Dallas Ebola Patient Dies

japantiger

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was supposed to be easily treated in the US?

http://www.foxnews.c...a-patient-dies/

Not sure where you got that impression, but no one has ever said Ebola is easy to treat. The fatality rate is still extremely high and survivors extremely rare. Potential vaccines for prevention and exotic medications undergoing trials are still unproven.

Where the US has an advantage over Africa is that those medications undergoing trials are available here and overall hospital care is better here (...explaining the US medical personnel that have survived upon treatment here.) Also , because more people have access to medical care, it's easier to identify and isolate patients early, to inform their family's, to limit contact with bodily fluids, and have highly trained personnel deal with such bodily fluids. In Africa, care giving more often involves "civilians" (family, friends, neighbors, etc.) untrained or even unaware of the dangers, with a much greater chance for the virus to spread.

Hospital error raises its ugly head once again. The first patient was sent home from the hospital despite telling the emergency room attendants in Dallas that he was from Liberia and was experiencing symptoms of ebola. Now, as a result, another person has ebola symptoms. People are dying everyday in America because of hospital error and i wont be surprised even a little if more people come down with this disease as a result.

C'mon, it was one minor glitch in the system. That's all it was. So he died. Folks die every day.

A top U.S. general admitted that a potential Ebola outbreak in Central America is a real threat to the United States and a scenario which could result in a mass migration across the U.S./Mexico border, as thousands would attempt to flee the deadly virus.

“The immediate thing that really keeps me up awake at night, I tell you, it’s the Ebola issue,” said Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly, the commander of U.S. Southern Command, to an audience at the National Defense Universityexternal-link.png on Tuesday. “There’s no way you can keep Ebola in West Africa.”

It’s a startling statement from Kelly who, as the man responsible for all U.S. military activities in South and Central America and the Caribbean, oversees a slew of serious issues from human trafficking to drug trade. During the videotaped event,external-link.png the general said that many countries in Western hemisphere have “no ability” to deal with an outbreak of this sort, and much like we are seeing in West Africa, the disease “would rage for some period of time.”

“If Ebola breaks into Haiti, and Central America, I think it is literally ‘Katie by the bar’ in terms of the mass migration of Central Americans into the United States,” Kelly said, of the thousands he foresees fleeing countries like Honduras, El Salvaldor and Guatemala if an Ebola outbreak there were to occur. “These populations will move to either run away from Ebola or, in the fear of having been infected, to get to the United States, where it would be taken care of.”

The general added, “If there is an outbreak in the Caribbean, particularly in Central America, it would make the 68,000 unaccompanied children, I think, look like a small problem.”

http://latino.foxnew...merica-is-real/

Really? Nice straw man. All Im saying is the death of the one patient was avoidable. Are you suggesting that it wasn't?

Prove it. This disease has a high rate of death even with treatment.

Really? Nice straw man. All Im saying is the death of the one patient was avoidable. Are you suggesting that it wasn't?

Which makes it a possible epidemic nightmare even here in the US.

It doesn't proliferate readily in a country like ours. Containing ebola is a walk in the park if your country has a modern healthcare system.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/08/dallas-ebola-patient-dies/

It is, similar to other diseases the quicker it caught the better your chances. The U.S. Health care workers who got infected started getting treatment in Africa immediately and even got experimental drugs there. Bringing them here increased their chances of survival, which they did,

The Liberian was infected there and flew here and got in not reporting his condition. When he went to the Dallas ER he should have disclosed that he had been exposed to a person dying of Ebola. If the ER knew that, he probably would have been admitted, tested, and immediately treated. He actually was not exhibiting the classic Ebola symptoms at his first visit. We also do not know if he had other health problems that allowed the Ebola to quickly kill him. The average life span in Liberia is about 60.

http://www.foxnews.c...a-patient-dies/

Not sure where you got that impression, but no one has ever said Ebola is easy to treat. The fatality rate is still extremely high and survivors extremely rare. Potential vaccines for prevention and exotic medications undergoing trials are still unproven.

