Defensive Recruiting

Rednilla

There is no doubt we need to sign a great front 7 group every yr. We need two Monty's and 1 Lawson in this class and we are not close to being there. We also need 2 tre's and 1 Star. We need this every year.

we are not looking good right now for this coming recruiting season. It is not all on CRG as he does not recruit all areas but we need to step it up.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can't afford to wait until after the 2016 class to worry about our DL recruiting. If the 2015 and 2016 DL classes are subpar, our program will be seriously lacking. I'm not saying those classes will be subpar; however, I am saying if we are having this predicament in 2016, then 2016 will have to be as strong as our 2013 DL class. This is just my two cents on the state of our DL class.

What I meant was the 2016 class, not after it. As of now. We lead with 3 top DL targets in 2016 and are in the top 3 with another. If we don't land 3 of our top 5 for that class given the good shape we are in with those recruits right now then we cam worry long term.

the suggestion that RG has not had time to recruit because he's been busy coaching is disconcerting. Every coach has to do both.

It's not a suggestion. It's reality. The info on that comes from people close to the program including WDEWDE who as well all know has been very good on info. FWIW I asked Bryan Matthews about it while I was working at the game yesterday and he confirmed it as well. Garner to put current problems over future ones.

We can't afford to wait until after the 2016 class to worry about our DL recruiting. If the 2015 and 2016 DL classes are subpar, our program will be seriously lacking. I'm not saying those classes will be subpar; however, I am saying if we are having this predicament in 2016, then 2016 will have to be as strong as our 2013 DL class. This is just my two cents on the state of our DL class.

What I meant was the 2016 class, not after it. As of now. We lead with 3 top DL targets in 2016 and are in the top 3 with another. If we don't land 3 of our top 5 for that class given the good shape we are in with those recruits right now then we cam worry long term.

Gotcha E

Was any big recruits in auburn thus weekend for the game? Or most coming in for Lsu...

2016 kids 4* DE Julian Rochester and 5* Safety from Texas Deontay Anderson (his 2nd AU trip in 3 months. He loves and has a great relationship with Coach Cheese.)

Was any big recruits in auburn thus weekend for the game? Or most coming in for Lsu...

2016 kids 4* DE Julian Rochester and 5* Safety from Texas Deontay Anderson (his 2nd AU trip in 3 months. He loves and has a great relationship with Coach Cheese.)

Great to hear it. I won't hold my breath for Anderson, but that's the kind of stuff I like to hear about our coaches. Coach Cheese and Coach Smith don't get mentioned much these days.

Regarding Coach Garner needing to focus on actually coaching up the guys we've got, I believe it. It's interesting that many Auburn fans still don't seem to understand what a mess we were in when the current staff took over. I'll still feel a lot better when we fill a couple more of the DL slots, but Garner has way too strong of a track record (Lawson, Adams and Daniel say hello) to freak out just yet.

Great to hear it. I won't hold my breath for Anderson, but that's the kind of stuff I like to hear about our coaches. Coach Cheese and Coach Smith don't get mentioned much these days.

Regarding Coach Garner needing to focus on actually coaching up the guys we've got, I believe it. It's interesting that many Auburn fans still don't seem to understand what a mess we were in when the current staff took over. I'll still feel a lot better when we fill a couple more of the DL slots, but Garner has way too strong of a track record (Lawson, Adams and Daniel say hello) to freak out just yet.

B-I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! And Bingo was his name O!!!

In terms of 2016 Defensive Recruiting, John Broussard is favoring us at the moment right now. 5* CB out of Central High in Phenix City.

In terms of 2016 Defensive Recruiting, John Broussard is favoring us at the moment right now. 5* CB out of Central High in Phenix City.

Us and LSWho. His fam is from Louisiana.

Us and LSWho. His fam is from Louisiana.

Right. I think we'll pull him though. As you know I'm from Columbus which is spitting business from PC. I've got some pretty great sources with the PC and Columbus kids. I'll be sure to let y'all know if I hear anything.

