Spotlight on the short & intermediate routes

StatTiger

One of the reasons for Nick Marshall's drop in completion percentage this season is the lack of short to intermediate pass attempts through 6 games. Last season through Marshall's first 6 games, he attempted 17.4% of his passes beyond 20-yards of the line of scrimmage. This season it is 22.3%. Last season through his first 6 games, 35.7% of his pass attempts were beyond 10-yards of the line of scrimmage. This season it is 43.1%. Though his ratio of impact pass-plays has improved from last season, Auburn has missed out on opportunities to extend drives by attempting deep passes on third-down rather than targeting areas closer to the sticks. Hopefully this is something Auburn's coaches will research and address during the bye-week.

The play...

MSU-Duke32pass_zps2f49cd39.jpg

On this play Auburn has the ball at their own 41-yard line with a 1st & 10. The Tigers come out in a 4-WR with the intent of running a play-action pass, with Nick Marshall on a half-roll from the pocket. Duke Williams is lined up in the slot on the wide-side of the field with the safety play 11-yards off the line of scrimmage. At the snap Nick Marshall will play-action with Cameron Artis-Payne, making a slight roll to his right.

With the safety playing so far off Williams, Duke Williams will run a short button-hook to the 44-yard line. Nick Marshall delivers his pass over an oncoming pass-rusher to Williams, who spins up field. The safety attempts to recover the distance to make a play on Williams but Williams cuts inside of the safety to continue up field. Williams races down field for a 32-yard gain and an Auburn first down.

The short route takes advantage of the loose coverage and the roll-out by Marshall gives him a clear line of sight to his target. Last season through his first 6 games, Marshall completed 67.1% of his passes on first-down. This season it has dropped to 62.5%, primarily because of the increase in vertical passes. Last season Marshall closed out the last 6 games, completing 80.8% of his passes on first-down. Nick Marshall will need to make this kind of improvement to close out the second-half of the season if Auburn is to make another serious run for another championship.

Granted we do not have Gurley at RB, but overall have we ever had this much talent in skill positions? We should be unstoppable.

I felt like we were throwing the ball deep down the field a lot against MSU. That 43% number certainly speaks to that being the case. I wonder if that was intended by the coaches, or if Nick was perhaps trying to force deeper throws in an attempt to get back into the game. I saw a lot of time when it was 2nd or 3rd down with 8+ to go and we elected to throw deep over the middle when we had CAP wide open and uncovered for what looked to be guaranteed first downs. We certainly completed some of those deeper passes for more yards than CAP would have gotten on the check down, but not all were complete. It seemed to me that we would want to take the more guaranteed yards for the first down and continue the drive.

So play calling is a problem. ;)/>

It can be at times.... It can also be QB progressions, execution or decision making.

It can be at times.... It can also be QB progressions, execution or decision making.

Seems like we try a lot lower probability throws when we should be trying for first downs.

Seems like we try a lot lower probability throws when we should be trying for first downs.

This is true. I projected before the season started this would likely be the case. The coaches wanted more explosive plays in the passing game. I figured we would get em but the tradeoff would be a lower completion pct.

I just never figured we'd have so many balls dropped by the receivers. I understand that Nick doesn't have the greatest mechanics in the world. That has been known ever since he came here. His mechanics are what they are but even at times when he puts the ball in the place where they can catch it but then they don't.

This is true. I projected before the season started this would likely be the case. The coaches wanted more explosive plays in the passing game. I figured we would get em but the tradeoff would be a lower completion pct.

What I wonder though, did they expect to be stronger in the run game to compliment those passes? We are getting far less yards per carry on first down, which is setting up longer distances on 2nd and 3rd down. If we are relying on the pass as our main method of moving down the field and sustaining drives, instead of the run, then we would need to shift our passing attack accordingly.

What I wonder though, did they expect to be stronger in the run game to compliment those passes? We are getting far less yards per carry on first down, which is setting up longer distances on 2nd and 3rd down. If we are relying on the pass as our main method of moving down the field and sustaining drives, instead of the run, then we would need to shift our passing attack accordingly.

I'm quite sure they expected a drop off from the 328-yards per game from 2013. Regardless of the running game, the plan was make more impact-plays in the passing game. The 262-yards AU is averaging right now is still very good. IMO, some fans were spoiled by the 360-yards rushing AU averaged during the last 10 games of the season. It's like comparing every RB at Auburn to Bo Jackson.

He is far more comfortable outside the pocket, it seems. We need to see more plays with him on the move.

how many passes are they expecting greater that 15 yards (in the air). 5 a game would typically be a lot. Throw 10 yard or quick slants/outs and let our speed do the rest like the example above. We have very physical receivers.

A blurb from ESPN after the State game.

Nick Marshall attempted a career-high 14 passes thrown 15 yards or longer Saturday. Auburn dropped to 1-3 when Marshall attempts 10 or more such throws compared with 16-0 when he attempts fewer than 10.

I know nick has a strong arm but he almost never hits deep balls. The slants early in the year to Duke work. Start games with those throws and bubble screens/ drag routes. Get his confidence up before going deep. Btw, do we even have drag or rub routes. Those are awesome for yac

I know nick has a strong arm but he almost never hits deep balls. The slants early in the year to Duke work. Start games with those throws and bubble screens/ drag routes. Get his confidence up before going deep. Btw, do we even have drag or rub routes. Those are awesome for yac

Gus' strength has been taking advantage of players strengths-- he isn't really doing that this year.

Archived