La. Tech Game Report Card

StatTiger

Game #4 Statistical Evaluation (La. Tech)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: 6.56 pass

02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: 42.9% pass

03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: 5.29 pass

04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: 42.9% pass

05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: 28.6% pass

06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: 9.95 yards pass

07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: 100.0% pass

08) TD red zone above 60%: 75.0% pass

09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: 33.8 yards pass

10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: 54.3% pass

11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: 5 TD’s / 0 turnovers pass

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: 14.0 pass

13) At least 8 impact plays: 10 pass

14) At least 2 big plays: 4 pass

15) Pass rating of at least 125.0: 207.2 pass

Score: 15 of 15 (100.0%) Pass

* Big plays and impact plays made a huge difference, making up for the sputtering moments during the contest.

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: 5.59 pass

02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs: 27.8% pass

03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush: 3.18 pass

04) Score below 1/3 of possessions: 20.0% pass

05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%: 53.3% pass

06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: 6.17 yards pass

07) Score below 75% inside red zone: 75.0% fail

08) TD red zone below 60%: 50.0% pass

09) Avg under 30-yards per possession: 21.4 yards pass

10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: 22.0% pass

11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: 2 TD’s / 2 turnovers pass

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps: 34.0 pass

13) Less than 8 impact plays: 5 pass

14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: 3 fail

15) Pass rating below 125.0: 103.3 pass

Score: 13 of 15 (86.7%) Pass

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): 36.2 fail

2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): 0.0 pass

3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): 32.2 pass

4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): 29.5 fail

5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): 26.0 pass

6) PAT’s (100%): 6 of 6 pass

7) FG Pct (75% or above): 50% fail

*Bonus Point for Punt-Return TD

Score: 5 of 7 (71.4%) Pass

War Eagle!

Thanks Stat - great work as usual.

So people are whining and complaining about our offense yet we passed ALL FIFTEEN categories? Seems to me that 2013 has spoiled a lot of fans and any little sputter is blown way out of proportion.

So people are whining and complaining about our offense yet we passed ALL FIFTEEN categories? Seems to me that 2013 has spoiled a lot of fans and any little sputter is blown way out of proportion.

I'd hope the #5 team in the nation would pass all 15 categories against LaTech.

I believe StatTiger is cooking the books. NO way our qb rating is 207. Just ask the crowd in the game and post game threads. They will tell you good and proper Marshall is not that good.

Worse still, most of the complainers have selective memories about 2013 and apparently only remember the good stuff.

For most things in one's life, just remembering the good is the best way to have peace in your soul....but when talking football, if you want to live a contented life, it's better to have a comprehensive memory of the past....which often helps one to have realistic expectations....and thus you avoid the need to whine about every little thing that disappoints you. :) So enjoy the win.....and have a happy day.

PS....at least most people have gotten off the backs of the D...and have accepted that they are doing pretty well thus far.

I'd hope the #5 team in the nation would pass all 15 categories against LaTech.

We all would hope, but clearly you have no idea how rare that is....against ANY opponent.

Great info...I think we are used to getting a chunk of yards on 1st down, we did seem to struggle on first downs yesterday. So that would be the improvement needed. Overall, we can't complain much..

People are still expecting us to dominate running the ball after last year. We have to realize that was an anomaly. SEC teams averaging 300+ on the ground? Unheard of. As they said on the broadcast that was the first time in SEC history a team led the nation in rushing. No Mason, Prosch, Kozan, or Robinson. We will still average around 230 or so on the ground. Good enough to win a hell of a lot of ball games especially if Nick takes care of the ball like he has. WDE!

I was surprised we passed all categories in offense. It did feel like we were sputtering quite a bit, especially on first down; so the most surprising stat to me out of the bunch was that we averaged over 6 yards per play on first down. It sure didn't feel like it in the first quarter!

I agree with those who've said we're spoiled after last season's offense. I know I've been expecting an improvement over where we were last year. It's time for me to accept we won't be running the ball like that this season. Sigh. But I'm thrilled that the defense seems to be able to perform at a much higher level this season!

War Eagle! Beat LSU!

