Affordable Losses?

WFE12

At this point now i ask, what games do yall think we can afford to lose? I would love to go undefeated but that would be very challenging, but still possible.Will it not matter cuz of the other teams we play, if there is one i'd say texas a&m. I know other teams' poll rankings will matter but there are some teams that you can pretty much say will stay unranked or lowly ranked when we play them like south carolina...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another way to phrase it is which team can we lose to and it hurt us minimally due to us being the loser in a tie breaker scenario with them. I, too, think its too early to tell before the West plays each other. BUT as it stands at this very moment, I would say it is actually LSU because they already have a conference loss, meaning if they lose just one additional conf game and AU wins out then AU will not have to worry about losing a tie breaker to them. This answer would probably change from week to week I would think because of the crazy shifts in the standings that are about to occur.

Depends upon what you mean by "affordable". Auburn could afford to lose to either South Carolina or Georgia and still have a solid chance at making the playoffs, because winning all of the other games would still put us in the SECCG with one loss (since we'd hold the tiebreaker over any team from the West with one loss, being that it would have necessarily been to us), and then winning the SEC with one loss would put us in the playoffs.

Beyond that, the only way any other loss could be considered affordable is if things line up correctly so that we still win the West and play for the SEC Championship. LSU seems ripe for fitting into that category, as they would need only lose to one other SEC team in order for us to be ahead of them in the standings. That having been said, I for one do not want to even entertain the notion thereof, because aside from the national championship season, we haven't beaten them since 06, and that just doesn't sit well with me.

any of yall think we win every single game in regular season AND playoffs?

Nope. All of the teams have flaws, but our flaws are in what is supposedly the team's strongest area.

I will say that if the O-line steps up and the teams stays healthy then AU can run the table.

this weekend will tell the tale for me. I am as concerned about this injuries as anything else. That will be the crucial factor

Nope. All of the teams have flaws, but our flaws are in what is supposedly the team's strongest area.

I will say that if the O-line steps up and the teams stays healthy then AU can run the table.

Gonna be hard with injuries already piling up - We have a toughest stretch of all conference teams starting in 3 days.

I don't see a team in the country we can't beat, but of course that doesn't mean we will beat them all.

Any Auburn fan who doesn't think we can might want to think about turning in his/her orange and blue...but I have severe doubts about whether or not we will win them all. As mentioned, the offensive line has to come together to form a cohesive unit for that to happen. I also think Nick Marshall and Cameron Artis-Payne will have to shore up any issues with the exchange on zone read plays, thereby maintaining the constant run threat Nick poses, in order to open the passing game against some of the best defensive teams in the country. And we'll have to fight through injury concerns, both those existing now and those that will likely come up later on, too.

However if those things happen, which is plenty conceivable, then I think we have as good a shot as anyone in the SEC to win out.

I understand what you are asking. I just don't think we can lose any games and still make the playoffs. I hope I am wrong if we should lose one.

I understand what you are asking. I just don't think we can lose any games and still make the playoffs. I hope I am wrong if we should lose one.

I think losing one would not kill any hopes of making the playoff, provided we are the conference champion.

The only loss we could absolutely absorb would be UGA...and then beating them in the SECCG. That would make us SEC champs with one loss to a team we in turn beat. Anything else would be a crapshoot.

No chance that a one loss SEC Champion doesn't make the playoffs. Period.

If you had an undefeated FSU, Nebraska, Oregon/UCLA, and Oklahoma/Baylor I'll bet the committee would do it in a heartbeat.

If you had an undefeated FSU, Nebraska, Oregon/UCLA, and Oklahoma/Baylor I'll bet the committee would do it in a heartbeat.

I am sorry who has Nebraska played? Their SOS is ~90th and it doesn't get much better

Archived