Week 6 (Auburn vs. LSU) - Tiger Talk

RunInRed

ByvWa1GCIAE2FPp.jpg

ByvWa6PCIAArQJq.jpg

HC Gus Malzahn

Malzahn: "We wanted to improve and there's a lot of areas we did."

Malzahn just gave an uncharacteristically long response to question of running game issues, said he's not concerned

Malzahn on Nick Ruffin: "He's got some natural football instincts. ... He's a very good tackler."

Malzahn: "I've still got a bad taste in my mouth from the LSU game last year. First half, we were embarrassing."

Malzahn: "it's definitely possible" for Peyton Barber to play more soon

@JamesCrepea

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn says the "sign of a good team is when each group complements each other." He said Tigers did that in Saturday's win

LSU vs. Auburn: "We know we're going to get their best. They're going to get our best. We're going to see who is better," says Gus Malzahn.

Auburn is 17th in the nation in rushing. "I don't think we can lose sight of that," says Gus Malzahn on Tiger Talk.

Gus Malzahn on if Kris Frost, Cassanova McKinzy will return from injuries: "Definitely hoping so... we need our best players on the field"

Stanton Truitt debuted Saturday: "He's just too good an athlete not to help us on special teams" and depth at receiver, says Gus Malzahn

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn on Adams' near Pick-6: "Montravius Adams looked like a running back going down there, he needs a little work on his ball security."

Malzahn on offense/defense: "Each group compliments each other, we did that a lot last year and I like the direction we're going this year."

Malzahn on "cinco" 3-2-6 package: "Its little ideas about putting pressure on and mixing some things up. It's been good for us."

Malzahn on soph. DT Montravius Adams: "He's an athlete, he's a big athlete."

Malzahn on rushing issues: "This past week there were a couple of execution breakdowns. … In every area, we need to improve." Points to OL.

Malzahn on OL coach JB Grimes and OL: "He's a great teacher. … We lost our left side of our line, … it just takes a little bit of time."

Malzahn on Sr. C Reese Dismukes: "He's like another coach on the field. … He's just that solid guy in the middle."

Malzahn on the tempo: "I think we did improve our tempo from Kansas St. … I thought our guys' urgency was better this week."

Malzahn on Marshall passing out of the pocket: "I've said for a long time, he's got such a strong arm. … He's solid when he gets outside."

Malzahn on young players being ready: "When you coach a long time you get instincts. When they're ready, you know it on the practice field."

Malzahn on the physicality of Auburn's WRs: "We've got some big strong receivers. I'd put our guys up against anybody."

Malzahn updates on Carl Lawson: "As far as Carl is concerned, his rehab's gone really well. We really haven't talked about coming back."

Malzahn on Nick Marshall being clutch in games: "He provides that real calmness and confidence that very few players really have."

Malzahn on WR Melvin Ray: "He's a guy that's really played well for us. … He's a guy that gives us a lot of depth."

Malzahn on LSU coming to the Plains: "I'm excited that it's going to be a night game at our place. I know our fans are going to be rocking."

Malzahn on the schedule: "We're fixing to enter the grind, and we know that." Points out the team doesn't look ahead/past current opponent.

Malzahn on LSU DC John Chavis: "He's very sound, he's one of the best in the business. … I've got great respect for him."

@AUBlog

First question for Malzahn, right off the bat, about Brandon Harris: “We recruited him, so we know a lot about him”

Malzahn on Harris: “He is mobile, but what stood out to me recruiting him is, he’s got an NFL arm.”

Malzahn on injuries: “We’re a little banged up. … We’ve got a lot of guys day to day, so we’ll have to see how the week goes."

Malzahn says he believes Auburn has a foolproof system of signals so other teams can’t figure them out.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Malzahn on points off turnovers: "Overall it's been very solid. Our defense has been very opportunistic. ... So far, so good."

Malzahn: "We've got the best offensive line coach (J.B. Grimes) in college football. It's not even close."

Malzahn: "We have to keep improving each week. I know I sound like a broken record."

Malzahn on Nick Marshall's passing: "He's got such a strong arm. ... He's done a good job protecting the football."

Malzahn on LSU: "Defensively, they look the same as they always have. .... Offensively, they're going to have them big linemen."

Malzahn asked about Montravius Adams (maybe) playing H-back. "He's a sophomore, so he has a little time. ... You never know."

Malzahn said Stanton Truitt has been battling a nagging hamstring injury. Otherwise, he would have played more this season.

@wareagleextra

Hmmm...Monty in a Fridge Perry type of goal line power package?

Archived