Week 6 (Auburn vs. LSU) - Gus Malzahn's Presser

RunInRed

Ryan Black video (via YouTube)

HC Gus Malzahn

Malzahn here. "We're about to start the meat of our schedule. Set to face a very talented LSU team."

Malzahn said all injured players (Patrick Miller, Cassanova McKinzy and Kris Frost) are still day-to-day.

Malzahn on Jermaine Whitehead's status: "Nothing has changed at this point."

Malzahn on Cameron Toney at H-back: "It's a possibility. ... There's a lot of moving parts there."

Malzahn says Scott Fountain approached Toney a few weeks ago about making the move and the redshirt freshman was fine with it.

@wareagleextra

Malzahn on Cam Toney playing H Back: “That’s a unique position … but he’s a smart young man."

Malzahn doesn’t seem concerned about DE LaDarius Owens’ injury. Sounds like he’s a go for LSU.

@JayGTate

Jermaine Whitehead is still suspended indefinitely. When asked if door is open for return, Malzahn declines to go into details.

@bmarcello

Auburn's Malzahn on LSU QB Brandon Harris: We know a lot about him. He's a very talented young man.

@jzenor

Malzahn: "Really it looks like the same LSU defense to me. They don't give up any cheap ones."/

Malzahn on injured RT Pat Miller and the OL: "We have a couple of different options. Of course we're hoping Pat will be back."

Malzahn on LSU: "You can turn the film on and if you didn't know year to year, it looks like the same old LSU team."

Malzahn points to YAC as a major thing he's liked about the run game.

@AUBlog

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on injured players: "Day to day with the guys who got injured. Hoping to get these guys back for the game" against LSU

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on improving each week: "We're ahead of that plan this year…"

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn says they have been focusing on getting better on third downs. Have to keep drives alive.

Malzahn says second half of LSU last year "was one of the defining moments of our season"

Malzahn on motivation from last year's loss "you can't get any more motivated than you already are"

@ITATJason

Malzahn: "we'll have a strategy for both (LSU quarterbacks)."

@JamesCrepea

"We're 4-0, and we've been able to run the ball well so far. We're in the top 20 in rushing." - Gus Malzahn

@TrackemTigers

C Reese Dismukes

Reese Dismukes on OL: "There's some mix-and-matching here or there. But whoever's out there we're going to continue to get better."

Dismukes on loss to LSU: "I think last year was a turning point in our season. … I think it was just a motivating factor for our team."

Dismukes on having never beaten LSU: "In the back of your mind, that's the only SEC team I haven't beaten. But it's about being 5-0."

Dismukes on gellin' like Magellan: "It's not too difficult. Obviously it's a challenge."

@AUBlog

Reese Dismukes says Devonte Danzey played well when thrown into the fire last week.

Dismukes says LSU's definitely line is "a pretty savvy group...a typical LSU defense"

Dismukes on the O-Line Play "we've done some good things...we just have to keep improving as a whole"

@ITATJason

Reese Dismukes says "chemistry" has been the most difficult aspect of changing personnel on offensive line

@JamesCrepea

DT Montravius Adams

Montravius Adams says he's been able to "help out other guys" now that he's a year into the system.

Adams says he's been thinking about last year's LSU loss "a lot." Says "I don't want that to happen" again.

Adams on working at end: "I haven't been there a whole lot. ... Wherever the team needs me, that's where I'll go."

@wareagleextra

With our linebacker's injuries i kinda expected Whitehead to get out of the doghouse.

He may be out of the doghouse and Malzahn is just holding his cards close. Or, he may not be back with the team until the coaches think he's learned his lesson, which is something they would have to gauge by his attitude and actions...and may mean we don't see him on the field as an Auburn Tiger again. :dunno:

With our linebacker's injuries i kinda expected Whitehead to get out of the doghouse.

He may be out of the doghouse and Malzahn is just holding his cards close. Or, he may not be back with the team until the coaches think he's learned his lesson, which is something they would have to gauge by his attitude and actions...and may mean we don't see him on the field as an Auburn Tiger again. :dunno:

Hope he's back. That's a long time to spend in the doghouse.

Maybe, if he had acted appropriately afterward. Choosing to attempt to show-up Gus in public was 10x stupider than an altercation (verbal and/or physical). THEN top it off with the flippant "mistake made, lesson learned" tweet, after being told not to mention it publicly again?!?! And he is a SR?

I hate it because I know he has worked hard, and is a good student. Let's see how the next week unfolds. But this should serve as an excellent lesson to the younger guys...

Be stupid + fix it = Will be okay; Be stupid + be stupid + be stupid = Might not be.

He may be out of the doghouse and Malzahn is just holding his cards close. Or, he may not be back with the team until the coaches think he's learned his lesson, which is something they would have to gauge by his attitude and actions...and may mean we don't see him on the field as an Auburn Tiger again. :dunno:/>

I personally like how Gus is handling it. It's none of our business really nor the media. And it sends a resounding message to the rest of the team IMO

I don't think the number of injuries at any position will influence Whitehead's term in the doghouse. The two things are not related.

Maybe, if he had acted appropriately afterward. Choosing to attempt to show-up Gus in public was 10x stupider than an altercation (verbal and/or physical). THEN top it off with the flippant "mistake made, lesson learned" tweet, after being told not to mention it publicly again?!?! And he is a SR?

I hate it because I know he has worked hard, and is a good student. Let's see how the next week unfolds. But this should serve as an excellent lesson to the younger guys...

Be stupid + fix it = Will be okay; Be stupid + be stupid + be stupid = Might not be.

What did JW do to show Gus up in public? I am not clear on many of the details of the story.

I don't think the number of injuries at any position will influence Whitehead's term in the doghouse. The two things are not related.

Let me rephrase this.

With our injuries at linebacker, i hope Whitehead has done what he needs to do to get back in good graces with the coaching staff.

The chances of what people think happened and what actually happened being the same is like 16%

I like this .. I like it a lot. Just not quite as snappy as 50/50, though. Still I hope it catches on.

The chances of what people think happened and what actually happened being the same is like 16%

I like this .. I like it a lot. Just not quite as snappy as 50/50, though. Still I hope it catches on.

87.6% of all statistics are made up, on the spot.

87.6% of all statistics are made up, on the spot.

But 16% of the time, it works all the time.

What were the chances of the miracle at Jordan hare and the kick six?

Player discipline should be independent of needs for players at any position or you will have no team discipline.

The consequences cannot be amended because you need a star. That is how a Jameis Winston was developed.

I actually think you've illustrated the beauty of Cole's Maxim. There's what people think happened (Auburn got lucky, according to ~84% of football fans) and what actually happened (Auburn found a way to win, according to ~16% of football fans).

Awww Britt you got to it before me!

Just trying to get the ball rolling. You can still post what you were going to say. The chances of what people think happened in this thread matching what actually happened are like 16%.

100% they both happened, so the chance of them happening had to be 100%

100% they both happened, so the chance of them happening had to be 100%

Looks like we got ourselves a bonafide Calvinist.

Archived