Week 5 (Auburn vs. La Tech) - Tuesday Updates

RunInRed

Auburn held their weekly presser today. Updates from CGM and players, below ...

HC Gus Malzahn

"We're playing a very solid opponent in Louisiana Tech." Mentions that the defense "presents a lot of challenges."

Malzahn: "We have a lot more information about our strengths on offense than we did at this time last year."

Malzahn: "We have to be a team that gets better each week." Says that has to come through in doing "the little things" correctly.

Malzahn on Trovon Reed: "We're pleased with what he's done. ... He understands offenses and splits" and other things receivers understand.

Malzahn: "When we signed Rudy Ford, I thought he was a phenomenal running back. I think he could still be that."

@wareagleextra

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn on DB Rudy Ford: "You can see his confidence level rising every game. He's a playmaker on defense right now."

@AUGoldMine

Coach Malzahn says he takes responsibility for their mistakes vs. Kansas State.

Coach Malzahn: last year at this one we wouldn't have won that game (K-State), but our guys found a way to win.

Coach Malzahn says they're not trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to be perfect.

@melissaykim

Malzahn on La. Tech: "Defense presents a lot of challenges, a lot of multiple fronts, unique things on the back end

Malzahn on what Manny Diaz' scheme: "The different fronts, the afferent coverages behind the fronts and everything that goes along with it."

Malzahn on Roc Thomas: "As the season goes on he'll be more and more involved. … You've got to give them the opportunities to do his thing."

Malzahn credits strong wind and not getting into coverage lanes for issues on punt coverage vs. Kansas State.

Malzahn on Artis-Payne's success: "I just think it's a matter of him feeling more comfortable with the blocking schemes."

Malzahn on whether there's any issues w/ the sr. class: "You look at each individual case as a coach, but we have a good group of seniors."

Malzahn on the tough slate still ahead: "It's a man's schedule and we're going to take one game at a time."

@AUBlog

Malzahn on facing Manny Diaz defense/MSU in 2010: "They had a very good plan. They executed that plan".

Malzahn: Auburn practiced foundation plays "too many times to be making mistakes."

Malzahn: CAP's pad level has improved on 3rd & shorts

Malzahn: Could see other kickers "more and more" to take workload off Daniel Carlson

Malzahn: "I think we're definitely improved" on defense

Malzahn on recruiting a player accused of domestic violence: "There's no doubt, you don't go there."

@JamesCrepea

Malzahn says “we know who we are” as an offense. Auburn has to execute better.

“We’re not sounding a big alarm or anything like that,” Malzahn says about offense “But expectations are different this year."

Bottom line: “Our quarterback wins, he knows how to win,” Also says Marshall’s the best quarterback in the country with game on the line

@JoelAEricksonAU

Malzahn confirms that OG Jordan Diamond is out for the year. He had surgery recently.

@JayGTate

Gus Malzahn: Nothing has changed with Jermaine Whitehead, will not be allowed on sidelines Saturday.

@BMattAU

Malzahn received a text from Arkansas HC Bielema after K-State, says they get along better than most think.

@SheldonFox6

Malzahn on exchanging texts with Bielema: "We get along better than a lot of people think." He thinks Arkansas could be in top 20 soon.

@bmarcello

Josh Holsey

ByPDRGNIEAEQGbg.jpg

Josh Holsey's move from Auburn corner to safety last week "They believed in me to do that." He was named SEC defensive player of week.

Safety Josh Holsey says Tigers' solid performance at Kansas State "showed everybody that Auburn has a defense" as well an offense.

@AUGoldMine

Holsey said he wasn't aware of tackle numbers until after the game.

@JamesCrepea

Josh Holsey says he'll keep doing the job until Whitehead returns

@SheldonFox6

Josh Holsey on how fellow safety Jermaine Whitehead has handled his indefinite suspension: "He's handled it well. I talk to him every day."

@AUBlog

Jonathan Jones

"We talk every week about improving on defense. It was a game for us ... where we were able to get better."

Jones: "It's been a little rocky. ... I'm just looking at improving week-by-week."

Jones on Josh Holsey: "It was a quick turn over, but he's the guy for it. If anybody needed to be back there (at free safety), it's him."

Jones on Rudy Ford: "He's fast. He just flies to the football."

@wareagleextra

Auburn DB Jonathan Jones on playing non-conference Louisiana Tech: "You get ready for them the same way you get ready for LSU and Georgia."

@AUGoldMine

Interesting that he specifically says Whitehead will not be on the sidelines.

Its an odd situation obviously. Maybe it's almost over and things get back to normal.

That's not what Gus said. According to the tweet, he said, "CAP's pad level has improved on 3rd and shorts"

He said the opposite of what you're saying.

Malzahn on Artis-Payne's success: "I just think it's a matter of him feeling more comfortable with the blocking schemes."

IMO he's refering to something Tre Mason did extraordinarily well last year: knowing when to wait for the play to develop (believing in "blocking schemes") vs knowing when it's time to just plow ahead.

Malzahn made a comment about agreeing with a shotgun snap on 3d and short which sent the Clemson boards howling since they're clubbing Morris/Dabo about that call in the FSU game.

I can't wait to play them in a couple years, for many reasons including showing them the difference between 1980s mutli-option football (Morris) and Gusball.

Malzahn made a comment about agreeing with a shotgun snap on 3d and short which sent the Clemson boards howling since they're clubbing Morris/Dabo about that call in the FSU game.

I can't wait to play them in a couple years, for many reasons including showing them the difference between 1980s mutli-option football (Morris) and Gusball.

It does make sense, considering Gus sticks to shotgun. I'd trust my offense to pick up 3rd and short over getting under center in that tense situation. More likely to get a false start or bad snap.

Guys I think some of you may have a hangover from last season still. CAP has been excellent this year on third and short compared to last year when it was admittedly still a problem.

Have to agree the idea of our defense playing the way it did coupled with our offense returning to normal could be a scary combination.

Archived