I was surprised we passed all categories in offense. It did feel like we were sputtering quite a bit, especially on first down; so the most surprising stat to me out of the bunch was that we averaged over 6 yards per play on first down. It sure didn't feel like it in the first quarter!

I agree with those who've said we're spoiled after last season's offense. I know I've been expecting an improvement over where we were last year. It's time for me to accept we won't be running the ball like that this season. Sigh. But I'm thrilled that the defense seems to be able to perform at a much higher level this season!

War Eagle! Beat LSU!

Britt... It may of seemed so but we got several 1st downs on 1st down. One example that threw me is we had the ball first at the beginning of the game,and immediately got a first down on first down. We then sputtered and had to punt after three more downs. LaTech gets the ball and they go three and out. Before the commercial Brent Mushmouth says something like. "Now both teams have gone three and out". I'm thinking is this guy watching the same game I'm watching?

This team could run the ball ALMOST as effectively as last year IF the offensive line was blocking. CAP is a capable back, Nick is a capable QB. Those two are not the problem. If we get proper blocking up front and limit further injuries, this team goes all the way. If not, we lose three. Minimum.

Be aware that some of us wring hands after wins against minnows AU absolutely punks because we're extrapolating sloppy play to harder opponents on our pending schedule. KState game caliber Auburn O against (pick any one of 4 or 5 upcoming SEC teams) is worrisome or not? It's good to be concerned with reference to upcoming schedule despite scoreboard, report card, etc.

Be aware that some of us wring hands after wins against minnows AU absolutely punks because we're extrapolating sloppy play to harder opponents on our pending schedule. KState game caliber Auburn O against (pick any one of 4 or 5 upcoming SEC teams) is worrisome or not? It's good to be concerned with reference to upcoming schedule despite scoreboard, report card, etc.

that is what im saying, reason why i was upset after that game, oly reason i can be upset over a blowout game

War Eagle! Beat LSU!

As fans we tend to focus on the negatives more so than the good plays. I know I have been guilty of this. The FSU game was a prime example. The focus at the end of the game was the 2-3 missed opportunities in the passing game. In reality, Marshall made 7 good impact plays in the passing game, which gave Auburn an opportunity to win.

Back to the La-Tech game.... 59% of the 32 plays on first-down gained at least 5-yards or more. The 2014 offense currently ranks 6th among the past 25 Auburn offenses with 6.55 yards gained on first-down plays. They are also 5th in yards gained rushing on first-down plays with 5.59 yards per rush.

War Eagle! Beat LSU!

As fans we tend to focus on the negatives more so than the good plays. I know I have been guilty of this. The FSU game was a prime example. The focus at the end of the game was the 2-3 missed opportunities in the passing game. In reality, Marshall made 7 good impact plays in the passing game, which gave Auburn an opportunity to win.

Back to the La-Tech game.... 59% of the 32 plays on first-down gained at least 5-yards or more. The 2014 offense currently ranks 6th among the past 25 Auburn offenses with 6.55 yards gained on first-down plays. They are also 5th in yards gained rushing on first-down plays with 5.59 yards per rush.

exactly stat...it only makes it worse by us losing in the the NC wrongfully so and the remaining schedule

War Eagle! Beat LSU!

After watching the game for a second time, I am of the opinion, AU didn't look as bad as I thought the first time. There were some simply terrible officiating calls, that really changed the flow of the game.

FIRST: The personal foul called on the kickoff at the end of the first half, without it, AU shuts them out in the 1st half!

SECOND: The Sammie Coats "no-call" pass interference, when he was smacked before the ball got to him, clearly while the throw was in the air, cost us another 7.

THIRD: The no-call, but obvious, off-side penalty when La Tech jumped on a AU 3rd down, that forced an AU punt, was a terrible no-call. Just watch the replay if you think I am exaggerating.

With even average "SEC Officiating" (which we didn't have at home, in a non-conference game) AU wins this one by 40 points or more!

Not trying to be critical but, no one has mentioned this after reading ST's stats. On special teams, it says we were 5 of 7 and passed. when I read it we were actually only 4 of 7. We need to get better punting the ball and covering punts, plus our kickoffs need to go through the endzone.

Archived