Let's raise the gas tax

AFTiger

:-\ Our infrastructure is deteriorating so let's spend gas tax money on something else.

([/color]CNSNews.com) - Over $47 million has been awarded to municipalities by the U.S. Department of Transportation for bicycle and pedestrian path projects.

“As uncertainty about the future of long-term federal funding continues, this round of TIGER (Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery) will be a shot in the arm for these innovative, job-creating and quality of life-enhancing projects,” said Secretary Anthony Foxx in a September press release on the grants.

Among the $600 million in TIGER-funded projects announced, $47,472,700 of grants are dedicated to bike and pedestrian paths.]

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/eric-scheiner/dept-transportation-rolls-out-47m-bike-and-pedestrian-paths

How about we stop pissing money away on crap we don't need and use the money we are already spending on infrastructure. Secondly, we've just spent more money than at any time in our history on shovel ready jobs; I thought that was supposed to take care of our infrastructure? How about we stop trying to commit economic suicide and get our financial house in order so we can afford to keep up with the Chinese and others who don't seem to have the self inflicted problem we do.

The current administration is more interested in payback than doing what is best for America. The only answer is to kick the bums out.

No matter who's "effort" ... Bad idea in this economy period.

You all do realize that raising the gas tax is a bipartisan effort led by Bob Corker, don't you?

I'll bet that Rino supports walking and bike riding, too!

They are funneling gas tax money into small towns for basically beautification projects of paths along creek bottoms and abandoned railroad right of ways. Walking and Riding bikes along creeks in places like mountain brook Alabama may be great fun, but car bridges are falling into rivers all over the county.

So we complain about making environments that make/encourage riding a bike and walking lol. I use the walking and biking lanes that have been set up around Auburn all the time on my way to class. Donahue is a perfect example.

Texan4Auburn....I agree those things are good.. My opinion is we can do a lot more infrastructure without raising any more taxes if we just get serious and cut a ton of waste in gov't spending. I would love to be in charge of that.

So the current script calls for complaining about people riding bikes and walking. Got it. :-\ :rolleyes:

To use a direct example from the article, the current script says if the people of Dahlonega, GA want a bike path or sidewalks, they should pay for it...not the people of Lakeway TX. The federal gov't has no business even thinking about this kind of thing.

So the current script calls for complaining about people riding bikes and walking. Got it. :-\ :rolleyes:

To use a direct example from the article, the current script says if the people of Dahlonega, GA want a bike path or sidewalks, they should pay for it...not the people of Lakeway TX. The federal gov't has no business even thinking about this kind of thing.

Couldn't everyone make that argument though with tax dollars.

Why do my tax dollars go to subsidizing the main ingredients in junk foods? So 128 billion to junk food.... or 128 billion to walking and bike paths that might help offset the 150 billion a year in health care costs that the first 128 billion contributed to. I would prefer my tax dollars used in the latter.

http://www.businessinsider.com/billions-in-tax-dollars-subsidize-the-junk-food-industry-2012-7

If the people in Tuscaloosa, Alabama want to get fat then why should the people in Colorado Springs contribute to it. In fact couldn't the people that live in Colorado complain about their tax dollars going to Alabama. Believe Alabama receives a pretty hefty amount.

Mean pretty much some of your tax money is going to go to something you don't agree with that others do agree with.

Texan4Auburn....I agree those things are good.. My opinion is we can do a lot more infrastructure without raising any more taxes if we just get serious and cut a ton of waste in gov't spending. I would love to be in charge of that.

No no no. I like those things, thus you can not like them. It's the rules of America. You have to stand on walking and bicycles being bad, and then support the only good use for this would be for individual hover carts that keep Americans from walking cause walking and biking is a liberal thing. I suggest you reread the forum rules! :big:

In seriousness, yes. There are a ton of things that the gov't could stop spending on and shift to other areas that would be more beneficial.

No no no. I like those things, thus you can not like them. It's the rules of America. You have to stand on walking and bicycles being bad, and then support the only good use for this would be for individual hover carts that keep Americans from walking cause walking and biking is a liberal thing. I suggest you reread the forum rules! :big:

In seriousness, yes. There are a ton of things that the gov't could stop spending on and shift to other areas that would be more beneficial.

or, just stop taking such a large cut of the peoples money and do a hell of a lot less; I don't know..maybe limit itself to what it prescribes in the constitution.

or, just stop taking such a large cut of the peoples money and do a hell of a lot less; I don't know..maybe limit itself to what it prescribes in the constitution.

