Coates

mom2kid

Can someone in the know comment about why Sammie Coates has played full games instead of resting his knee injury. He doesn't appear to be back full speed and is one of the reasons if not the reason he has not been as effective. Is there a reason he didn't sit out the last game? Just curious

Can someone in the know comment about why Sammie Coates has played full games instead of resting his knee injury. He doesn't appear to be back full speed and is one of the reasons if not the reason he has not been as effective. Is there a reason he didn't sit out the last game? Just curious

He did sit out the San Jose St game...he may not be 100%, maybe 85-90% but i'll take that and him being a threat than him sitting on the bench and Duke being double covered all night

I think with knee bothering him that they will switch him with Bray. Bray will run the streak plays,Coates will be used underneath and on screens

I like Sammie, but hands are not his strongest suit. I would imagine that the underneath receiver should be one that's got the stickiest fingers.

That said, his speed on the edge makes WR screens things of beauty.

I think part of the reason Sammie is playing (and obviously everyone, outside the coaching and medical staffs, is guessing) is that his knee is fine. His timing is just off. If you look at a guy like Derrick Rose (cross-sport analogy!), his knee is 100%, but his game and timing are not. That's why the Bulls were okay with him playing in FIBA this summer. They want him getting game reps because they aren't worried about the knee. They're worried about getting his feel back.

I think we're doing the same with Sammie. He had a mild sprain, sat out against SJSU, had an off week, then played against KSU. That's generally enough rest for the type of injury he had. Now, it's just a matter of getting him back in sync. Plus, he's generally a very good blocker. That wasn't true in the KSU game, but he was great last year. If we trust him as an edge blocker, he's going to be on the field, even if he's not generating the pass-catching stats we're accustomed to.

That's my take.

I think part of the reason Sammie is playing (and obviously everyone, outside the coaching and medical staffs, is guessing) is that his knee is fine. His timing is just off. If you look at a guy like Derrick Rose (cross-sport analogy!), his knee is 100%, but his game and timing are not. That's why the Bulls were okay with him playing in FIBA this summer. They want him getting game reps because they aren't worried about the knee. They're worried about getting his feel back.

I think we're doing the same with Sammie. He had a mild sprain, sat out against SJSU, had an off week, then played against KSU. That's generally enough rest for the type of injury he had. Now, it's just a matter of getting him back in sync. Plus, he's generally a very good blocker. That wasn't true in the KSU game, but he was great last year. If we trust him as an edge blocker, he's going to be on the field, even if he's not generating the pass-catching stats we're accustomed to.

That's my take.

That all makes sense to me. I saw somewhere that he was 100% healthy against La Tech. Clearly he wasn't 100% match fit, though, as soccer fans call it and as mcgufcm was saying (I think). Only way to truly be ready for games is to play in them.

It will be very interesting to see which LSU cornerbacks line up one which Auburn receivers. My thought is Robinson on Williams and White on Coates.

As an LSU fan, which aspect of Auburn's team worries you the most? / if you were coaching against LSU how would you attack?

It will be very interesting to see which LSU cornerbacks line up one which Auburn receivers. My thought is Robinson on Williams and White on Coates.

As an LSU fan, which aspect of Auburn's team worries you the most? / if you were coaching against LSU how would you attack?

Good questions.

What worries me most about Auburn is the ability to run the ball up the middle. Malzahn has no problem calling the same play over and over if it works and a simple zone read (give to the RB) up the middle could be trouble for our young defensive tackles. We had some uncharacteristic issues with it against Miss St.

Even though Auburn is an improved passing team, I would still try to force them to beat me with the passing game. I would move at least one safety into the box to stop the run and have my linebackers thinking run first. Yes, the two wide receivers are studs, but I have faith in White and Robinson who I feel are one of the best cornerback duos in college football.

I would be aggressive in stopping the run and try to force second & third and long. This will give up some big plays, but Auburn is going to score some points, so I am not as concerned with number of points, as I am # of stops.

He did sit out the San Jose St game...he may not be 100%, maybe 85-90% but i'll take that and him being a threat than him sitting on the bench and Duke being double covered all night

Gus Malzahn last week before taking on LaTech: "He's had a solid week of practice," Malzahn said. "Each day, he gets better and hopefully we'll have him close to 100 percent, if not 100 percent, by Saturday."