Coming in late here, but we have the best pair of starting ILB since Thomas/Dansby. McKinzy is #1 on the team in tackles and Frost is in the top 10. Both are likely to be out most of the LSU game and both played most of the KSU game (not much backups). Swain and WIlliams are pretty good. We have 5 LB at each ILB spot if everyone returns. To me ILB recruiting is not a priority. The Williams kid would be nice, but if he flips nothing we can do about it. If we can get Holland, we would be set!

DL IS a priority. We play about 5 at DT and 5 at DE in the average game. Right now we have guys playing both, so we actually only have 8 and we lose 4 of them after the 2014 season. Not sure whats going on, but we need 3 more DL in this class. Guys like Niles, Russell, and Lawrence are not proven starters. We need more bodies.

Coming in late here, but we have the best pair of starting ILB since Thomas/Dansby. McKinzy is #1 on the team in tackles and Frost is in the top 10. Both are likely to be out most of the LSU game and both played most of the KSU game (not much backups). Swain and WIlliams are pretty good. We have 5 LB at each ILB spot if everyone returns. To me ILB recruiting is not a priority. The Williams kid would be nice, but if he flips nothing we can do about it. If we can get Holland, we would be set!

DL IS a priority. We play about 5 at DT and 5 at DE in the average game. Right now we have guys playing both, so we actually only have 8 and we lose 4 of them after the 2014 season. Not sure whats going on, but we need 3 more DL in this class. Guys like Niles, Russell, and Lawrence are not proven starters. We need more bodies.

The LB spots are not both ILBs. Cass is the Mike LB which is an ILB. Frosty is the Will LB which is an OLB technically in any 2 or 3 LB system. The will is only an ILB in a 4 LB system. On the DL we lose 5 not 4: Owens, Gabe, Bradley, Whitaker, and Blackson.

While they may be technically and responsibility-different, our LB positions are cross-trained by nearly every LB on the roster. McKinzy, Frost, Swain, Flowers and Mitchell have all definitely played both positions (and I'm willing to bet Toney, Tre, et al play both positions also). So basically all of our LB are interchangeable at both positions, meaning we are looking at the same prototypical LB for those positions

You're right, Whitaker was a starter on day 1, but has since moved down the playing rotation. I guess he's our 5th DT.

Tre Williams has practiced exclusively at WLB behind Frost. Swain played SLB in the 4-3, but he's played MLB almost exclusively in the 4-2-5. McKinzy and Frost swapped spots in the off-season so I take your point. You're correct that we've cross-trained our LBs, but it's not accurate to say both LB spots have the same responsibilities. Frost, for example, is on record saying he's a lot more comfortable with his assignments as an OLB.

As for the rotations on the DL, we tend to tighten the rotations a bit. This year and last, we played 4 DTs in about equal snaps. We played 3 DEs as starters, and had a fourth getting low snaps at the position as well as snaps as a fifth DT (Daniel). This year, we've seen the same DT rotation with a true 5th DT (Whitaker), and we've seen 3 DEs (Owens, Lambert, and Daniel) take most of the snaps with Wright and President filling the 4th DE void.

As it stands, in terms of the number of bodies, we'd be okay on the DL next year. We don't have a clear DT rotation (Adams, Lawrence, Russell, Niles, with possibly Daniel and/or Williams), but we have a pecking order at DE (Lawson and Lambert as starters, Daniel, President, Kennion, Williams and Thornton as potential rotation guys). The numbers are there, but we're not proven on the interior. I'm not sure that signing high school guys in February really changes that fact. Signing Swain or landing a 5-star type of guy like Payne might.

Edit: Swain apparently swung between both LB positions after Frost and McKinzy were hurt last week. Discussed here. Williams played WLB and Mitchell played exclusively MLB.

As for the rotations on the DL, we tend to tighten the rotations a bit. This year and last, we played 4 DTs in about equal snaps. We played 3 DEs as starters, and had a fourth getting low snaps at the position as well as snaps as a fifth DT (Daniel). This year, we've seen the same DT rotation with a true 5th DT (Whitaker), and we've seen 3 DEs (Owens, Lambert, and Daniel) take most of the snaps with Wright and President filling the 4th DE void.

