First Case of Ebola in USA

Raven_tiger

http://www.dallasnew...sis-in-u.s..ece

Not an issue, Obama released a statement saying that Ebola is not a virus therefore will not spread.

No travel restrictions from West Africa??? Really? Amazing. I guess Obama has more pressing issues to attend to such as: tee times, climate change and illegal alien amnesty... Who will he blame this time?

Not an issue, Obama released a statement saying that Ebola is not a virus therefore will not spread.

Link?

No travel restrictions from West Africa??? Really? Amazing. I guess Obama has more pressing issues to attend to such as: tee times, climate change and illegal alien amnesty... Who will he blame this time?

I agree on this. We shouldn't be letting anyone come into the country from West Africa, though even that is no guarantee we'd keep it out.

http://www.dallasnew...sis-in-u.s..ece

Regardless of how serious the situation may be, you just have to laugh.

Well played Raven. Well Played.

This is Comedy Central I tell you. In more ways than one. ;)

Right down the street from my sisters house.

Be interesting to see what would happen if he did restrict travel from Africa. Especially given that this is where many many many Christian organizations and Churches in the United States go and do missions. I'm sure if he were to do so that there would be a thread on this board titled "Do Democrats hate America, the Constitution, and God" Followed by so n so is now trying to restrict Americans their freedom to travel and spread Christianity to those that need and seek it. This is just another example of how democrats love Islam and ISIS and will do anything to see that their culture prevails. Etc Etc Etc.

Be interesting to see what would happen if he did restrict travel from Africa. Especially given that this is where many many many Christian organizations and Churches in the United States go and do missions. I'm sure if he were to do so that there would be a thread on this board titled "Do Democrats hate America, the Constitution, and God" Followed by so n so is now trying to restrict Americans their freedom to travel and spread Christianity to those that need and seek it. This is just another example of how democrats love Islam and ISIS and will do anything to see that their culture prevails. Etc Etc Etc.

Yep.

I don't think that it would be unreasonable at all to restrict travel to and from West Africa (Ebola Hot Zones). I think any *reasonable* person would support that.

Link?

TT never appreciated my humor...

They can go, but they may not be able to get back. There is a long history of quarantines of locations for public health reasons. Restricting travel from those locations in airliners where passengers are in cramped seating and using common restrooms has to be considered. The WHO people claim it can't be transmitted on a airliner person person, but do they really know?

They can go, but they may not be able to get back. There is a long history of quarantines of locations for public health reasons. Restricting travel from those locations in airliners where passengers are in cramped seating and using common restrooms has to be considered. The WHO people claim it can't be transmitted on a airliner person person, but do they really know?

Yeah, they've been studying this for quite a while. It's spread by bodily fluids. So if the person is starting to have symptoms and has a fever AND they vomit or cough in your face and it gets in your eyes for instance, then you could get it. It's not airborne, it's not even particularly easy to catch like a cold or the flu.

No issue, nothing to worry about ... Obama and the CDC said it's not a problem. Oh, wait, what? Dallas braces for second ebola case...

From the Dallas County Health and Human Services director:

"Let me be real frank to the Dallas County residents: the fact that we have one confirmed case, there may be another case that is a close associate with this particular patient," Thompson said Wednesday morning in an interview with local ABC affiliate WFAA.

"So this is real. There should be a concern, but it's contained to the specific family members and close friends at this moment."

http://thehill.com/p...ible-ebola-case

Is there anything that this administration touches that works? This was the easiest thing in the world to deal with and they've managed to screw this up too. Secure our border and protect our people before you do anything else...instead we get "no, it's not a problem...can't happen here...nothing to worry about"....the only thing that can't happen here is competent government.

Dear E.R. when someone comes in with symptoms and tells you they are visiting from Liberia, DO NOT send them home with antibiotics....

"Thomas Eric Duncan went to a Dallas emergency room Friday and explained that he was visiting the U.S. from Liberia. He was sent home with antibiotics, according to his sister, Mai Wureh.After his condition worsened, he returned two days later to the same ER at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital and was admitted."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EBOLA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-01-13-24-13

According to my sister, the guy with it lives in her neighborhood, this hospital is a couple miles down the street. She is on a hospital administration board so she knows whats being done, she isn't worried about it. In fact she is making fun of her husband for flipping out so bad.

According to my sister, the guy with it lives in her neighborhood, this hospital is a couple miles down the street. She is on a hospital administration board so she knows whats being done, she isn't worried about it. In fact she is making fun of her husband for flipping out so bad.

If she were on the plane with him or her kids went to school with children from the house where he stayed starting on sept 20, she might be more concerned.

Dear E.R. when someone comes in with symptoms and tells you they are visiting from Liberia, DO NOT send them home with antibiotics....

