Why do football announcers

TexasTiger

I'm fine with them dressing nice--why not? The real question is why Al Golden wears a tie on the sidelines in South Florida.

Maybe this fit's here....You'd think Jesse Palmer could at least afford to buy one from a tailor. His hand me down or pre-growth spurt fit is so look at me bad.

...even need to be there? I've been to many games in my life and with the aid of the stadium PA announcer I've always had a pretty good idea of what was going on. Frankly, I wish there were an alternative channel offered where you could just watch the game with nothing but the sound of the actual atmosphere of the game and maybe some graphics to update yardage, etc. There are so few GOOD TV announcers anymore...

...even need to be there? I've been to many games in my life and with the aid of the stadium PA announcer I've always had a pretty good idea of what was going on. Frankly, I wish there were an alternative channel offered where you could just watch the game with nothing but the sound of the actual atmosphere of the game and maybe some graphics to update yardage, etc. There are so few GOOD TV announcers anymore...

Didn't ESPN do something like this for some big game broadcast at one point. Seems like they had about 8 different offerings of one game one time.

Didn't ESPN do something like this for some big game broadcast at one point. Seems like they had about 8 different offerings of one game one time.

Yes, there are certain games where they offer (usually online) different angle alternatives which can be neat, in small doses.

Actually, many years ago... Ray Perkins was still the coach of the New York Giants.... there was an experimental game (CBS maybe?) where they did that during an NFL game between the Giants and I don't remember who. Showed the entire game as they normally would but with no announcers. But, of course, they claimed nobody liked it.... But I remember it being pretty cool. I think game atmosphere enhances the enjoyment of the game...but that could just be me, I admit.

Why do managers in baseball wear uniforms?

That's a better question... :dunno:

LOL seriously. They look like clowns wearing pajama like uniforms. LOLOL old men shouldn't be wearing those, it looks so silly

LOL seriously. They look like clowns wearing pajama like uniforms. LOLOL old men shouldn't be wearing those, it looks so silly

YEAH they do! Growing up a Braves fan, I loved Bobby Cox in the '90's but watching him waddle up to the pitchers' mound with those bad hips in full uniform...

But I guess, after all these decades, it would now look pretty weird for a manager walk up to the mound in a suit and tie also... :-\

Correct me if wrong...Until Tommy Tuberville, Every AU HC wore a Tie on the sideline............

If my memory serves me correctly that was started back in the days when managers were players as well. That was a common practice in the long ago era of sports. I remember Pete Rose did that and I believe Bill Russell did the same thing with the Celtics. It would seem to me to be a better idea to let them wear polo shirts or something along that line now. I still remember chuckling while watching Lasorda waddle out to the mound when he had to make a pitching change.

Correct me if wrong...Until Tommy Tuberville, Every AU HC wore a Tie on the sideline............

I think that was the style for all football coaches up until the late 90s

In the NFL coaches are now not allowed to wear suits and ties to games. Its all about wearing the licensed team apparel.

for the TV cameras.

Some NCAA football coaches wear ties, most do not. NCAA basketball is the exact opposite. The basketball coaches almost all have a least a jacket and tie if not a suit.

Some do wear polo type shirts or sweaters. Bobby Knight wore a jacket and tie when he was younger , but changed. I think it was easier to throw chairs without a suit on....

59c5ca55aa862768f7165c36612d35e3.jpg

Times have changed....back in the day, just about every football coach wore a suit and nobody had heard of "casual Friday"...which became casual every day of the week.

As for baseball,....one thing to consider is that managers and coaches are part of the game on the field during a game...and being in the team uniform makes it easy to distinguish who is who for base coaches and players. Baseball is about the only sport where coaches and managers are an active part of the game and pretty constantly interact with their players on the field. ...so uniforms seem appropriate.

Otherwise, good that football coaches don't wear uniforms....can you imagine Chip Kelly standing in front of a couple huge linemen chewing them out while wearing his team uni? ....the players would not be able to keep from laughing at him.

It was the BCSNCG this past year, and maybe the year before that.

Baseball managers/coaches are required to be in uniform per the rule book. Why -- who knows? Like someone said, it's probably a holdover from the days of player/coaches, and it's an appearance thing at the professional level. I umpire a lot amateur baseball games but that rule is rarely enforced -- usually only in a tournament game and only if one team makes an issue out of it.

I unplug my center channel speaker when I watch Auburn Games on CBS for exactly that reason. I can't stand to hear them talk.

I unplug my center channel speaker when I watch Auburn Games on CBS for exactly that reason. I can't stand to hear them talk.

Ah, so surround sound would help. Unfortunately, I just have ye ole 2 channel stereo. Thing's almost 20 years old but still pumping (nice speakers, at least). Maybe it's time to upgrade.

Works for me. I don't have to listen to those two morons prattle on. Gary at least knows football even if he fan boys and sticks to one subject for way too long. I just hate listening to those guys. I really hate that CBS still gets first pick of games. I generally like the ESPN guys better.

YEAH they do! Growing up a Braves fan, I loved Bobby Cox in the '90's but watching him waddle up to the pitchers' mound with those bad hips in full uniform...

Cox also wore metal spikes until the day he retired. Walking down the tunnel, that's like putting a seventy year old man on ice skates. Seriously crazy, but also seriously badass.

Bobby_Cox.jpg

One network (I can't remember which one) tried that approach several years back and it was not well received. I remember watching a game that way (it may have been an NFL game, Monday night football, I think?) and it just didn't feel right. The fans didn't like it and the networks quickly brought back the announcers.

Maybe this fit's here....You'd think Jesse Palmer could at least afford to buy one from a tailor. His hand me down or pre-growth spurt fit is so look at me bad.

Ha!! I agree. Palmer's suit is always about two sizes too small and his 1950's ties drive me crazy. I bust out laughing everytime.... ;D

I have some friends that turn down their television and play the radio. I haven't tried it yet so i'm not sure if it would be in sync though..

I have some friends that turn down their television and play the radio. I haven't tried it yet so i'm not sure if it would be in sync though..

That is what I do now. I use that Auburn Ap on my laptop and since I'm on xfinity, I can just pause the tv until the radio call catches up and once done I can listen to Rob and Stan. THAT is the best way to do it for sure.

Archived