As it stands, in terms of the number of bodies, we'd be okay on the DL next year. We don't have a clear DT rotation (Adams, Lawrence, Russell, Niles, with possibly Daniel and/or Williams), but we have a pecking order at DE (Lawson and Lambert as starters, Daniel, President, Kennion, Williams and Thornton as potential rotation guys). The numbers are there, but we're not proven on the interior. I'm not sure that signing high school guys in February really changes that fact. Signing Swain or landing a 5-star type of guy like Payne might.

As things are now. The front line will be better than some think. Barring injuries we will have 3 well established starters in Carl, Monty, and Lambert. Elijah is the early front runner to start at the other DT spot and he has starting experience. After that, on the inside Russell will have to bring that practice hype to the field and 2 of Lawrence, Jaunty Johnson,Andrew Williams in some cases, or the other DT we sign (likely Maurice Swain) will have to make contributing impacts. FWIW by all accounts I've heard don't expect Niles to ever get meaningful snaps at AU.

On the outside 3 of Kennion, Thornton, A-Will, Harrell, President (who is improving), or either of the likely 2 DEs we sign in this class will have to make contributing impacts. I will feel better about the 2015 DL as a whole if other DEs can develop and contribute allowing A-Will and Daniel to be inside permanently.

So I haven't read any of the early pages of this thread, but what does everyone think of our depth at line backer?

There is an all things linebacker thread on the football forum. There, you'll find good info and arguments from all points of view.

Thompson. He is going sign with uGA barring something else going down with Staff leaving etc. This being College Football anything is possible, and I firmly believe without a doubt we are #2 for him. Having him here can only be a good thing.

Which 5star DT is Niebuhr expecting to visit Auburn on Saturday? Is he a 2015 recruit??

When in doubt on VIP stuff from AUC, check to see if they made it a Bolt. If they did you can almost always extrapolate what the VIP info is. Looking at the Auburn Bolt feed We see that the current 3rd news item is the likely 3* DT to visit story. We also see a pic and topic tag of Trent Thompson letting us know that is who Keith is talking about.

would rocker returning to the nfl impact him?

Thompson. He is going sign with uGA barring something else going down with Staff leaving etc. This being College Football anything is possible, and I firmly believe without a doubt we are #2 for him. Having him here can only be a good thing.

Tre Williams has practiced exclusively at WLB behind Frost. Swain played SLB in the 4-3, but he's played MLB almost exclusively in the 4-2-5. McKinzy and Frost swapped spots in the off-season so I take your point. You're correct that we've cross-trained our LBs, but it's not accurate to say both LB spots have the same responsibilities. Frost, for example, is on record saying he's a lot more comfortable with his assignments as an OLB.

Edit: Swain apparently swung between both LB positions after Frost and McKinzy were hurt last week. Discussed here. Williams played WLB and Mitchell played exclusively MLB.

Pretty sure Swain was McKinzy's backup early last year when Frost was Holland's backup. Looked it up and yep:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/08/auburn_releases_2013_two-deep.html

It was later in the season that Swain began to backup at both LB spots. Now he's the MLB. You can also see on that depth chart that Mitchell was a backup WLB. So that means Frost, McKinzy, Swain, Mitchell, and likely Tre are all cross-trained (and interchangeable). I didn't say they're the same responsibilities, but apparently the staff treats the players interchangeably at these 2 positions. Not sure that we need more than 10 guys on the roster to play these 2 positions.

There's no indication that Williams has ever cross-trained. He's a true freshman that's taken every snap at OLB. Swain is an exception. Mitchell never played last year outside goalline sets. He's playing exclusively MLB this year.

Saying someone has cross-trained and saying a player and/or position is interchangeable are two different statements to me. Example, Avery Young started at RT, RG, and LG. He can play multiple spots, but those aren't interchangeable positions. They're all very distinct spots that he happens to be able to play. I don't think we have two ILB spots. I think we happen to have three LBs (Frost, McKinzy, and Swain) that can play inside or outside.

Archived