A play we haven't seen

caleb1633

The WR screen. This could help open up run lanes. Last night it seemed that KSU was simply crashing the O-Line and whatever running plays we're coming out of there. I know they aren't pretty but they're effective and spread the defense out away from the backfield. I hope we start seeing more.

That is typically a low pass on a 3 step drop. That would have been hard to pull off the way the KSU D line was knocking balls down. They can be extremely effective if executed well.

The threat of the play keeps defenses more spread out across the LOS though so they aren't crowding the box as much.

I did not like the play with jjon the field with Nick. I know people were talking about it last week.didn't work so well and was called at inopportune time

Me either. I couldn't figure out the purpose of JJ being on the field. If Gus has a failing, it's he sometimes outsmarts himself. We need some kind of mis-direction plays. Some kind of cross-buck running play or a reverse. The other night, the way KSU was selling out on the wide plays, a reverse could've gone to the house.

Wheel route has been MIA also I believe.

That's true! Some of our bread and butter has been MIA. I think we're trying to get too cute and throw the ball too much when we need to remember that our running game is what is gonna win us championships.

Have used the wheel route at least once in every game. Used it against KSU to Uzomah but it was incomplete.

This is just speculation that makes sense, but with Quan and Jeremy on the field I assume they were gonna eventually try a throwback pass. Its quite possible that's the play Jeremy got confused on and so they scrapped it. In a close game, you can easily mess up a reverse throw and end up giving 7 to the other team.

The WR Bubble Screen is a constraint play to complement the Read Option, and at the same time it can be implemented as an option off of the Read Option. The Bubble Screen can be used to beat a scraping ILB, as well as a CB. If the CB cheats inside to take the QB on a Read Option, the Bubble Screen can go for a good gain. Likewise, if the CB play soft, respecting WR vertical passing routes the Bubble Screen can go for a good gain.

It might have worked well against K-State given how they were crowding the box, but if their CBs were also playing close, it might not have worked. At that point you have to go elsewhere in your playbook.

What I saw K-State doing was the DE playing the QB forcing the RB hand-off in the Read Option and the MLB was spying the RB. K-State's DL was aggressive enough and our OL was not coming off their initial blocks and making it to the second level, nor was the MLB chasing the flow of the play or scraping to go after the QB.

This is why the slants to Duke were so effective. There was no LB support in the middle of the field because the Mike was focused on the RB.

Have used the wheel route at least once in every game. Used it against KSU to Uzomah but it was incomplete.

Oops, missed them then. I blame alcohol.

I don't know how well Corey Grant can catch the ball, but I don't feel like the coaches utitlize him enough in the passing game. There is no reason we should not be sending him out from the backfield straight down the field. He is the fastest guy on the team, and we should use him for more than the jet sweeps.

And also, where were the draw plays that we ran against Arkansas? We kept it so simple in the running game. Either a sweep or read option.

I don't know how well Corey Grant can catch the ball, but I don't feel like the coaches utitlize him enough in the passing game. There is no reason we should not be sending him out from the backfield straight down the field. He is the fastest guy on the team, and we should use him for more than the jet sweeps.

And also, where were the draw plays that we ran against Arkansas? We kept it so simple in the running game. Either a sweep or read option.

And I don't think the read option was called very often. Because the outside seemed wide open for NM to keep on most. Seemed like a lot of just handing off to the rb to me. I don't know if NM wasn't reading it right or they didn't want him running much in this game? Just seemed off sync.

Face it, we had an off night on offense, and from our coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. It happens. For all the articles I saw about how "calm, cool and collected" NM was at the end of the game, he was nervous as hell for the 1st half. He wasn't making crisp throws, he wasn't making good decisions on the Zone Read and Read Options plays, and when he decided to run, he was running east-west too much. He just seemed skittish. Luckily, we did just enough on offense to score points, and our defense stepped it up. Also, no one likes to blame the officials because it sounds weak, but that was the worst-called game I have ever witnessed. I've never seen so many holds in one game that were not called, nor so many blocks in the back. On a positive note, I liked what I saw from the young guys in the secondary, and also from Trovon Reed.

K-State also had a good game plan, and was ready to play. They should do well in the Big 12 this season. They have some play-makers on both sides of the ball.

Archived