Defensive Recruiting

Rednilla

I'm with Mikey. Unless we shore up DT with some solid players capable of playing next year, we are in danger of a defensive slide. DT we will have Adams, Lawrence and Daniel as Jrs at 306, 285 and 263 lbs. Lambert will be the lone SR at 293 lbs. We have Russell at 285 lbs but he hasn't played yet so who knows how he performs. That isn't a big or deep line AT ALL, 5 players with a good chance Adams will leave after next season and Lambert graduates leaving us with 3 guys other than recruits from this coming and the next cycle.

At DE we'll have Lawson and President as JRs at 261 & 251 lbs along with 3 RFRs Williams, Thornton & Kenion at 251,225,& 225lbs. Also a good chance Lawson goes pro after that season. Again, 5 players.

Personally, this looks like our biggest need with the way CRG likes to sub DL, one or two injuries and we are in a bad spot.

Lawson will be a sophomore next year unless he is able to make it back and play toward the end of this season. Harrell will be a senior, too, and while he isn't likely to have a breakout campaign, it's not as if he can't provide depth. And I'm pretty sure one or two of the freshmen have been getting some action on the field, so there will be some experience in the younger group, as well.

As for all the weights you listed, do you REALLY think that they can't bulk up in the offseason if needs be?

No, this isn't the NCAA Football video game where you can stockpile top recruits simply by knowing your way around the game, but we have four freshmen D-linemen (three of whom were rated 4 stars) and five sophomore D-linemen (including two consensus 5 star guys, one borderline 5 star, and a borderline 4 star in Lawrence). So that's six players who were rated at least 4 stars by 247Composite and are either freshmen or sophomores and another who was a borderline 4 star out of JUCO. What more are you looking for?

Of course we need to sign at least a couple more defensive linemen, but again, we have three and a half months for one of the best recruiting staffs in college football to reel them in. And the one guy we already have a commitment from is rated 3 stars on 247Composite, but the pure 247 rating has him at a 4 star (not sure about the other services' ratings), so I'd call him a borderline 4 star as well. And he's even a DT.

And one reason Rocker rotates so many guys is to get them experience, so that if a player goes down, there won't be too much drop off in overall production. When you rotate more than twice as many players as you have positions, you can withstand a little bit of attrition.

Call our Dline coach "Rocker" one more time and your banned Red, haha

No kidding

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mikey, you really think signing high school kids is going to have a major impact on our rotations next season? I could see some doom and gloom down the line, but the odds of a true freshman being a major factor for us on the defensive line next year feels pretty low. Adams was essentially a non-factor his freshman year. Daniel was a situational interior rusher. Lawson had a major impact. So short of signing a Carl Lawson-type player, I just don't see it.

We don't know what Russell, Kennion, Thornton, or Williams are, but I do know they'll have a full year of S&C behind them. That's a major edge. I don't expect a 4-star guy to come in and lap those dudes. Three of the four were 4-star guys themselves.

Adonis Thomas decommitted from UF. Cece Jefferson and Cowart are UF leans who are now considering other programs. All three appear to now be interested in UAT. Where is AU; are we still recruiting these guys?

The question is where is Rodney Garner? We heard where Malzahn, Ellis Johnson, Rhett Lashlee, and D. Craig were last week. What 5* recruits did Garner visit?

Quote:"we are doing pretty danged well recruiting on the defensive side of the ball."

Compared to who? Other than the one hit wonder that is MSU, I don't think we are doing very well compared to other national powers, or even would-be power Tennessee. UGA, UAT and so forth are a threat to lap us.

Why does it have to be a comparison with anyone? The name of the game is meeting needs, not winning mythical recruiting national championships. Just because we aren't stockpiling blue chip prospects at every single position (yet) doesn't mean we aren't getting our needs taken care of.

Well, it kinda' has to be a comparison because, you know, we have to play against those people. The guys we sign have to line up against the guys they sign. So far, other than the JUCO CB Bridges, I'm having a hard time finding a defensive commit of ours that has multiple committable offers from our major competitors. UAT, UGA, LSU and the like haven't exactly been all over our defensive guys, a least to date. Maybe I missed one on the list, but I don't think so.

The problem with this analysis is that it suggests each recruiting class plays against each other, rather than falling into the ranks of the rest of the team.

Now, the point about committable offers could well be legit, but I haven't been keeping up with it closely enough to know if they exist for our defensive recruits aside from Bridges or not. The only defensive player I've heard it suggested that the only reason he is committed to AU is because he doesn't have an offer from someone else is the linebacker from Hoover, and even if he is, in fact, in that category, it doesn't mean anything about the others. Maybe they don't have committable offers because other schools have backed off due to Auburn holding such a strong lead (not likely, but possible). Or maybe they do/did have committable offers and it's just speculation that they don't.

