Nick Ruffin

Tampa Tiger

Can we please stop quoting quotes of quotes of another quote about another quote? This thread is unreadable to those not quoting 17 freaking quotes. I haven't read it but I'm sure the discussion is interesting. I'll never know because I refuse to read through 12 quotes, then 13 quotes, and then 14 quotes. It never ends until the serial quoters stop talking. /rant

I agree.

Some boards have a limit on how many quotes can be nested within each other.

I agree.

Because

I

hate

scrolling

:).

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a thought, why not just focus on tackling the guy and not worry about knocking him into next month.

That was probably more common in the day of leather helmets and no face masks.

Here's a thought, why not just focus on tackling the guy and not worry about knocking him into next month.

That was probably more common in the day of leather helmets and no face masks.

My point was that Ruffin's hit was overly aggressive. The refs and review both agreed with that. I thought most people would be able to interpret that from the "into next month" part of my post. Obviously, I overstimated some people.

It's not like I said don't knock the crap out of people. Just stay away from the hits where it looks like you are going for the kill. Note to the unobservant: I am not trying to say Ruffin was trying to kill anyone, it's just a figure of speech.

People like to get on television and those big hits always made the highlight reel and got them on sportscenter. Kids saw the NFL players doing it and it trickled down to where fundamental tackling wasn't being done anymore. I still remember the hit Carlos Cheatham put on Reggie Cobb. It was a hard hit that rocked Cobb but it was still an excellent fundamental tackle. He didn't go high and get anywhere near the head.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was agruing with and LSU fan that Nick wasn't headhunting and played with the youtube video here is the best I could do. Notice the ball has NOT hit the ground Nick is in great position until the receiver dips down and Nick uses his arms

eclwo5.jpg

I know it's been a few days, but this is the best explanation I can give.

1) "Notice the ball has NOT hit the ground"

While this may initially look like "oh, Nick timed that perfectly!", the fact of the matter is that the receiver is still a defenseless player at this point. He does not have time to protect himself from being hit after going up for the ball. Now, it won't matter if he is a defenseless player if Nick makes a solid, legal tackle, but we'll get to that in a minute.

2) "Nick is in great position..."

As far as where he is on the field, breaking on the ball, reading the QB, you are exactly 100% right. Nick showed great instincts to get to the receiver right when he would have been catching the ball, in a position to potentially knock that ball out. Again, all of this is dependent on Nick making a solid, legal tackle.

3) "...until the receiver drops his head"

This is where I think your argument starts to fall apart. Whether or not the receiver dropped his head, Nick still went into this tackle WAY too high.

I've created an imgur album with screenshots from the hit that can be found here. Hopefully you find this useful. Even though Nick did not lead with his head, he did hit a defenseless player high while leading with his shoulder, which is a violation of the targeting rule. It was without a doubt a call that was at least questionably targeting, in which case the referee has to throw the flag.

Doesn't look to me from the Imgur that Nick hit the dude neck or above. Looks like he hit him in the chest/shoulder.

Our DBs should be more aware of this though. It's not a new rule. If you tackle a guy fundamentally, you can still hit him hard, and it will probably hurt more than if you come in and try to blow him up. Those hits hurt a lot less if they come with 15 extra yards and a new set of downs for your team.

Shoulder to the Gut while wrapping the legs is a perfect hit. Wrapping the legs makes sure the guy is going down and hit in gut or lower ribs hurts like heDoublehockeysticks.

So, will he be eligible to play against South Cackalacky?

Yes. I'm not sure if he played in the 2nd half against MSU but he was eligible to do so.

Wheeeeewwww!!!!! Thank the lord!

dead-horse.gif

+10

This is great!!!

+100 funny!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sure this dude is targeting a defenseless animal.

I thought that was a massage the horse seems to be liking it and if you look closely I think saying a little to the left however I can confirm there is a 100% chance that action or inaction with regard to the Nick issue will happen

This thread is still going?!?!?...lol!!!...i guess i'll chime in before it shuts down...don't think we'll miss a beat at the star position once Therezie graduates

i hope you're right but i love some RT.

Archived