Current SEC coaches with winning records vs Auburn

aucanucktiger

My research shows only three, yes?

Miles is 7-2, Richt is 7-5 and Spurrier is 10-7 (10-2 at UF, 0-5 at South Carolina). Need to start cleaning things up against the Hat.

fwiw, Saban is 6-6 (2-3 at LSU and 4-3 at Bama). Media darling Sumlin of course didn't get 'er done against us in Aggieland last year so he's 1-1. Urban Meyer went 0-3 against Auburn, including losing to us by 10 points in Gainesville for the first of his two backed-into national titles.

Richt is 8-5 against Auburn. UGA won in 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2012.

Spurrier was 10-3 against Auburn at Florida. We beat Florida in 1993, 1994, and 2001. So he's 10-8 overall against Auburn.

Chavis seems to have an answer for Malzahn which helps

He's only faced Malzahn when Gus was playing with a full deck twice (at least in Gustav's time at Auburn), and he's 1-1 in those games. 2010 took a Herculean effort from Cam Newton to win, but last year's monsoon in the first half proved to be the difference in the game.

Of course, Chavis generally has an answer for anything that gets thrown at him, so it's not that surprising he has fared well.

We ran for 440 yards in 2010. I'm not sure Chief really had things "figured out" back then. Last year, it was a tale of two halves. I think Chavis is great, but I generally think it's silly to say one coach has the other "figured out." LSU had better players and teams in 2009 and 2011. Last year, we didn't know what we were when we played LSU. It's really as simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't start a new thread so I thought I would put this here. (Guess those of us who have lurk but don't post often are not trusted :)) Anyway, my question is, do you think Gurley's suspension for the rest of the year (http://www.saturdayd...mainder-season/) give Richt the out he needed to keep his job another year even though they have under performed yet again this year? I mean every year they have a top 5 or top 10 recruiting class and every year they are expected to win the SEC. And yet every year they have some excuse to not accomplish anywhere close to the level of talent they have on the roster.

I can't start a new thread so I thought I would put this here. (Guess those of us who have lurk but don't post often are not trusted :)) Anyway, my question is, do you think Gurley's suspension for the rest of the year (http://www.saturdayd...mainder-season/) give Richt the out he needed to keep his job another year even though they have under performed yet again this year? I mean every year they have a top 5 or top 10 recruiting class and every year they are expected to win the SEC. And yet every year they have some excuse to not accomplish anywhere close to the level of talent they have on the roster.

No, I think the other backs in their stable are quite capable and the east is in shambles at this rate Kentucky might win the east

IMO Richt's survived the roller coaster long enough where he'll really have to have a dreadful season to get booted. He enjoys "Bobby Bowden like" treatment by the media, making him teflon in the eyes of UGA alum with these suspensions. One of the few things Georgia fans have in common with Tenn, UF, FSU & Auburn fans is fan grumbling but eternal optimism/delusion so long as the head coach fosters hope of a national title: keep the shelf stocked with talent, win in double digits most seasons and win your share of games against the traitional rival(s). Richt is gunning for 4 in a row against the Gators (& see his record against us, above), he's recently had UGA moments against Bama away from a national title game and his recruiting is top shelf - if not smarmy.

If UGA fires Richt I think it will have a Tuberville --> Chizik, Fulmer --> Kiffin/Dooley, type of effect. Sometimes, fans don't know how good they have it until they let go of their coach with an impressive track record of success. It has taken UT a decade to START to recover.

We are the extremely lucky case there in that we got Cam Newton to give Chiz one season of non-mediocre results.

If UGA fires Richt I think it will have a Tuberville --> Chizik, Fulmer --> Kiffin/Dooley, type of effect. Sometimes, fans don't know how good they have it until they let go of their coach with an impressive track record of success. It has taken UT a decade to START to recover.

We are the extremely lucky case there in that we got Cam Newton to give Chiz one season of non-mediocre results.

...and don't forget the Chizik years introduced us to some dude name of Gus...

Does K.Smart become the front runner for the job if it should come open or do they possibly come after Boom even with his struggles at UF? I think they could do far better than either of these. UGA is a very attractive job even for coaches that are established.

To me I think Smart is sticking in Bama till he gets fired or Saban retires and he takes over. I mean why would he leave. Bama "prides" themselves on their D and he is the D coordinator. Even though you and I all know that Saban is the real brains behind that D and the one directing it. If he sticks it out, the bama-nation will plead to have him as HC because of time he has been there.

I do believe UGAy is a great job. They have a lot of talent; they get the publicity of the SEC but it is only the SEC East so you should be in contention every year; and though I hate most of them that I have ever met, they have a very loyal fan base.

Well it depends on which way you'd rather have taken..the historically worse years of post 2010 and the one national title that parlayed into Malzahn or something else

interesting question never the less

To me I think Smart is sticking in Bama till he gets fired or Saban retires and he takes over. I mean why would he leave. Bama "prides" themselves on their D and he is the D coordinator. Even though you and I all know that Saban is the real brains behind that D and the one directing it. If he sticks it out, the bama-nation will plead to have him as HC because of time he has been there.

I do believe UGAy is a great job. They have a lot of talent; they get the publicity of the SEC but it is only the SEC East so you should be in contention every year; and though I hate most of them that I have ever met, they have a very loyal fan base.

I doubt that. I think after they got burned by Dubose they won't go that route. They will go find another head coach somewhere. Kirby would do himself a huge favor by going somewhere else where the pressure to win isn't so great. He needs to learn how to be a head coach and a place like Alabama is not where you want to start your training. I don't care who you worked under or for how long. Until you have actually had to be the one calling the shots and making all those decisions a head coach has to make you just can't know what it is like. Even Gus, with all his years as a high school coach, really benefited from his year at Arkansas State.

According to this site: http://football.stas...n&team2=Florida we are 2-0 against Meyer at Florida. That's how I remember it too.

Thanks, looks right.

Of course that site also ignores any Auburn vs Alabama games before 1902, making the series record much more in Bama's favor - I actually remember when Howell oddly took our 1890s domination over Bama out of his "data" about 5 years ago. Bottom line, Meyers still has a losing record vs, and has never beaten, Auburn.

Well it depends on which way you'd rather have taken..the historically worse years of post 2010 and the one national title that parlayed into Malzahn or something else

interesting question never the less

Well, I will choose to compare it to UF & UT's situations... Yes, AU suffered a mediocre year, followed up by a horrendous year, but unlike our fellow SEC brethren, the spirit of Auburn demonstrated it's ability to take chicken$@ and make chicken salad out of it. And not just any old chicken salad but chicken tender salad with honey-mustard!!!

According to this site: http://football.stas...n&team2=Florida we are 2-0 against Meyer at Florida. That's how I remember it too.

Thanks, looks right.

Of course that site also ignores any Auburn vs Alabama games before 1902, making the series record much more in Bama's favor - I actually remember when Howell oddly took our 1890s domination over Bama out of his "data" about 5 years ago. Bottom line, Meyers still has a losing record vs, and has never beaten, Auburn.

You are correct about his AU/UA list being incomplete, which works entirely in UAT's favor. Makes me wonder how much else is wrong on that site.

Thanks, looks right.

You are correct about his AU/UA list being incomplete, which works entirely in UAT's favor. Makes me wonder how much else is wrong on that site.

Who is Howell?

Archived