I don't know that there is much way to know these things outside of speculation...and given the amount of complaining you've been doing about the linebackers even into this season when they started playing better (I still haven't seen you make a comment suggesting that they are more than slightly above average), it's rather difficult to take your pessimism seriously. It's as if you always see things, at least along these lines, in the worst light possible, refusing to so much as give that there is a possibility that you are wrong and things aren't as doom and gloom as you ALWAYS seem to make them out to be. Kinda destroys your credibility.

Adonis Thomas decommitted from UF. Cece Jefferson and Cowart are UF leans who are now considering other programs. All three appear to now be interested in UAT. Where is AU; are we still recruiting these guys?

Thomas visited for the LSU game but not sure there is serious interest there. Cowart says he may visit AU but he's been saying that since late Spring and has not shown up yet. CeCe eliminated AU a while back per reports,

Mikey, is that you stirring up the pot? We will be fine next year.

Not as fine as we'll be if we can come up with at least five more top of the line defensive recruits.

Better yet, why don't we just scrap most of our commitments and go after nothing but top of the line recruits. Then, if we don't get them, we can just not play football next year, huh? Because otherwise, you're going to bitch and moan endlessly about how the sky is falling until something happens to prove you right. Doesn't matter if it's 20 years down the road; you'll still be talking about how you were right all along, won't you?

The question is where is Rodney Garner? We heard where Malzahn, Ellis Johnson, Rhett Lashlee, and D. Craig were last week. What 5* recruits did Garner visit?

I can't remember if he visited recruits last week of if he was the mandatory 1 or 2 coach per week that could not take visits per NCAA rules. I do know that Garner has made it to visit all his top 2015 and 2016 targets this Fall except Beckner Jr. The staff is almost done with it's fall visits also. They have used 40 of their alotted 42 visit days.

I'm with Mikey. Unless we shore up DT with some solid players capable of playing next year, we are in danger of a defensive slide. DT we will have Adams, Lawrence and Daniel as Jrs at 306, 285 and 263 lbs. Lambert will be the lone SR at 293 lbs. We have Russell at 285 lbs but he hasn't played yet so who knows how he performs. That isn't a big or deep line AT ALL, 5 players with a good chance Adams will leave after next season and Lambert graduates leaving us with 3 guys other than recruits from this coming and the next cycle.

At DE we'll have Lawson and President as JRs at 261 & 251 lbs along with 3 RFRs Williams, Thornton & Kenion at 251,225,& 225lbs. Also a good chance Lawson goes pro after that season. Again, 5 players.

Personally, this looks like our biggest need with the way CRG likes to sub DL, one or two injuries and we are in a bad spot.

Lawson will be a sophomore next year unless he is able to make it back and play toward the end of this season. Harrell will be a senior, too, and while he isn't likely to have a breakout campaign, it's not as if he can't provide depth. And I'm pretty sure one or two of the freshmen have been getting some action on the field, so there will be some experience in the younger group, as well.

As for all the weights you listed, do you REALLY think that they can't bulk up in the offseason if needs be?

No, this isn't the NCAA Football video game where you can stockpile top recruits simply by knowing your way around the game, but we have four freshmen D-linemen (three of whom were rated 4 stars) and five sophomore D-linemen (including two consensus 5 star guys, one borderline 5 star, and a borderline 4 star in Lawrence). So that's six players who were rated at least 4 stars by 247Composite and are either freshmen or sophomores and another who was a borderline 4 star out of JUCO. What more are you looking for?

Of course we need to sign at least a couple more defensive linemen, but again, we have three and a half months for one of the best recruiting staffs in college football to reel them in. And the one guy we already have a commitment from is rated 3 stars on 247Composite, but the pure 247 rating has him at a 4 star (not sure about the other services' ratings), so I'd call him a borderline 4 star as well. And he's even a DT.

And one reason Rocker rotates so many guys is to get them experience, so that if a player goes down, there won't be too much drop off in overall production. When you rotate more than twice as many players as you have positions, you can withstand a little bit of attrition.

No kidding

Okay, I am dreadfully sorry that in the midst of everything else going on in my life, when I get on the message boards seeking some scintilla of stability around what is SUPPOSED to be Family, my mind has accidentally replaced the name of our current defensive line coach who played in the late 80s under Pat Dye with the name of our old defensive line coach who played in the late 80s under Pat Dye.

Good grief. Maybe I should just abdicate myself from the board altogether. Seems there would be a hell of a lot of people happy to see me go.

Good grief. Maybe I should just abdicate myself from the board altogether. Seems there would be a hell of a lot of people happy to see me go.

No. The board would be worse off if you go. Even though I don't read a number of them due to my attention span allowing for 3 sentences unless my blood is pumping on a topic, whether people agree with you or not you're posts are always well thought out and articulate. I have seen a number of posters gain from your insights. As for the Rocker mishap, I still think it's funny knowing how much of a great Auburn man you are. The people who can't see the humor and are taking the mishap way too seriously need to chillax.

