Week 6 (Auburn vs. LSU) - Sunday Updates

RunInRed

DC Ellis Johnson

Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson is now here. Starts off like he did last week: His unit needs to be "cleaner."

Johnson said linebacker Cassanova McKinzy didn't practice today and suffered a mild concussion.

Johnson on DaVonte Lambert: "His consistency is really starting to come about." Praises all the gains he has made.

Johnson on the pass rush: "I don't think we're any closer to developing a good four-man pass rush."

@wareagleextra

Auburn DC Ellis Johnson: "We're playing physical, playing with great intensity, but we still need to be cleaner. … Not satisfied."

Johnson said Cassanova McKinzy suffered possible concussion from getting kicked in the chin

Johnson uncertain is McKinzy would play Saturday vs. LSU: "We won't know at this time, he'll go through all the proper protocols."

Kris Frost is "day-to-day" per Johnson after a La Tech player fell on his left knee on Adams INT return.

Ellis Johnson on LSU QBs Anthony Jennings & Brandon Harris: "I'm anxious to sit down and study the film. Both kids are good athletes."

Johnson on the "cinco" 3-3-5: "It does put more speed not he field."

@AUBlog

Johnson: "I'm not satisfied, because we're making some mistakes that are unacceptable."

Johnson said Anthony Swain would start at MLB if McKinzy is unavailable for the LSU game.

@JFergusonAU

Ellis Johnson says Auburn’s production was good. Felt like the Tigers dropped 3 other turnovers.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Ellis Johnson: McKinzy and Frost each "day-to-day"

Ellis Johnson: DaVonte Lambert's improved the last two games, better fundamental things

@JamesCrepea

Johnson said confusion causes hesitation. Different look this year. Contributes to faster play.

Johnson said Frost was moving around some today

Johnson said DaVonte Lambert is playing at a high level right now.

Johnson said he has seen some good things from all of his back-up linebackers.

@ITATJason

Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson wants better play, but there's "still a lot to be pleased about."

Auburn D-coordinator Ellis Johnson says pass rush could be better. "I think we're starting find out how we're going to have to do it.

@AUGoldMine

OC Rhett Lashlee

Lashlee: "We were cleaner than we were against Kansas State, but we still struggled at times. Gotta continue to work."

Lashlee said having a receiver like Duke Williams will be important against the "long athletes" of LSU's pass D, which is No. 5 nationally.

@JFergusonAU

Lashlee: "Our guys know what's ahead of us is real."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee said his banged-up offensive linemen were at practice Sunday. "We're kind of day-to-day with those guys."

@AUGoldMine

Lashlee "we weren't very good on third down...we've got to get our guys in good plays"

Lashlee says LSU has talented players "they whipped us last year"

Lashlee says the offensive line "overall did well" despite having to make changes due to Patrick Miller's injury

Lashlee on Duke Williams "he's a competitor....he's ready to play each week"

@ITATJason

Lashlee: "We had a couple more negative plays than we've not had in the past. … better on 3rd downs because we've been ahead of the chains."

Lashlee on Brandon Fulse's performance at H-back so far: "It's probably like our offense, it's inconsistent.

Lashlee on switching Chad Slade & Avery Young at guard: "When they were in there, they did well.… It was just a change we thought was best."

Lashlee on Stanton Truitt: "Stanton's explosive... We're getting into a schedule where…they're 1 play away. It was good to get feet wet."

@AUBlog

Lashlee on Cameron Toney: "We're just in the early stages in trying to see whether he's a fit or not."

Lashlee on Stanton Truitt: "He's an explosive guy. ... He's just a great kid. He's really smart."

Lashlee on Sammie Coates' injury: "It's frustrating. .. It's just one of those things that we hope is going to progress each week."

@wareagleextra

Lashlee says Patrick Miller is day to day. Says Miller was out at practice.

@JoelAEricksonAU

DE DaVonte Lambert

"Each week, I'm feeling more comfortable with all of the plays."

Lambert on what coaches call his "high motor": "When I was younger, I would just run and not get tired...and this game is all about effort."

@JFergusonAU

OL Devante Danzey

... on seeing action when Pat Miller went down: "Reese just told me to rally behind him and play like we play at practice."

Danzey: "The first couple of drives, my adrenaline was running."

@AUBlog

The loss of both Casanova and Frost is concerning. But it does look like the defense held up well enough on Saturday, but going up against LSU, we really will need all hands on deck.

Side note, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be smarter to get some more plays in for Jeremy Johnson, he seems to fool the defenses when he's on the field.

I would like to see Jeremy play more. Both QBs can run the entire offense, but obviously each one has their different set of strengths. This will cause the D to have to adjust each time we switch QBs. The concern would be if swapping them up would disrupt the rhythm of the offense more than it would disrupt the rhythm of the defense. I would at least like to see.

I'm sure they have practiced this and Gus is going to do what he thinks gives us the best chance to win. Either he doesn't think it will work or he's waiting for the right time to do it. Either way, we'll see.

Johnson said confusion causes hesitation. Different look this year. Contributes to faster play.

The truth inherent in that quote cannot be understated, and is undoubtedly what contributes so much to the jump his defenses always seem to make in the second year of his system.

Archived