Mississippi State has the best chance to win the west

eibua12

This is a pretty solid write up. not posting the whole article too much so read it

http://www.sbnation....projection-2014

70+% games: Mississippi State 3, Georgia 3, Alabama 2, Missouri 2, South Carolina 2, Tennessee 2, Auburn 1, Florida 1, LSU 1, Ole Miss 1, Texas A&M 1, Arkansas 0, Kentucky 0, Vanderbilt 0

Mississippi State already has the LSU win in its pocket. It gets Kentucky on the road and Vanderbilt and Arkansas at home. That group gives the Bulldogs four likely wins. That means they would only have to split the four other games -- Texas A&M, Auburn, at Alabama, at Ole Miss -- to get to 6-2.

Meanwhile, look at a team like Auburn. The Tigers host LSU this Saturday and South Carolina and Texas A&M in future weeks. None of those is a slam dunk, though with South Carolina's iffy play, Auburn currently has about a 73 percent chance of winning that one. But the Tigers also face road trips to Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Alabama, and the East's best team (by the numbers), Georgia. That's brutal.

Auburn and Mississippi State are almost even in the F/+ ratings, but MSU's win probability is quite a bit higher, and it's obvious why.

(One last thing: Alabama is the No. 1 team in the country and now has a lower-than-50 percent chance of winning two particular games. This is a ridiculous division.)

Mississippi State beat the first team they played with a pulse, which was their fourth game, and they've quickly become the Cinderella story in the West. Beating LSU in Tiger Stadium is certainly a big deal, but that one game is far from enough to start making predictions.

I like how the article considers the improved Arkansas and a road game with a scrappy Kentucky team to be all but guaranteed wins. The next two games against A&M and Auburn can be easily lost, then there's the later matchup with Alabama and Ole Miss. This may indeed be the year for Mississippi State, but no one has seen enough of any team in the West to be making anything resembling reasonable predictions.

Well, if SBnation says so, it must be true. BTW, what is with all the crappy threads popping up on this site in recent days?

Talent wise I do think Miss is a top 3 team in the west and capable of winning the west. My major question regarding them is can they handle the pressure and the big stage and win the big games. This is all new for them. We shall see but I certainly think Miss St. is worth the hype a lot more than what Ole Miss is receiving.

I like Miss St getting all this press. They've never been there before so its setting them up nicely to fall flat on their faces. It could be wishful thinking on my part though, they looked really good in the first bit of the LSU game.

I like Miss St getting all this press. They've never been there before so its setting them up nicely to fall flat on their faces. It could be wishful thinking on my part though, they looked really good in the first bit of the LSU game.

They did look really good...but they also gave up over 500 yds of offense to UAB so TIFWIW.

MS is a one man show. Dak Prescott is the real deal. But.....If he is injured they will fold like a cheap tent. He runs a lot. I would not be surprised to see him get a little banged up during the course of this season. Unlike Sate. If NM get banged up we roll with JJ never missing a beat. I like our chances better than theirs.

Mississippi State beat the first team they played with a pulse, which was their fourth game, and they've quickly become the Cinderella story in the West. Beating LSU in Tiger Stadium is certainly a big deal, but that one game is far from enough to start making predictions.

I like how the article considers the improved Arkansas and a road game with a scrappy Kentucky team to be all but guaranteed wins. The next two games against A&M and Auburn can be easily lost, then there's the later matchup with Alabama and Ole Miss. This may indeed be the year for Mississippi State, but no one has seen enough of any team in the West to be making anything resembling reasonable predictions.

Yeah, the article talks as if everyone has a much harder road and will likely lose, yet MSU will likely win. MSU has a lot of issues. They do have Dak, I will admit that, but there are much more talented teams in the West than MSU. And of course you have to factor in who their coach is...Mullen...and that alone says...nope, not happening.

MS is a one man show. Dak Prescott is the real deal. But.....If he is injured they will fold like a cheap tent. He runs a lot. I would not be surprised to see him get a little banged up during the course of this season. Unlike Sate. If NM get banged up we roll with JJ never missing a beat. I like our chances better than theirs.

Same applied to us with Cam so it's possible. Not saying they will but i do think they'll be one of the teams fighting to win the west.

Yeah, the article talks as if everyone has a much harder road and will likely lose, yet MSU will likely win. MSU has a lot of issues. They do have Dak, I will admit that, but there are much more talented teams in the West than MSU. And of course you have to factor in who their coach is...Mullen...and that alone says...nope, not happening.

This is spot on. Dak is legit, but Mullen is a terrible coach. Mistake finishes (at best) fourth in the West.

Same applied to us with Cam so it's possible. Not saying they will but i do think they'll be one of the teams fighting to win the west.

That's not true. We had a veteran offensive line in 2010. We had a running back in Mike Dyer that also went for over 1,000 yards, McCalebb went for over 800. He also had a great group of WR's to throw to that included Darvin Adams, Terrell Zachery, Emory Blake, Kodi Burns and Phillip Lutzenkirchen. Auburn in 2010 was anything BUT a one man team.

Until MSU actually wins a big game, they are 4th best in the division

That's not true. We had a veteran offensive line in 2010. We had a running back in Mike Dyer that also went for over 1,000 yards, McCalebb went for over 800. He also had a great group of WR's to throw to that included Darvin Adams, Terrell Zachery, Emory Blake, Kodi Burns and Phillip Lutzenkirchen. Auburn in 2010 was anything BUT a one man team.

Until MSU actually wins a big game, they are 4th best in the division

They have those same type of guys on there team...Dak is the clear cut leader just like Cam. We lose Cam...we would've been screwed..Period. Just like if they lose Dak...they're screwed. It doesn't apply to us this year b/c we do have JJ but it's no big difference with Miss St. and us in 2010. I know many have zero respect for the Miss schools and i get that. I'm not putting Miss St on a pedistol...just calling it like it is. I just some like to be in denial that they can actually win the West. Not saying they will but yes they can. And i've also been on record in stating i'd like to see how they handle the big stage b/c they've never been in that position in recent history. They got the job done today so let's see how they do next week.

After watching them yesterday vs. aTm, it's safe to say that cowbell will contend this year.

This is definitely not the MSU of yesteryear....or even last year.

Archived