You know politicians and Corporate America won't let that happen.

No no no. I like those things, thus you can not like them. It's the rules of America. You have to stand on walking and bicycles being bad, and then support the only good use for this would be for individual hover carts that keep Americans from walking cause walking and biking is a liberal thing. I suggest you reread the forum rules! :big:/>

That is why it's past time to take the country back away from them. We have to start sometime and at someplace. Best way is to start at the local and state level. We didn't get here overnight and we won't fix it overnight but it is a battle worth fighting.

You all do realize that raising the gas tax is a bipartisan effort led by Bob Corker, don't you?

Out of curiosity, was it also Corker's idea to spend that revenue on bike paths and walking trails?

The Swamp Rabbit Trail has been a tremendous economic boom to Greenville county. Traveler's Rest is booming with new business start-ups. This are the sort of things that attract people - and businesses - to locate here.

Republicans are totally out of touch regarding what such amenities can mean to the economy. Well, except for the local Republican mayors and County council members who supported it here. ;)

http://greenvillerec.com/swamprabbit

Meanwhile, Greenville County is trying to pay for badly needed road repair and improvement by increasing the sales tax by 1%. Crazy way to fund road maintenance/construction, but our Republican Governor - Nikki Haley - has decided to adhere to the "no tax" party line, even though we have one of the lowest state gas tax rates in the country.

The Swamp Rabbit Trail has been a tremendous economic boom to Greenville county. Traveler's Rest is booming with new business start-ups. This are the sort of things that attract people - and businesses - to locate here.

Republicans are totally out of touch regarding what such amenities can mean to the economy. Well, except for the local Republican mayors and County council members who supported it here. ;)

Meanwhile, Greenville County is trying to pay for badly needed road repair and improvement by increasing the sales tax by 1%. Crazy way to fund road maintenance/construction, but our Republican Governor - Nikki Haley - has decided to adhere to the "no tax" party line, even though we have one of the lowest state gas tax rates in the country.

Well that is a matter for local voters to decide. It is where these battles belong, not at the federal level.

Well that is a matter for local voters to decide. It is where these battles belong, not at the federal level.

Some folks, like homie, honestly believe the federal govt is better equipped than State or Local jurisdictions to make EVERY SINGLE DECISION that affects people's lives. I mean, the VA debacle certainly seems to make his argument incredibly persuasive, doesn't it? :-\

No no no. I like those things, thus you can not like them. It's the rules of America. You have to stand on walking and bicycles being bad, and then support the only good use for this would be for individual hover carts that keep Americans from walking cause walking and biking is a liberal thing. I suggest you reread the forum rules! :big:/>

That is why it's past time to take the country back away from them. We have to start sometime and at someplace. Best way is to start at the local and state level. We didn't get here overnight and we won't fix it overnight but it is a battle worth fighting.

Yep!

Low hanging fruit:

• Washington spends $92 billion on corporate welfare (excluding TARP) versus $71 billion on homeland security.[2]
  • Washington spends $25 billion annually maintaining unused or vacant federal properties.[3]
  • Government auditors spent the past five years examining all federal programs and found that 22 percent of them -- costing taxpayers a total of $123 billion annually -- fail to show any positive impact on the populations they serve.[4]
  • The Congressional Budget Office published a "Budget Options" series identifying more than $100 billion in potential spending cuts.[5]

My personal favorites:

• Washington will spend $2.6 million training Chinese prostitutes to drink more responsibly on the job.[7] This is certainly the type of thing the federal gov't should be involved in...
  • The Federal Communications Commission spent $350,000 to sponsor NASCAR driver David Gilliland.[20]YEHAW!!!!!
  • Congress recently gave Alaska Airlines $500,000 to paint a Chinook salmon on a Boeing 737.[25]
  • Washington spends $60,000 per hour shooting Air Force One photo-ops in front of national landmarks.[30]
  • Homeland Security employee purchases include 63-inch plasma TVs, iPods, and $230 for a beer brewing kit.[38]
  • The Pentagon recently spent $998,798 shipping two 19-cent washers from South Carolina to Texas and $293,451 sending an 89-cent washer from South Carolina to Florida.[11]

Hundreds of $billions in waste....and some here think bike paths and sidewalks are what we should be spending federal $$ on...

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2009/10/50-examples-of-government-waste

Archived