we wanted. every talking head saw this as a trap game. i'm relieved that we came out with the W.

I dont know about all that, they are as pro style as it is and their only real positional advantadge is fullback and Tyler Lockett (maybe Sexton too it seems)

The point that they dont face that much speed on offense and somehow still shut it down

DTR, you're wrong on their offense. Waters is a shotgun QB, and against Iowa State, they ran zone read 20 times. I don't think it explains our OL and H-Back getting manhandled at the point of attack (which is how they stopped our run game), but as a point of fact, they run a lot of stuff similar to us, especially in the run game.

Good news: I wanted to know if our defense was capable of winning a game for us. They are! Run D was great. Very few impact plays. Consistent throughout the game. 13 out of 15. I would call it a B+.

Bad News: In order for the D to be in position to win a game for us, that meant the O has to be subpar, which they were. Run game was really bad! Missed blocks, missed reads, bad angles, slips, fumbles, bad play calls, you name it and it happened! The passing game had it share of hiccups. Batted balls, drops, inaccurate throws, miscommunications. But at the end of the day, the passing game stepped up when we needed them to. Duke is a BEAST! (Even though he did drop a sure TD) 8 out of 15 is barely passing. I would say a D is an accurate grade.

Special Teams was bad! Our coverage units were really bad!!! Carlson was perfect on FG and Extra Points. That was the one bright spot there. 2 out of 7 = F. I think that is accurate as well.

Overall, the D is better. That's encouraging! The O will be fine. When your first road game is on a Thursday night halfway across the country in a hostile environment against a very good top 20 team who has had this game circled the entire offseason, to be out of sync is to be somewhat understandable. If anything, we know that the O is more balanced this year! That is encouraging!

We have 16 days to work out the issues on O, find a consistent pass rush, and improve special teams significantly for the LSU game with a tune up in the meantime.

Overall, I feel pretty good about where we are. This team will get better as the season progresses.

Archived