Where the US has an advantage over Africa is that those medications undergoing trials are available here and overall hospital care is better here (...explaining the US medical personnel that have survived upon treatment here.) Also , because more people have access to medical care, it's easier to identify and isolate patients early, to inform their family's, to limit contact with bodily fluids, and have highly trained personnel deal with such bodily fluids. In Africa, care giving more often involves "civilians" (family, friends, neighbors, etc.) untrained or even unaware of the dangers, with a much greater chance for the virus to spread.

This guy knows.

It doesn't proliferate readily in a country like ours. Containing ebola is a walk in the park if your country has a modern healthcare system.

You hope. I don't understand why the CDC is being so secretive about the freelance photographer and how he contracted the disease. I hope nobody else is affected by it obviously but Im not as confident in the medical community as you are for reasons we've already beaten to death. We disagree, which, is certainly not a surprise to me.

You hope. I don't understand why the CDC is being so secretive about the freelance photographer and how he contracted the disease. I hope nobody else is affected by it obviously but Im not as confident in the medical community as you are for reasons we've already beaten to death. We disagree, which, is certainly not a surprise to me.

Could involve HIPAA.

Are you talking about Ashoka Mukpo? Because it's pretty obvious how he contracted it if he has it. He was exposed to fluids from an infected individual in Liberia.

Are you talking about Ashoka Mukpo? Because it's pretty obvious how he contracted it if he has it. He was exposed to bodily fluids from an infected individual in Liberia.

of course but the story is his exposure was due to washing a car. Why does a free lance photographer working for NBC wash a car that an ebola victim died in?

of course but the story is his exposure was due to washing a car. Why does a free lance photographer working for NBC wash a car that an ebola victim died in?

I think you're seeing a conspiracy where there isn't one. He was cleaning the car of an in individual infected with the disease without PPE.

I think you're seeing a conspiracy where there isn't one. He was cleaning the car of an in individual infected with the disease without PPE.

No Im not. Im asking a simple question. The fact that the it cannot answer it shows the CDC is not being completely candid. The American people should know exactly how he contracted that disease. You're talking out your arse now. I've seen reports today that there are those in the medical community who fear the disease may be contracted through the air. Quick request a link.. :-\ ..its out there, you can find it, I did.

No Im not. Im asking a simple question. The fact that the it cannot answer it shows the CDC is not being completely candid. The American people should know exactly how he contracted that disease.

Google is your friend.

The British cameraman who contracted Ebola while working in Liberia is thought to have become infected when he was splashed as he spray-cleaned a vehicle in which a victim had died, his father has said.

You're talking out your arse now. I've seen reports today that there are those in the medical community who fear the disease may be contracted through the air. Quick request a link.. :-\/> ..its out there, you can find it, I did.

Airborne transmission has never been documented in any outbreak of this disease. It spreads in primates due to direct contact to infected bodily fluids. This includes droplets from sneezing or coughing.

It's not just a healthcare system issue, Ben. It's a community issue as well, and you can't stop that with a modern healthcare system. If it gets into low income populations you could severely overwhelm a system.

It's not just a healthcare system issue, Ben. It's a community issue as well, and you can't stop that with a modern healthcare system. If it gets into low income populations you could severely overwhelm a system.

Again, this disease does not proliferate easily.

Part of the reason for its spread in Africa are cultural and burial practices. They'll often hug the a highly infectious dead loved one, dress and prep them for burial without PPE. That, and a widespread mistrust of doctors and other healthcare workers you're unlikely to find here mean the individual is likely to become highly contagious before seeking treatment.

That is a very sobering but interesting link, USN. Thanks for that.

Hospital error raises its ugly head once again. The first patient was sent home from the hospital despite telling the emergency room attendants in Dallas that he was from Liberia and was experiencing symptoms of ebola. Now, as a result, another person has ebola symptoms. People are dying everyday in America because of hospital error and i wont be surprised even a little if more people come down with this disease as a result.

My God! This means that private companies are no more competent than the Government! :o

Archived