FSU, the new R.M.S. Titanic

Weegle777

I have an opinion that is neither professional, nor backed up with a link, but purely speculative, that FSU and Jimbo are a sinking ship that will hit the collegiate sea floor very soon. First, no one player is above the program as a whole, and Jameis Winston, if he was a regular student, would have been expelled long ago. Second, the apathetic resistance to discipline said QB, unless pressured by the administration, shows that Jimbo has placed his precious Jameis on a very high pedestal that will neither benefit Winston, nor his program in the long run. Third, to have players in the FSU program go on ESPN speaking out against their own teammate and supposed leader, speaks VOLUMES about the leadership on the staff, which very well might be why Dameyune Craig got the heck out of there. Solidarity is key to having your program exude a unified and harmonious front, and from what I have seen, that isn't happening. The FSU hull has been compromised and it won't be, in my honest opinion, long until FSU drags the bottom and starts a new coaching search.

Been festering for 2 years now. They are all trying to protect JW from himself, but the just can't baby sit 24 hrs a day. Kid needs kicked out.

I read through the timeline of the investigation or lack of one against involving Winston last year. I think the police, school, and DA all were dragging out or stalling the various criminal and title IX investigations hoping the evidence and leads would disappear. Delaying allowed the video tapes at the bar to be erased or overwritten and witnesses memories to become fuzzy. Certain Witnesses would also have time to sync their stories.

I think you are right weegs. I also HOPE you are right. I believe Fisher is a vastly overrated coach and he has a one man person team. He had one quality season playing a player that was accused of rape and should never have been on the field at all. He plays in a conference that consists of garbage teams from top to bottom. I mean they played frickin' DUKE in their conference championship game last year. fsu is a joke of a school and a joke of a football program. The sooner they sink back into the abyss the better for all of college football. They are also historically one of the dirtiest teams in the country.

Could explain the loss of several assistants over the past few years, often taking lateral moves.

I've noticed several parallels lately between FSU and ourselves during the Chizik years myself.

It must not bother anybody down there much since they let JW give a halftime speech to the team.

FSU created this when they covered up the sexual assault. I hope they get everything they've got coming to them and more.

They enabled Winston when they let this sociopath play DURING THE RAPE INVESTIGATION. How many other schools would have allowed that? Not even uat (I don't believe) would have allowed that and very little is beneath uat when it comes to winning.

Just curious about the timing of when Coach Craig accepted the Auburn coaching job and the actual rape allegations. Initial offer was not accepted, but then something happened and he made the call to come to Auburn.....

I think you are on to something. Not just Dameyune Craig. Jeremy Pruitt was a big loss.

Something was weird about last night. A player suspended for an entire game goes out on the field, warms up, then removes his pads and participates in the sidline like an injured player, not a suspended player. He is not told to "cool it", he is not kept in the back row, he is at Jimbo's side constantly, he is running to the endzone to congratulate players, etc. And Jimbo's post game interview was the cockiest I have ever seen a coach. Comparing Jimbo's comments on backup QB Sean Maguire's play to Jimbo's comments on JW, Jimbo seemed more critical of Maguire. It was just weird.

FSU's 2013 season is seen as being due to one player: Jameis Winston. Jimbo knows his success making FSU a national power is closely tied to his QB. I think Jimbo did not want to suspend Winston, but had to. I think Jimbo was pissed when he was forced to extend the suspension for the full game.

While all of the sportscasters love to bring up Jimbo's affiliation with Saban, Jimbo only worked for Saban for four years. Jimbo spent 14 years in the Bowden orbit, specifically Terry (11 years) and Bobby (3 years). I remember the talk back when Jimbo was Auburn's OC of how Jimbo was considered "Bobby's Fourth Son", and how Jimbo joined the Bowdens sometimes for family holiday get togethers. Institutional control was not a strong point of either Terry or Bobby, and while Saban has his "process", I am not sure institutional control is a strong point for Saban either.

Is FSU's success sustainable under Fisher? Can Fisher maintain success year in and year out both in the recruiting battles, but also maintain program continuity even with the inevitable assistant coaching changes? Or was 2013 a "Perfect Storm", never to be repeated, and will FSU drift back to year after year of 8-4 seasons?

I think you are on to something. Not just Dameyune Craig. Jeremy Pruitt was a big loss.

Something was weird about last night. A player suspended for an entire game goes out on the field, warms up, then removes his pads and participates in the sidline like an injured player, not a suspended player. He is not told to "cool it", he is not kept in the back row, he is at Jimbo's side constantly, he is running to the endzone to congratulate players, etc. And Jimbo's post game interview was the cockiest I have ever seen a coach. Comparing Jimbo's comments on backup QB Sean Maguire's play to Jimbo's comments on JW, Jimbo seemed more critical of Maguire. It was just weird.

FSU's 2013 season is seen as being due to one player: Jameis Winston. Jimbo knows his success making FSU a national power is closely tied to his QB. I think Jimbo did not want to suspend Winston, but had to. I think Jimbo was pissed when he was forced to extend the suspension for the full game.

While all of the sportscasters love to bring up Jimbo's affiliation with Saban, Jimbo only worked for Saban for four years. Jimbo spent 14 years in the Bowden orbit, specifically Terry (11 years) and Bobby (3 years). I remember the talk back when Jimbo was Auburn's OC of how Jimbo was considered "Bobby's Fourth Son", and how Jimbo joined the Bowdens sometimes for family holiday get togethers. Institutional control was not a strong point of either Terry or Bobby, and while Saban has his "process", I am not sure institutional control is a strong point for Saban either.