With all due respect to Gus, Sammie still looked about 80-85% and when speed is your biggest strength, a nagging injury can really throw you off your game.

Sammie is still hurting but he's playing through it. He can still get behind defenses even though he hasn't been all the way healthy. Make no mistake though he helps the entire defense even when we don't compete the down field throws because he still showed he can beat his man. He should be looked at as a warrior but he been getting quite a bit of hate

Whoa no one is dissing Sammy. I'm trying to understand the recovery process because clearly his speed is not there yet because of the injury and I was trying to understand if perhaps sitting out the last game would have been better. But I don't know the nature of the injury . I guess it's a moot point because we need him for LSU even at. 85%.

He has a knee sprain. Just like an ankle sprain, they are very tough to recover completely from. Likely he would have to sit out weeks to have full recovery. He is playing through it because a) we need him B) he's tough and is a team player c)it probably won't get better until seasons end anyway. It's one of those nagging injuries that's starts to feel better until you put a little strain on it or try to make a quick cut, etc

Whoa no one is dissing Sammy. I'm trying to understand the recovery process because clearly his speed is not there yet because of the injury and I was trying to understand if perhaps sitting out the last game would have been better. But I don't know the nature of the injury . I guess it's a moot point because we need him for LSU even at. 85%.

I didn't say that you were but if you searched Sammie Coates and read the posts you would see that actually quite a few are having things to say about him, that's why I spoke in general and didn't personalize with any names

He's just not playing the ball with a lot of physicality right now (jumping and laying out)…one throw from Marshall last Saturday, a deep ball, was on the money. If he attacks the ball instead of waiting on it, then it doesn't bounce off the defender's head.

He's just not playing the ball with a lot of physicality right now (jumping and laying out)…one throw from Marshall last Saturday, a deep ball, was on the money. If he attacks the ball instead of waiting on it, then it doesn't bounce off the defender's head.

Yup. I still think he could've caught that first "overthrow" from Marshall in the KSU game, for the same reason.

Yup. I still think he could've caught that first "overthrow" from Marshall in the KSU game, for the same reason.

Curious to know how you "overthrow" 4.18 speed. Think Sammie needs to get after it.

Curious to know how you "overthrow" 4.18 speed. Think Sammie needs to get after it.

Wait, Sammie Coates has 4.18 speed? I am not believing that. Trindon Holiday is the fastest player I have ever said and was high 4.2's at the combine I believe.

Wait, Sammie Coates has 4.18 speed? I am not believing that. Trindon Holiday is the fastest player I have ever said and was high 4.2's at the combine I believe.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Corey-Grant-and-Sammie-Coates-run-blazing-40s-28347071

http://247sports.com...ng-40s-28347071

I will wait for the NFL combine laser timed 40. I bet you neither run below a 4.3

I will wait for the NFL combine laser timed 40. I bet you neither run below a 4.3

We're waiting for the laser times at the combine, also. But you obviously haven't been paying attention to Auburn football. Corey Grant is at least Holliday fast, and Sammie's not far behind at all. Put another way, Corey Grant is Onterrio McCalebb fast. Remember him?

Most importantly, if Sammie's healthy Saturday, you'll get to see how fast they both are when it matters. Get ready for taillights.

http://247sports.com...ng-40s-28347071

If I'm betting money, im agreeing with you. I have seen video where he did sub 4.4 legit. Still... Calvin Johnson 4.35. Julio jones 4.39. Aj green 4.5.

Sammie is, and has been, hurt since prior to SJSU. So that's how you overthrow him.

I wonder sometimes, if people even read info about the team/players. The answer is pretty evident. He sat one game because of it already...

I would add, if Sammie is a half-step slower due to the injury or even just due to timing from the two-week layoff, that split second is the difference between a touchdown and an incompletion. Nick is used to throwing to full-speed Sammie Coates. It's a tough adjustment to make in the moment to dial it back. They'll find a rhythm. Both guys are too talented not to figure it out.

Archived