Spotlight on CAP - La. Tech

StatTiger

Cameron Artis-Payne might not be an "elite" RB but he is far from simply being average. His skill set is great vision, terrific lateral ability and quick feet. He doesn't possess game-breaking speed but he is a strong runner. The following play is a display of his skill set.

The play....

LT-CAP37run_zps6b3a8371.jpg

On this play Auburn has a 1st & 10 from their own 42-yard line. Focus on the 3 defenders with the "red" arrows to appreciate this run. After taking the hand off, CAP initially steps towards the A-gap but a LB is able to shoot through the gap. CAP is forced to bounce the play outside, utilizing a great cut to avoid being tackled in the backfield.

Just as he bounces outside he is faced with a CB coming off the edge unblocked. He immediately cuts inside of the CB, avoiding the second defender. Now CAP is face to face with the safety crashing down. He once again cuts outside with a stiff-arm to break away from a third tackler. The play results in a 37-yard gain.

Auburn coaches and CAP himself have stated he is a back that becomes more effective as his running attempts are extended. For the season, he has rushed for 152-yards during his first 10 carries of the game. This averages out to 3.8 yards per carry. His combined carries after his 10th rush attempt has totaled 316-yards or 6.87 yards per rush.

First 10 carries: 152-yards on 40 carries.

11th carry and on: 316-yards on 46 carries.

He has averaged 4.25 yards per attempt during the 1st quarter and 9.00 yards per attempt during the 4th quarter. His running style reminds me of Rudi Johnson, when it comes to his quick feet and lateral ability. Johnson was not a speed guy and was a patient runner not always bursting through gaps. The same can be said about CAP, though he appears to have a quicker burst to the hole than Rudi Johnson.

He is on pace for a 1400-yard season in 12 games, which average backs simply don't accomplish. Again, he is not an elite RB but he is certainly a major contributor to this offense and better than average as some have labeled him.

He really hasn't had much room to run earlier in games, either. I think his late game production might have a lot to do with defenses tiring and getting stretched out by offensive scheming as the game goes on, also.

I agree with the "above average but not elite" assessment. With our scheme and pace, I'd be absolutely shocked if his ypc didn't go up as the game went on.

He really hasn't had much room to run earlier in games, either. I think his late game production might have a lot to do with defenses tiring and getting stretched out by offensive scheming as the game goes on, also.

Very true. Also note the numbers "in the box." I see 8 with one walking in.

Archived