Is FSU's success sustainable under Fisher? Can Fisher maintain success year in and year out both in the recruiting battles, but also maintain program continuity even with the inevitable assistant coaching changes? Or was 2013 a "Perfect Storm", never to be repeated, and will FSU drift back to year after year of 8-4 seasons?

Isn't he Bobbys' son in law?

No, I do not think Bobby has any daughters. Jimbo's wife Candi is from Birmingham, as is Bobby, so there may be some familiy connection.

Yep. And then Jimbo disrespected all of the other players when he said that "they" won without their best player on the field.

Goes to the weirdness issue. Jimbo is living vicariously through Jameis. Jameis is at FSU because CDC was Jimbo's stud recruiter. Jimbo doen't have a super recruiter any more, so no more Jameises. Jameis promised he would stay for another year or two, but now the Interim University doesn't like Jameis, so Jameis is probably going to the NFL next year, and Jimbo will be going 8-4 next year.

Has anyone considered that Jimbo might be protected by the same Mark Emmert force field which protects Saban? Jimbo was at LSU at the same time as Saban.

I have an opinion that is neither professional, nor backed up with a link, but purely speculative, that FSU and Jimbo are a sinking ship that will hit the collegiate sea floor very soon. First, no one player is above the program as a whole, and Jameis Winston, if he was a regular student, would have been expelled long ago. Second, the apathetic resistance to discipline said QB, unless pressured by the administration, shows that Jimbo has placed his precious Jameis on a very high pedestal that will neither benefit Winston, nor his program in the long run. Third, to have players in the FSU program go on ESPN speaking out against their own teammate and supposed leader, speaks VOLUMES about the leadership on the staff, which very well might be why Dameyune Craig got the heck out of there. Solidarity is key to having your program exude a unified and harmonious front, and from what I have seen, that isn't happening. The FSU hull has been compromised and it won't be, in my honest opinion, long until FSU drags the bottom and starts a new coaching search.

I agree with you philosophically and hope you are right prophetically (regarding FSU as a sinking ship)!

Looking back, I googled this SI article on JW's past BB gun and soda theft incidents (which I don't recall hearing about at the time):

http://www.si.com/si...ollege-football

What stands out to me:

..The 19-year-old Winston and other FSU players were questioned in November 2012 after 13 windows were broken at an apartment complex following a BB gun battle...The apartment complex manager had sought to evict Winston and three other tenants but ultimately decided against the eviction after an official with the FSU athletic department promised that the players would pay for the damage.

1. 13 windows?!! I know many kids have engaged, maybe stupidly, in BB gun battles, hopefully with adequate eye protection--although it's hard for me to believe Jameis & Co. have the good sense to protect their eyes. (My brothers and I have had bottle rocket battles long after we were grown men out of college, although nowhere near any property that could be damaged.) But even at worst, the first broken window should have signaled the end of the activity. Thirteen damaged windows signals a complete disregard for the property of others.

2. One has to wonder who really paid for the damages. <_<

The second incident that was made public on Wednesday indicates a Burger King employee called police to report Winston was stealing soda. Winston allegedly entered the Burger King with three other men, did not order food and starting using ketchup cups to fill with soda. He was never questioned by police because the owner of the Burger King restaurant decided not to prosecute
I admit a few ketchup cups full of soda hardly constitutes a significant theft, value-wise, and perhaps not worth the hassle of filing charges. But one now wonders if the owner's forgiveness was motivated by FSU pressure or fanship. Would an ordinary (i.e., non-football star) thief have gotten equal mercy?

Does anyone, Weegs or otherwise, have a link to other players speaking out against him on ESPN? Just asking because I'd really like to read what they said. Maybe there is a little sanity somewhere on the team!

Has anyone considered that Jimbo might be protected by the same Mark Emmert force field which protects Saban? Jimbo was at LSU at the same time as Saban.

Had not considered this before, but it's a good question. Even if there is no current "Mark Emmert force field" of protection at work, questions regarding Jimbo's ethics should certainly take into account the alleged academic fraud that Saban, Emmert, et al allegedly covered up at LSU. (I personally now regret that Fisher was ever associated with Auburn football.)

Of course, none of JW's alleged misconduct comes under the heading of a violation of specific NCAA rules, but the ongoing Title XI investigation and the apparent protection/tolerance of Jameis in his other escapades raises the specter of an institutional coverup much like Penn State's culture of "football above all else". If I were a Penn State fan, I would certainly take exception if the NCAA let FSU slide on a cover up not unlike PSU's, if allegations prove true.

I think there is a strong possibility that fisher is threatening the administration not to mess with him or 'his' team and star player. He may be telling them if you force me out I'll take my contract money and talk to the press and NCAA. If FSU went down I think it would be worse than the UAT fall. More like SMU without the death penalty.

No, I do not think Bobby has any daughters. Jimbo's wife Candi is from Birmingham, as is Bobby, so there may be some familiy connection.

Candi Coogler Fisher is from Piedmont, Alabama, my hometown. Her niece and nephew attend the same lil 1A school( not Piedmont High School) as my children. Her youngest niece and my daughter are classmates and friends, even though they have heated battles about AU and FSU, lol. Candi's mom lives in B'ham, but she did not raise any of the 3 children there, they lived with their father just outside Piedmont. There are no family ties to the Bowdens, just a very close relationship. He was always meant to be the coach at FSU, as soon as his plane landed in Tallahassee.

I think there is a strong possibility that fisher is threatening the administration not to mess with him or 'his' team and star player. He may be telling them if you force me out I'll take my contract money and talk to the press and NCAA. If FSU went down I think it would be worse than the UAT fall. More like SMU without the death penalty.

I'm not too sure there are many thing's better that uat getting the death penalty.

Archived