Spotlight on Cameron Artis-Payne - KSU game

StatTiger

Through 3 games into the season, Cameron Artis-Payne has done a solid job of replacing Tre Mason. He has racked up 352-yards rushing, putting him on pace for a 1400-yard regular season. He is currently 2nd on the team in generating impact plays, behind D'haquille Williams. Kansas State limited CAP to just 63-yards rushing last Thursday night but he was still able to generate 2 impact plays in the passing game.

The play...

KSU-Capscreen_zpsa54dd065.jpg

On this play Auburn faces a 2nd & 8 from their own 13-yard line. Auburn has a double-screen set up, featuring Cameron Artis-Payne. Before the snap, CAP is lined up over the slot position and will motion into the backfield. At the snap, CAP fans back out of the backfield as Sammie Coates sets up on the boundary side for a screen-pass look. Auburn's OL splits up with 3 setting up a wall for Coates side and 2 moving to wall up for CAP on the wide-side.

Nick Marshall delivers the screen pass to Cameron Artis-Payne as Patrick Miller and Avery Young set up to block for CAP down field. Artis-Payne high-steps to avoid one tackle from behind and is able to split 2 additional defenders to gain 15-yards on the play. The play results in an Auburn first-down.

Cameron Artis-Payne has 4 receptions on the season and 3 have resulted in an impact play for the Auburn offense. He has proven to be an extremely reliable pass-option and hopefully will be utilized more frequently in the passing game.

Nice play; and love to see us getting the back out in space. If they are loading up on the outside to stop the outside options; this is a great way to get great players the ball in space.

Statiger??? I almost feel scared to ask for fear of getting lynched. Why does it seem the read is slower with CAP than it was with TRE? Is this by design, a figment of my imagination, or just a case of chemistry? I am starting to wonder if the 2014 version is actually a true read 90% of the time while the 2013 version was a read 10% of the time.

Statiger??? I almost feel scared to ask for fear of getting lynched. Why does it seem the read is slower with CAP than it was with TRE? Is this by design, a figment of my imagination, or just a case of chemistry? I am starting to wonder if the 2014 version is actually a true read 90% of the time while the 2013 version was a read 10% of the time.

I think Tre had a quicker first step and maybe a little more wiggle, but the stats really aren't any different. We're ahead of last year's pace.

Nah...you're not alone. I've noticed the exchange seems to be delayed too. Thinking it may just take some time in gamespeed to mesh with them. It took time last season too. I'm hoping they use this week to really work on the run game and little things like that. It could also be delayed to set up blocking and open holes IMO. CAP is a great back, but he doesn't hit the hole quite as fast as Tre didn't. Not a slight to CAP at all.

I think Tre had a quicker first step and maybe a little more wiggle, but the stats really aren't any different. We're ahead of last year's pace.

IMO, Marshall and CAP are still adjusting to one another. Marshall and Mason were not smooth early on and defenses are better prepared for it this season. Despite the OL needing a few games to adjust and opposing defenses playing better against the read-option, CAP is still having a very good season.

Through 3 games...

Tre Mason had 206-yds on 39 carries for 2 TD's (5.28 YPC) / tackled for loss 2 times

CAP has 352-yds on 64 carries for 4 TD's (5.50 YPC) / tackled for loss 2 times

Impact plays (15+ yards):

Tre Mason 1 from 42 offensive touches (1 per 42 plays)

Cameron Artis-Payne 6 from 68 offensive touches (1 per 11 plays)

IMO, Marshall and CAP are still adjusting to one another. Marshall and Mason were not smooth early on and defenses are better prepared for it this season. Despite the OL needing a few games to adjust and opposing defenses playing better against the read-option, CAP is still having a very good season.

Through 3 games...

Tre Mason had 206-yds on 39 carries for 2 TD's (5.28 YPC) / tackled for loss 2 times

CAP has 352-yds on 64 carries for 4 TD's (5.50 YPC) / tackled for loss 2 times

Impact plays (15+ yards):

Tre Mason 1 from 42 offensive touches (1 per 42 plays)

Cameron Artis-Payne 6 from 68 offensive touches (1 per 11 plays)

Thanks. CAP has been doing awesome and I know the sky is the limit. Just an observation that I wanted to hear other opinions on. Nick played only one half against Arky, a short amount of time in a tune up game against SJST, and then faced a very well disciplined team in Kst. Once Nick gets his sea legs back under him and breaks a few chunk yardage plays on keepers, CAP could start turning heads!!!

Archived