Spotlight on Johnathan Ford

StatTiger

Prior to this season, the Auburn defense had allowed an average of 182.7 yards rushing per game from 2011-2013. During that 39-game run, Auburn allowed the opponent to rush for over 200-yards, 18 times. Ellis Johnson made run-defense a high priority, when he arrived at Auburn and we are beginning to see the results. During the 2012 season Auburn finished at No. 100 in run-defense. The Tigers improved to No. 63 last season under Ellis Johnson and are currently No. 11 after 3 games into the 2014 season. Tackling has improved dramatically and the players appear far more comfortable in year #2 under Ellis Johnson.

The Play...

KSU-FordTFL_zpsb93c8f86.jpg

On this play Kansas State has the ball at their own 46-yard line, facing a 2nd & 2. The Wildcats will attempt to run a counter-trey to the boundary side of the field. Auburn has 7 men in the box to defend what is likely going to be a run play.

The key to defending this play is LaDarius Owens. He has backside responsibility to defend any cut backs by the RB and the quarterback, should he play-action and bootleg. When the KSU running back makes his cutback, Owens is in position to force the play deep and wide. This allows Johnathan Ford and Kris Frost time and space to run the play down.

Rudy Ford closes and makes the tackle on the RB for a loss, forcing a passing situation on 3rd down. Though the DL only accounted for 9 tackles against the Wildcats, the numbers are misleading, when judging the performance of the Auburn DL. In this case, Owens is not credited for a tackle on this play but he was the primary reason why the play resulted in a loss.

Through 3 games the Auburn defense is holding their opponent to 59 percent below their rushing average. You cannot establish that kind of production without the DL playing well.

Good stuff Stat as always! Its amazing what happens when players play their position and stay with their assignments. Ford played an AUsome game! I can see him being better than Rosegreen was if stays the course with his speed size and athleticism. The future of the secondary looks very bright!

Ford really showed his closing speed on this play. If he keeps on improving, we could have a special player. Similar to one of those Earl Thomas, how did he get there so quickly, plays. I'm only comparing their reaction time and speed, not saying Ford is as good as Thomas.

Ironically, recruited as a top caliber running back with receivers hands, Ford could have been a phenomenal tool punking opposing secondaries in Malzahn's O. Great athletes that keep open minds will be successful wherever they're placed.

Kid is a baller and has always been successful at any position. Looks like he made a good move heading over to the D side. As stated above, he has a huge upside and is still getting adjusted over there. He's got two more years after this to boot too.

"CEJ sucks!"

-the informed masses.

Ahhhh, yes. The "informed" masses, they of jumped to conclusions and notions conceived prematurely? Those "informed" masses? (Looking at you auburn4ever... :poke:, ;D)

I don't know if many of you know much about the story of his recruitment. I worked with his cousin who talked about how the night before Ford committed to Auburn, Saban was over at their house trying desperately to get him to commit to playing DB at Alabama. Saban literally stayed at their house all day. The next day, Ford committed to Auburn. His family is all Auburn fans and he grew up one. It's always good to see a recruit give Saban the bird.

On another note, as hard as the KSU game was to watch because of the offense, it sure did get me fired up watching how great our defense played!

I don't know if many of you know much about the story of his recruitment. I worked with his cousin who talked about how the night before Ford committed to Auburn, Saban was over at their house trying desperately to get him to commit to playing DB at Alabama. Saban literally stayed at their house all day. The next day, Ford committed to Auburn. His family is all Auburn fans and he grew up one. It's always good to see a recruit give Saban the bird.

Just another example of how that university works, kudos to him and his family for not falling for the hype

The draft status of good corners and safeties, along with the premium they are getting on their contracts, ie. Richard Sherman, are making it much easier for young guys to see a solid future in a switch to defense. A player, unless he is the starter, can choose to try to get his number called on offense for just a handful of plays each game as a WR or RB. But, if he has the talent like Ford, he can choose to show what he can do in the secondary on almost every play on defense and really make a name for himself. Ford is off to the races and I hope Reed is close behind.

"CEJ sucks!"

-the informed masses.

Ahhhh, yes. The "informed" masses, they of jumped to conclusions and notions conceived prematurely? Those "informed" masses? (Looking at you auburn4ever... :poke:, ;D)

Well if you're hanging your hat on Arky, San Jose State and that nice performance against KState where the D didn't suck, YOU are premature my friends. No doubt Saturdays performance was a step in the right direction for the D as a unit, but hold your horses because if we continue to not show up on D until the second half against LSU, Texas A & M, et al, offensive hickups will result in deficits on the scoreboard we won't recover from in the second half. Johnson's coaching MO is not coached up unit-wide performance, it's his sterling recruiting that lands outstanding athletes that put in select outstanding individual performances. If you like Ford, wait for the Moncrief show, he has All-American capabilities IMO.

"CEJ sucks!"

-the informed masses.

Well if you're hanging your hat on Arky, San Jose State and that nice performance against KState where the D didn't suck, YOU are premature my friends. No doubt Saturdays performance was a step in the right direction for the D as a unit, but hold your horses because if we continue to not show up on D until the second half against LSU, Texas A & M, et al, offensive hickups will result in deficits on the scoreboard we won't recover from in the second half. Johnson's coaching MO is not coached up unit-wide performance, it's his sterling recruiting that lands outstanding athletes that put in select outstanding individual performances. If you like Ford, wait for the Moncrief show, he has All-American capabilities IMO.

Do you ever have anything positive to say? Seriously.

"CEJ sucks!"

-the informed masses.

Ole Canuck did say CEJ is an outstanding recruiter ....

"CEJ sucks!"

-the informed masses.

Yes, there is that. I missed that tasty nugget of corn hiding in the massive pile of BS I guess. :)

Reed is gonna be a beast, (as you and I said he would)

Haha, yes we did because we be smart like that. ;D

I'd say 'prescient', but whatever.

:dunno:

There's no "prescient" in football. Geesh, dang Brits. :slapfh:

"CEJ sucks!"

-the informed masses.

Ahhhh, yes. The "informed" masses, they of jumped to conclusions and notions conceived prematurely? Those "informed" masses? (Looking at you auburn4ever... :poke:/>, ;D/>)

Yes, there is that. I missed that tasty nugget of corn hiding in the massive pile of BS I guess. :)/>

I believe some here would only be happy if we pitched shutouts each week. Short of that Johnson has to go.

Just ignore the sad folks like canuck. So starved for attention, he doesnt care what kind of attention he gets. I always see the first line or two of what he says and skip right over. Always worthless drivel. Always.

Archived