Lawson will be a sophomore next year unless he is able to make it back and play toward the end of this season. Harrell will be a senior, too, and while he isn't likely to have a breakout campaign, it's not as if he can't provide depth. And I'm pretty sure one or two of the freshmen have been getting some action on the field, so there will be some experience in the younger group, as well. My point is Lawson can go pro after next year regardless. Will he, IDK. Your other point isl true and I hope some of the young DE's and Russell turn out to be really good but at this point all it is is hope. Williams, Ruffin and Roberts have all done well IMO.

As for all the weights you listed, do you REALLY think that they can't bulk up in the offseason if needs be? I expect they will but just how much good weight can Daniel for instance, put on over the next 2 years? 20 pounds?

No, this isn't the NCAA Football video game where you can stockpile top recruits simply by knowing your way around the game, but we have four freshmen D-linemen (three of whom were rated 4 stars) and five sophomore D-linemen (including two consensus 5 star guys, one borderline 5 star, and a borderline 4 star in Lawrence). So that's six players who were rated at least 4 stars by 247Composite and are either freshmen or sophomores and another who was a borderline 4 star out of JUCO. What more are you looking for? I'm looking at depths and long term needs, specifically on the line, I think we're OK elsewhere.

And one reason Garner rotates so many guys is to get them experience, so that if a player goes down, there won't be too much drop off in overall production. When you rotate more than twice as many players as you have positions, you can withstand a little bit of attrition.

No. The board would be worse off if you go. Even though I don't read a number of them due to my attention span allowing for 3 sentences unless my blood is pumping on a topic, whether people agree with you or not you're posts are always well thought out and articulate. I have seen a number of posters gain from your insights. As for the Rocker mishap, I still think it's funny knowing how much of a great Auburn man you are. The people who can't see the humor and are taking the mishap way too seriously need to chillax.

Agreed, don't go Red. That's why I put a "haha" at the end. Totally poking fun buddy. Sorry if I came off wrong

Agreed, don't go Red. That's why I put a "haha" at the end. Totally poking fun buddy. Sorry if I came off wrong

Nobody was calling for you to ban yourself, Red. It was just a joke...

No kidding

Okay, I am dreadfully sorry that in the midst of everything else going on in my life, when I get on the message boards seeking some scintilla of stability around what is SUPPOSED to be Family, my mind has accidentally replaced the name of our current defensive line coach who played in the late 80s under Pat Dye with the name of our old defensive line coach who played in the late 80s under Pat Dye.

Relax, Red. Even I, with my "totally pessimistic and sour disposition", can see the Rocker thing was a joke.

Now, about those LB's: They are playing better than I thought they could, which means they have climbed all the way up to "average" or "ordinary" in my opinion.

Now, about those LB's: They are playing better than I thought they could

...and all the Plains wept with joy. That's one win this weekend already, Auburn fans. Happy Friday and WDE!

And Red, if you leave, I leave. Actually, I take that back, otherwise folks might really start encouraging you to hit the bricks :)

Damn Red, We need you and we all enjoy your well thought out posts and understanding. War Eagle!

No kidding

Or NOT please!

Two (McBryde and Williams). Plus two or three more for the Star position (Atkinson, Sullivan, and possibly Colbert).

Guest jojo1515

I personally wish that everybody on this board would immediately close their accounts and never come back after making such a horrid mistake. That's ok Red, I'm sure Chizik knows that Rocker isn't our D Line coach anymore and Chizik will still find a way to win here without him.....oh, wait a minute.....darn it, i meant to say Tommy; I guess I have to remove myself now too :)

To get back to the issue, our LB recruiting is solid we just need one more Tre type. Our d-line is an issue as we need a min of two studs every year. We got a couple from last yr that will have to contribute next and will be able to take over when Monty and Carl leave. We need to keep that cycle going. Coach G needs to get it going over there!

To get back to the issue, our LB recruiting is solid we just need one more Tre type. Our d-line is an issue as we need a min of two studs every year. We got a couple from last yr that will have to contribute next and will be able to take over when Monty and Carl leave. We need to keep that cycle going. Coach G needs to get it going over there!

Why yes, I agree completely. "One more Tre type" would bring this year's LB recruiting to where it should be. "One more Tre type" would have brought last year, and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that.....all up to where they should have been. The problem being that the "one more Tre type" guy hasn't been signing with Auburn.

Why yes, I agree completely. "One more Tre type" would bring this year's LB recruiting to where it should be. "One more Tre type" would have brought last year, and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that.....all up to where they should have been. The problem being that the "one more Tre type" guy hasn't been signing with Auburn.

We got our Tre last year. We only play two LB's so get 2-3 a yr. got two last yr, 1 a 5-star. The one we lost would have been a rush end and he probably fits in better In a 3-4 than a 4-3. IMO we are all in a better position this yr to get what we really need. Our 3rd LB is a versatile safety that can blitz and cover.

LB play was the best thing about our defense last night. Pass rush was nonexistent and secondary was the worst I've ever seen it.

Archived