"Thomas Eric Duncan went to a Dallas emergency room Friday and explained that he was visiting the U.S. from Liberia. He was sent home with antibiotics, according to his sister, Mai Wureh.After his condition worsened, he returned two days later to the same ER at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital and was admitted."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EBOLA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-01-13-24-13

Healthcare rationing, your not sick enough yet. I wonder if the guy admitted at the hospital to carrying a person dying from Ebola in Liberia.

If she were on the plane with him or her kids went to school with children from the house where he stayed starting on sept 20, she might be more concerned.

Actually some were

http://foxct.com/2014/10/01/ebola-patient-in-texas-identified-came-in-contact-with-school-kids-in-dallas/

Yeah, they've been studying this for quite a while. It's spread by bodily fluids. So if the person is starting to have symptoms and has a fever AND they vomit or cough in your face and it gets in your eyes for instance, then you could get it. It's not airborne, it's not even particularly easy to catch like a cold or the flu.

The person now in Dallas from Liberia, rode in a taxi to the hospital with a woman dying of Ebola. The Liberian hospital was full so they took her home to die there. The person now in Dallas held the woman's legs as they carried her and he got infected probably from her sweat or her coughing. Then he jumps on a plane for Belgium, and then another plane to Dallas. We can't fight that behavior. we have to stop them from coming or make them sit in quarantine for a month. Quarantine is never going to work, where would you set it up?

The person now in Dallas from Liberia, rode in a taxi to the hospital with a woman dying of Ebola. The Liberian hospital was full so they took her home to die there. The person now in Dallas held the woman's legs as they carried her and he got infected probably from her sweat or her coughing. Then he jumps on a plane for Belgium, and then another plane to Dallas. We can't fight that behavior. we have to stop them from coming or make them sit in quarantine for a month. Quarantine is never going to work, where would you set it up?

CDC has quarantine stations. They check and will quarantine entire cruise ships (they inspect them in port). You refuel the plane and fly it to one of these stations.

Actually some were

http://foxct.com/201...kids-in-dallas/

And if everyone would educate themselves on Ebola, they would be less concerned. Ebola is not contagious before it becomes symptomatic. The Nigerian patient was not symptomatic on the plane, so no one on the plane was at risk. The children who came in contact with him after his symptoms occur were non-symptomatic when they attend school (And apparently still are, as of the linked article*), so no one at the schools was at risk. Sounds to me like your sister is the educated one in her family when it comes to Ebola.
*Five students at four different schools came into contact with the man, Dallas Superintendent Mike Miles added, but none has exhibited symptoms of the deadly virus. The children are being monitored at home, and the schools they attended remain open, Miles said.

Education is the best tool in fighting the spread of any disease. I am reminded of the early days when Aids/HIV first entered the national dialogue. I had some students who were absolutely convinced that only homosexuals were passing the virus sexually, and they had no concern whatsoever about the unsafe heterosexual promiscuity they practiced. But they were appalled by the idea that someone who was HIV-positive might sit next to them in class. ...panicking over the wrong things and ignoring the proper things due to ignorance.

The best strategy for combating Ebola right now is educating the populous and fast-tracking the pursuit of a vaccine.

[And of course, it would be wonderful if medical research can eventually discover an anti-viral drug that can be the "silver bullet" against almost all viruses in the way antibiotics have traditionally overcome almost most bacteria!]

Hoping everyone gets educated is a piss poor strategy. This guy deliberately got on a plane knowing he was exposed....and he lied to the inspectors. Human nature once again outsmarts well intentioned bureaucracy.

How about this; 90 day moratorium for anyone traveling or living in W Africa affected nations coming to the US until they've been thru a 21 day quarantine period. Evaluate and extend as needed every 90 days. At the point the epidimic is under control in W Africa, ease the restriction.

Hoping everyone gets educated is a piss poor strategy. This guy deliberately got on a plane knowing he was exposed....and he lied to the inspectors. Human nature once again outsmarts well intentioned bureaucracy.

How about this; 90 day moratorium for anyone traveling or living in W Africa affected nations coming to the US until they've been thru a 21 day quarantine period. Evaluate and extend as needed every 90 days. At the point the epidimic is under control in W Africa, ease the restriction.

These bureaucrats were the ones that told us it couldn't get here yet here we are. I know they don't want to cause a panic but frankly I'm not sure these people can be trusted to handle it right.

Politicians, Meh:

Obama remarks in 2005:

TOPIC: Healthcare & Health Issues

October 18, 2005

Avian Flu Remarks

U.S. Senate floor Washington, DC

Complete Text

We are continuing to witness the relentless spread of avian flu, carried slowly but predictably by wild, migratory birds from countries in Southeast Asia to Western China, to Mongolia, and then over the Ural Mountains into Russia and Ukraine. From there, avian flu has spread over the past week to Romania and Turkey, and we have just learned, possibly into Greece.

