Week 8 (Bye) - Wednesday Updates

RunInRed

Coach Gus Malzahn met with the media post-practice ...

"We've had two good practices. They were intense. Our guys were really engaged."

Malzahn said they've been able to focus a lot more on individual players this week than a normal game week.

Malzahn is happy to note the team once again "got a chance to punt into the wind." (It's been windy in Auburn this week.)

Malzahn on whether Whitehead's status might change prior to the South Carolina game: "It's possible, but right now it hasn't."

Malzahn on whether he would outlaw players signing autographs: "We always want our guys to be fan-friendly."

@wareagleextra

Malzahn says Jermaine Whitehead has not practiced during his suspension: "He's not been a part of anything, nothing's changed."

Malzahn on Braden Smith: "He's a smart, guy, he's a very talented physical guy. He showed he can definitely be part of the depth situation."

Malzahn on RT Miller: "He's out practicing. He's better this week than he was last week." Miller will be evaluated more next week.

Malzahn on Nick Ruffin: "He's not playing like a true freshman. … The thing that's impressed me is his tackling."

Malzahn on DE Gimel President: "He's been very consistent, he's a very physical young man. … He's earned it."

@AUBlog

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on passing game: "It's just a matter of being more consistent. I know this week has really been good for us."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on new kicker/punter Daniel Carlson: "I think overall he's done an excellent job. We've asked a lot of him."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn said he doesn't foresee any major changes as the Tigers go forward, but there are things he'd look at.

@AUGoldMine

I'm not sure what everyone is expecting. What's left to say? They are practicing and trying to get more consistent.

I for one do not expect Whitehead to be back. The fact that he still isn't participating in anything tells me we've probably seen the last of him. Really too bad because he had a great start to the year. Good to see President stepping up at the DE position. Knew someone would have to and glad to see he is answering the bell.

Coach speak is something I've grown accustomed to over the past several years at this point.

It's a matter of survival in this state with a bama slanted media. Words get twisted and blown up pretty quickly.

Chizik would have been leveled on this board for "information" like that. Unfairly so too, I have no problem with our coaches playing anything they want close to the vest. Course he wasn't leveled when he was winning.

Really now though, what DID happen with Whitehead, in detail? Usually an assistant coach is there to pull a verbally spazzing player away from a rant before he does this amount of damage to himself. From starter to participating in NOTHING? Yet he's not kicked off the team per se. Very interesting. Puzzling.

I don't guess anyone has ever leaked the name of the assistant involved. I'm glad CGM has set this precedent for supporting his assistant coaches in these types of altercations. Regardless of who was right or wrong, coaches deserve respect from the players. Apparently Whitehead grossly underestimated Gus's support for his staff. Some head coaches would have shrugged it off if the player was a starter and maybe even asked the coach to back off.

I'm not sure what everyone is expecting. What's left to say? They are practicing and trying to get more consistent.

^^^This^^^

Archived