Dr. Joseph Domenech, chief of the Animal Health Service at the United Nation's Food and Agriculture Organization, has been quoted as saying that "...we are not surprised."

Mr. President, at this point, no one should be surprised. The experts have told us repeatedly that a flu pandemic is inevitable, although the timing is unpredictable. In other words, the question is not if, but when. This spread of avian flu is our warning signal, and we need to heed this call to action.

If we're lucky, we'll have at least a year, or perhaps several years, to prepare for a flu pandemic. But we might not be so lucky. And regardless of whether it is this particular strain of avian flu, H5N1, or another deadly strain, the time to act is long overdue if we want to prevent unprecedented human suffering, death, and economic devastation.

International health experts say that two of the three conditions for an avian flu pandemic in Southeast Asia already exist. First, a new strain of the virus has emerged to which humans have little or no immunity. Second, this strain has shown that it can jump between species.

The last condition--the ability for the virus to travel efficiently from human to human--has not been met, and it is the only thing preventing a full blown pandemic. Once this virus mutates and can be transmitted from human to human, we will not be able to contain this disease. Because of the wonders of modern travel, a person could board a plane in Bangkok, Athens, or Bucharest and land in Chicago less than a day later, unknowingly carrying the virus. Indeed, we learned this lesson from SARS, which moved quickly from Asia to Canada, where it led to many deaths.

As my colleagues know, one of my top priorities since arriving in the Senate has been increasing awareness about the avian flu. In April of this year, I introduced the AVIAN Act, which is a comprehensive bill to increase our preparedness for an avian flu pandemic. This bill was incorporated into a larger bill, the Pandemic Preparedness and Response Act, that Senator Reid and I introduced two weeks ago. We need to move this bill as quickly as possible.

We also need to provide more funding to purchase vaccines and antivirals and improve our ability to spot and isolate a pandemic as soon as it begins. In the spring and summer, I worked to secure $35 million in funding to fight the avian flu. Today, some of this money is already helping the World Health Organization to step up its international surveillance and response efforts.

But clearly much more money is needed. Last month, I joined Senator Harkin and others in offering an amendment to the DOD appropriations bill to provide almost $4 billion to fight the avian flu. I am pleased that Senator Stevens cosponsored the amendment and it was accepted into the appropriations bill. I hope that the House will agree to this funding in conference.

Although we have begun to step up to the plate in the Senate, it is unfortunate that none of the avian flu bills that have been introduced have passed into law. Frankly, there's been a lot of talk, but not enough action. And this isn't just true of the Congress.

One year after publishing the draft pandemic flu plan, the Administration has still not released the final HHS Pandemic Flu Preparedness Plan. Half of states haven't published plans either, and we know that many of these states will need substantial help.

This lack of planning is compounded by the fact that we still don't have a FDA approved vaccine against avian flu, and the one drug that many countries are relying on--Tamiflu--may be less effective than experts had thought. The manufacturer is also struggling to meet the demand, and it could take up to 2 years for it to make enough for the U.S. stockpile, presuming this Administration finally puts in an order for the drug.

I would ask my colleagues how many hearings and briefings that they have sat through where witnesses and experts have urged the United States government to be better prepared for these types of crises.

The failure to prepare for emergencies can have devastating consequences. We learned that lesson the hard way after Hurricane Katrina. This nation must not be caught off-guard when faced with the prospect of an avian flu pandemic. The consequences are too high.

The flyways for migratory birds are well-established. We know that avian flu will likely hit the United States in a matter of time. With the regular flu season coming up shortly, conditions will be favorable for reassortment of the avian flu virus with the annual flu virus. Such reassortment could lead to a mutated virus that could be transmitted efficiently between humans, which is the last condition needed for pandemic flu.

The question is will we be ready when that happens? Let's make sure that answer is yes. I urge my colleagues in the Senate and the House to push this Administration to take the action needed to prevent a catastrophe that we have not seen during our lifetimes.

Thank you. I yield the floor.

The problem is the Obama administration has no credibility and has demonstrated an uncanny ability to underestimated just about everything.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2778022/UN-Ebola-chief-raises-nightmare-prospect-virus-mutate-airborne.html

http://hosted.ap.org...-10-01-13-24-13

He also failed to mention that he helped his landlord and landlord's pregnant daughter (who had ebola and died 1 day later) take the daughter to a hospital and back. Landlord died a day after his daughter did. Four days later Duncan hops a plane for Dallas and medical treatment. If he lives he should be charged in this country for knowingly endangering people.

Archived